Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaining about staff

Options
  • 13-02-2011 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was wondering if this is a valid reason to complain. I went into a shop to buy something and met the most miserable looking shop assistant. In the 20 minutes I was talking to her she made me feel more and more uncomfortable. I'm not a difficult customer and I don't expect too much but I left the shop without the item I really needed to buy because I just wanted to get away from her!

I've never complained about staff before so I was wondering what happens after you have made a complaint? I've been a customer of this shop for a few years and this has put me off going back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daveyid89

Not sure I understand the problem?, Why were you uncomfortable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

I was uncomfortable because she was very standoffish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I'm sure that they wished they were as happy as you, give them a break...ya never know what maybe going on....as long as their not pig ignorant

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

Just wondering why you felt the need to carry on talking to her for 20 minutes. Maybe she had pressing things on her mind or duties she needed to carry out during this time. If the item was so important, maybe you should have just bought it, was it an expensive item or did you need more information about the product?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daveyid89

I get you now. They may have been having a particularly bad day I suppose.

Although I have noticed from both a consumer and sales perspective that there are alot of Irish sales assistants who could not be bothered selling products. More strange when it includes places with large commission structures as well.

Not making a generalization now but just saying its a trend Ive noticed a good few times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

daveyid89 wrote: »
    Although I have noticed from both a consumer and sales perspective that there are alot of Irish sales assistants who could not be bothered selling products. More strange when it includes places with large commission structures as well.
    Some only sell to those that want to buy what they good commission on, as opposed to some tat that they get no bonus for selling. Not directed at you, but from what I've noticed myself.

bmarley wrote: »
    Just wondering why you felt the need to carry on talking to her for 20 minutes. Maybe she had pressing things on her mind or duties she needed to carry out during this time. If the item was so important, maybe you should have just bought it, was it an expensive item or did you need more information about the product?

I was talking to her intermittently while she checked my details etc. It would have been rude to leave while she was in the middle of doing that. The product is expensive and in order to get it I would have had to endure another hour with her.

I know everyone can have an off day but it seemed to be more her personality than just a mood. I guess you would have needed to have been there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Sounds like it was your fault, what were you buying?

RasTa wrote: »

How is it my fault the girl was like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

I was talking to her intermittently while she checked my details etc. It would have been rude to leave while she was in the middle of doing that. The product is expensive and in order to get it I would have had to endure another hour with her.

I know everyone can have an off day but it seemed to be more her personality than just a mood. I guess you would have needed to have been there.

Did she give good service?

Would the buying process have taken an hour with another sales assistant?

It think it is unfair to complain just because there was a personality clash.

However, if she was rude, unhelpful, etc. I would complain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Doom wrote: »
    I'm sure that they wished they were as happy as you, give them a break...ya never know what maybe going on....as long as their not pig ignorant

Retail staff represent the company they work for and any personal issues should be left at the door before starting work.

I expect staff I have to treat every customer as the most important person in the store at that moment - even if they are just browsing or spending just €2.

But then I also respect my staff and pay a proper rate.

I'd have a quiet word with owner / manager who could then have quiet word in staff ear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

RasTa wrote: »

Nonsense. She needs to pull herself together and do her job. We all do.

I'd certainly complain. The owner/manager couyld be losing a lot of trade if she isn't brought to task.

Advertisement