Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cleaning N64 cartridge slot and cartridges?

• 13-02-2011 9:17pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Ever since I got my N64 second hand it's had trouble reading games. You'd usually have to insert the cartridges multiple times gently to get them to boot. The cartridge slot is what can only be descrived as absolutely disgusting and the console was bought like this. What's the best method for cleaning the cartridge slot and also cartridges while we are at it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Cart slot - Credit card type thing covered in some sort of cloth. Dip in rubbing alcohol and insert into the slot.

Carts - Cotton swabs and rubbing alcohol. Or if you can get the pcbs out of the cases, try those crumbly rubbers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Where do I get this rubbing alcohol you speak of or is there alternatives?

Master of the Universe

It's Isopropyl Alcohol. I'm sure you could nab some from college? ;)

Maybe a DIY store? I robbed the stuff I used from my parents house so never had to buy it.

I've used just water before with cotton swabs on carts as it's worked well. The swabs come out black!

/Edit - old thread about getting it here..should still be relevant though -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055640166

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nice we've **** loads of that in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Windowlene works pretty well too, it did a good job on the NES carts I tried it with.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Any idea what's in Windowlene?

Might want to make sure whatever it is doesn't leave behind residue that interferes with electronics!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Well it hasn't done yet anyway! Stuff evaporates pretty quickly, and obviously tried it with a couple of doubles first. Just used one side of a q-tip to apply it and the other to dry it up. Mind you if I'd have had rubbing alcohol handy that's absolutely what I'd have used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

Since we are a small country and things are harder to get,Isopropyl Alcohol is actually used in many cleaning materials,example electrical contact cleaner,cleaning fluid in the ye olde tape cleaners,but of course let it dry out as its flammable!.

*check wiki and the actual bottle ingredients to learn more ;).

Appropriated a bit of ISA from the lab. We have a 5L winchester up there so I'm sorted. Can't wait to see how filthy the N64 really is.

Thanks for the help guys. Cleaned my N64 and it actually wasn't so bad. Turns out it's some of my games that are filthy, specifically the ones I picked up years ago in gamesexchange. Tried Goldeneye which gives me some trouble. Q-tip came back filthy. Put it in the N64, worked straight away, no need to place it in gently and try it a few times. Next Perfect Dark, again works perfectly now. The final test was Blast Corp, a game that when I got it I thought it was broken until I got it to work after about 50 tries. Q-tip was absolutely manky. Usually I need to be really careful inseting the game into the N64 then perform a virgin sacrifice to the gaming gods before it works. Bangied it in and it worked first time. Now to clean my entire collection!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Nice one :)

I always wondered, how the hell did some peoples carts get so manky? Were they spilling their coke on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Always wondered that too o1s1n even some of my mates from the old days when I'd be at thier houses looking at thier carts they'd look like they were being stored underground in a coal mine or something. Now I don't want to call anyone a pikey but these people were pikeys because no matter how you look at it something that lives in a box and is taken out occasionally and put in a console beside the tv shouldn't be able to get in that condition

Master of the Universe

Same, I remember a few of my friends would ask to swap Megadrive carts for a lend. Would have to take booklets out just in case they chewed on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

o1s1n wrote: »
    Same, I remember a few of my friends would ask to swap Megadrive carts for a lend. Would have to take booklets out just in case they chewed on them.

Exactly they'd treat the games/cases/booklets as if they were nothing sure thier least favourite toy would get treated better than the games:(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    ...Tried Goldeneye which gives me some trouble...

Ah here we go again! Oh old on, you meant... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    then perform a virgin sacrifice to the gaming gods before it works.

You kill yourself before turning on the N64 every time? :eek:

Master of the Universe

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ah, genuine LOL at work in the middle of a quiet office. damn you :p

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ah, genuine LOL at work in the middle of a quiet office. damn you :p

They'll be all like "Sshh here's yer man who laughs at his desk coming" :p

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    They'll be all like "Sshh here's yer man who laughs at his desk coming" :p

Well it's still better than -

'shhh here's yer man who's always browsing boards.ie and never doing a tap of work' :D

Well it's still better than -

'shhh here's yer man who's always browsing boards.ie and never doing a tap of work' :D

Oooohhh, o1s1n's consoles just got bumped to the end of the list :P

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    Oooohhh, o1s1n's consoles just got bumped to the end of the list :P

I wouldn't do that if I were you. I rigged one of those consoles with a bomb. If the speed drops under 55mph...oh wait, wrong bomb.

:(

Advertisement