Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replacing caps (not strictly console related)

Options
  • 13-02-2011 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭

alright chaps. got myself a dell gx270 desktop today. the one thats notorious for bad caps opened it for a look and half the caps on the board are dead but the machine runs perfectly, want to use it as a SFF server if i can, so whats the story with the caps? are they hard to replace? google tells me it needs the following, where and for how much can i get these?

11X Rubycon MCZ 1800uf 6.3v 8mm

5X Rubycon MCZ 1500uf 6.3v 10mm

3X Rubycon MCZ 1800uf 16v 10mm

1X Rubycon MCZ 680uF 10v 8mm

posting this here because i know a fair few of the console modding people have faced this before, if it can be done very cheaply by myself i will do it otherwise ill just run it till it till it goes to ****e on me and bin it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

ie.farnell.com

They'll probably have all the parts. Minimum order of €20 though.

All you have to do (Providing they're not surface mounted) is desolder the pins from the underside of the motherboard and resolder in the new caps. Nothing to it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Never mind brands, it's the uF, voltage, type and size you need when looking. Polarity matters on some caps so make sure you know the type of the old ones and remember polarity :) Radionics is another site to search too.

Easy as pie as partyatmygaff said :)

Advertisement