Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boosting signal from Roof Aerial

• 13-02-2011 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

I'm in Millford Donegal and have a roof aerial that was installed by a guy before DTT - so originally setup for analogue.

It gets analogue ok (bit fuzzy but seems everywhere in Donegal analogue tv is fuzzy) and DTT perfect most of the time *but* it seems that the signal strength out of the aerial is only just strong enough.

If I connect the RF aerial lead to the Hard Disk recorder then patch it back to the TV, DTT is almost always completely gone. It's not the patch lead either - tried a few different ones and sometimes it's ok.

I've tried two different amplified signal splitters as follows:

1 Labgear Multipoint 4 TV / FM Booster Model MSE141

and

2 Commtel [although I think branded as either HomeBase or Halfords or something) 4 set distribution Unti UHF 470 - 860 Mhz. Gain: 13dB Noise: Less than 3dB Output 98dBuv

Neither seemed to improve things and in fact on connecting the roof aerial to one of these and then back to the tv the DTT signal is again gone.

Any thoughts? Do I have the wrong type of booster or am I wasting my time?

Funnily enough I have a small standard rabbit ears with telescopic antennae amplified aerial that seems to work ok if it's near to the window....

The one thing I don't understand is that using one of the signal boosters with the Blaze Tv software on my PC shows a 4 bar [of out 5] signal - so much improved, yet the picture breaks up so badly as to be unwatchable.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Shouldn't the loopthrough in the recorder amplify the signal slightly?

If the indoor aerial works you must have useful signal strength (fuzzy analogue notwithstanding), maybe too much amplification is the problem. Signal quality is more important, once the strength is above threshold levels.

Assuming you're talking about Saorview (Irish DTT) & the outdoor aerial is pointed at Hollywell Hill (though looking at a map I see hills between there & Milford), the digital channels are in the same group as the analogue, so the correct aerial will work for both.

Was the installation carried out on your own behalf? If so you would know if it's performance on analogue had deteriorated over time, which might point to some other problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

From what I know of Milford it's not the easiest spot for reception. But exact location really matters. There may be a better chance of digital reception when the Fanad relay is switched on for Saorview later this year. Is your TV3 reception worse (or better) than the other 3 channels and what aerial(s) do you have on your roof?

Advertisement