Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For ex-leaving certs....

• 13-02-2011 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

When you did your leaving, did you get more points or less points then you thought you would?
    Did you do a lot of work?
    Do you think it is hyped up and everyone does better then they think, like the JC?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

When you did your leaving, did you get more points or less points then you thought you would?
    Do you think it is hyped up and everyone does better then they think, like the JC?

-did my LC 2007
    -got about 100 more points than I'd hoped for
    -yes, I broke my balls for it
    -it is not hyped up. In saying that, I worked hard and got my first choice and am very grateful now that I put in all that effort. If I had ended up with lower points and my 3rd or 4th choice, I'm sure I could string together an excuse and say that it is all pure hype. But I really don't think it is. It is very important.
    -I did much better than I thought I would, but you can't answer that question on anything but an individual basis.
    -JC doesn't compare to the LC, in any regard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭wtrdfrd18

- Did mine last year, June 2010.

- Got 445 points, was aiming for about that,but didnt think I'd get it considering the amount of work(or lack thereof) I put in so was happy out.

- Got my first choice...media studies in maynooth, but dropped out 10 weeks into it. Just wasn't working out. Going back to do Gen.Nursing in September. CAN.NOT.WAIT to get back to it!

- Definetly wouldnt say everyone does better than they think, some are lucky and exceed expectation, others are bitterly disappointed. I'd say its 50/50 really!

- As regards hype, yes it is hyped up but I don't know, I just didn't really let myself get caught up in it. Sure I was ****ting a break 5 minutes before every exam, but what will be will be!

- Final thought as a person who did their LC last June?... It comes down to luck. Sure, if you do the work, you will be lucky no matter what comes up, but for those kind of tinkering around a bit, as I did... It's pure and utter luck what comes up on the paper.. Knew one question for King Lear last year, it came up.. but on the same side, knew loads of essays for Irish, nothing even remotely similar came up for me!

Good luck everyone.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Dr. Ring

Did my Leaving Cert last year (2010). I worked very hard in 5th year in everything but in 6th year I put more effort into some subjects and let a few others slide. I still managed to get 530 points which was 50 more than I needed. But to get a very good leaving cert. you have to work hard for it. End of.

I feel the Leaving is hyped up to some extent. It is made out to be this "make or break" assessment and if you dont do well, your life is over. Not true. In reality, the Leaving Cert. is what you want it to be. If you work hard then you will do very well in it. If you don't, you wont. But by no means is the Leaving the "be all and end all". There is life after the Leaving Certificate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

I got a good few more than i thought I would,but I did work f***in hard for it.
    Yes
    I do think that it's hyped up to no end,like it's the most important thing in the world,then come september nobody will ever ask you what points you got again.everyone doesn't do better than they think,a lot will end up disappointed with what they got either because they didn't study enough or just screwed up on the day.You should have a fair idea what you are capable of getting beforehand though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Did mine in 2009. Had high enough expectations to start with, studied well until the end of October.. and I never came off that mid term break. Totally gave up on myself and pretty much didn't study. Just did homework (well, most of the time anyway :D) and that was it. I got 485 and in hindsight I could've gotten the course I wanted (vet med) had I stuck with studying consistently, but I totally gave up. So don't give up!

It's definitely hyped up. After my friends and I got our results there seemed to be a moment of clarity when we just went '.. that was it?! That wasn't so hard!'. Just don't focus on other people when they freak out or go on about how important and life changing is, put your head down and concentrate on yourself and you'll be fine. After all, there's always repeats! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Did mine last year. Got 5 less points than I thought I would, and 20 less than I would've liked to. I got 580. Didn't do a colossal amount of work, did a fair bit though, was fairly intense for the month or so beforehand, by my standards anyway. Pretty much learned the entire History course and the Chemistry course to perfection (which is where the work was focused), breezed through the subjects I knew for certain I'd ace (Maths, Applied Maths, Accounting) and did as little as possible for my languages, as I hated them.

People tend to way over stress themselves for it. It's not that difficult, and not that big a deal. Relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Melissa89

Did my LC in 06 and again in 07. Got less than i hoped for first time round, studied really hard, but I had hit my wall by the time the exams came round, wasn't sleeping either, was going into exams with no sleep for a couple of nights, put it down to that and repeated (also, I was 16 and was too young to go to college). Suffered worse the next time round, but went to see the doctor and that helped me do better in the exams next time round, got points I was hoping for (but if I wasn't stressed I could have done better), didn't get my first choice which was Home Ec teaching, but got Science instead and it worked out better for me.

For that reason I would say the LC is hyped up. The hype had such a negative impact on me. obviously it's important, cos it's the rest of your life you're thinking about. But I think the whole LC needs a remodel.

When you did your leaving,
    did you get more points or less points then you thought you would?
    Way more. About 200 more than I thought I would. We even had a bet going down the pub on how bad I'd do.
    No. But I was EXTREMELY lucky.
    No. I feel guilty every time the LC comes up in convo with my friends, because they all worked harder than me and some of them didn't do nearly as well as they wanted to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

-did it in 2009?
    -not to sound big headed but I kind of knew I had my course by then, only wanted to go into a 360pts course (got around 450 in my mocks) and got 510 in the real thing
    -Yes I broke my balls for it
    -As another poster said it's not hyped up but people will make that excuse if they don't get the points they need. Definitely more important than the jc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

- Did it in 2010
    - Way more than I thought, got about 70 or 80 more than I expected.
    - Not really. Did absolutely nothing before the Mocks but after worked a lot harder - started getting grinds in Biology. The month before the Leaving I tried really hard, especially in Biology and Maths.
    - For me, it was so hyped up in 5th year that by 6th year I was just sorta like "Yeah yeah" and didn't pay any attention to how close it was getting. It is sort of made out to be the be all and end all, but it really isn't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement