Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can I get the landlord to pay for?

Options
  • 13-02-2011 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So myself and my girlfriend are renting our current apartment for a year now. It was semi furnished when we moved in.

I asked the letting agent to ask the landlord to buy new mattresses when we moved in and this was no problem.

The couch which was here when we moved in is really worn out at this stage. Now we have no problems to buy a new sofa ourselves but just wondering if the landlord would,should,could get us a new sofa.

Thanks for any feedback

Comments

If the couch is worn out the landlord should replace it. If it's not then he may not want it replaced and if you do at your own expense will you be leaving the one you buy there when you move out? It get's a bit painful really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

RoverJames wrote: »
    If the couch is worn out the landlord should replace it. If it's not then he may not want it replaced and if you do at your own expense will you be leaving the one you buy there when you move out? It get's a bit painful really.

I understand. I would suggest this apartment has been letted out for 3 years and we have been living here 1 year. I reckon its the same couch since it has been first let out

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Hi
    I pointed out that our sofa had "sunk" to our landlady after being here for about a year.
    She surprised me by getting a new suite in without coming to inspect said sofa. (admittedly the replacement was second hand, but still nice and good quality).

No harm in pointing it out to your LL.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    I understand. I would suggest this apartment has been letted out for 3 years and we have been living here 1 year. I reckon its the same couch since it has been first let out

and you think its reasonable to replace a suite of furniture every three years ?

i think this comment is a prime example of renters being unreasonable with thier expectations. OP I dont think your unreasonable, but just a little out of touch due to clearly never having owned your own furniture.

i think this comment is a prime example of renters being unreasonable with thier expectations. OP I dont think your unreasonable, but just a little out of touch due to clearly never having owned your own furniture

Please don't make assumptions about me please. As I said earlier the apartment came semi furnished and we brought most of the furniture from our last apartment plus buying new furniture. We have no problems to buy our own sofa but if the landlord would pay for a new one then why the hell would we buy it ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I think the point that D3PO was making was that a sofa should last longer than three years. So assuming the sofa was new when place was first let out, it's probably unreasonable to ask landlord to replace it.

Unless if course the sofa was second hand previously or completely shoddy that it wouldnt last three years.

irlrobins wrote: »
    I think the point that D3PO was making was that a sofa should last longer than three years. So assuming the sofa was new when place was first let out, it's probably unreasonable to ask landlord to replace it.

Unless if course the sofa was second hand previously or completely shoddy that it wouldnt last three years.

well to be honest I don't really know how old the sofa is. All I can say it is not in a good condition anymore and needs to be replaced. I thought I would check with the letting agent first before buying one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭timmythesheep

well to be honest I don't really know how old the sofa is. All I can say it is not in a good condition anymore and needs to be replaced. I thought I would check with the letting agent first before buying one myself.

What condition was it in when you moved in?

irlrobins wrote: »

this is exactly what I meant. I wasnt having a pop at the OP.

A good quality suite should last longer than 3 years if looked after. The fact you can write off furniture dpreciation as an asset over 7 years in terms of your rental accounts gives a truer picture regarding expectations a landlord would have regarding such an asset.

now by all means OP ask the question, but I wouldnt expect the answer to be yes,. Who knows though.

Please don't make assumptions about me please. As I said earlier the apartment came semi furnished and we brought most of the furniture from our last apartment plus buying new furniture. We have no problems to buy our own sofa but if the landlord would pay for a new one then why the hell would we buy it ourselves.

well I dont know you, or the situation and this is an internet message board so you are forced to make assumptions when replying sometimes. I wasnt having a pop.

re why pay if the landlord will. Totally agree, if you dont ask you dont get. Im just saying to necessarily expect or believe your entitled to a new suite.

• Advertisement
Advertisement