Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

County plan for Carigtwohill

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

"Masterplan" seems like the wrong name to me....

I suppose the planners still have to do their job, but tbh, with no funding, they might as well be drawing moon rockets. That relief road around the back of the town has been planned for ages but there's no money there to build it. Spratts was offered to the council before the building where Paddy Power's is was rebuilt but they weren't interested then. Maybe they couldn't forsee that building **** loads of houses down that road would cause extra traffic problems at an already busy junction....

They also want to widen the main road there and put in a turning lane. They seem to completely miss the vacant lot, empty house and car park at the other side of the road when looking for space. A right turn lane and a set of traffic lights (on sensors) would make a huge difference there, and tbh, even if you just narrowed the footpath on the south side of the street there'd probably be room.

It's nice that they have a plan for some green areas and sports grounds, but why in god's name do they think we need more housing? And ****ing apartments of all things. There's loads of empty houses and **** loads of empty apartments in the existing unfinished developments. Why would anyone build more? There's also plenty of empty commercial premises around the place. TBH, I can't see most of that being needed for 50+ years.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

well they are only going to provide a very small amount of green space, about one GAA pitch size. and that included some waste ground by one the sliproads into the village.

it is crazy to have all those empty apts and it comes donw to the planning laws and the green party

There is also planning permission already granted for a very large storage facility behind cptters pharmacy on the main street.

From the plan it says 20 hectares. For an area that size, it sounds like a lot to me. If you consider the existing GAA facilities (gym + pitches), the council's astro turf, Carrigtwohill United AFC's pitch, Glenmary hall and the running track at the girl's secondary school, we're not that badly served for sports facilities. The problem tends to be capacity at peak times rather than capacity. Of course, I'd expect at least half that green space to magically disappear if the developments ever happened.

There's still appeals going on over that site behind the pharmacy. Basically the developer, who already has empty commercial units in the town, and is trying to offload property to NAMA, wants to build a massive "new town center" down there. The plans include (another) supermarket, shops, an underground car park and... ....more ****ing apartments. It would be madness to build that development now, since it wouldn't be needed until the existing housing developments are finished, and that could be twenty years.

I also don't feel like paying for it - at this stage we all realise that the developer's don't speculatate with their own money, or even the bank's - it's our money that ends up lining those ****er's pockets. The plans also call for changes to the existing town center to basically ruin the businesses already there. Again in the name of traffic free-flow. None of the plans are based on reality and rumours abound of brown envelopes to the council and others.....

Public meeting in the community Hall on 14 march

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

This masterplan is about 6 years out of date. You have to wonder if Have these people have actually been to carrigtohill. They should use the budgets they have to sort out pressing problems and leave the plan in a drawer until things improve.

Junction at spratts in critical. It's a crazy situation at the moment. Also whoever put in the traffic lights at the train station should be shot. I travel that road about twice a day and if I see 3 cars a week come out of there on a green light it's a lot.

• Advertisement

What kills me is that the owner's of Spratts will tell you they offered the building to the council before the height of the boom. They refused point blank. There's probably all sorts of justifications, and I'm sure the price wouldn't have been value for money (what was at the time?), but surely it should have been a priority.

In saying that the sacrifice for better traffic flow there could have been the council's astro turf pitch which I love using. Maybe we could have paid for both on the never-never like everything in this country is paid for.....

What kills me is that the owner's of Spratts will tell you they offered the building to the council before the height of the boom. They refused point blank. There's probably all sorts of justifications, and I'm sure the price wouldn't have been value for money (what was at the time?), but surely it should have been a priority.

In saying that the sacrifice for better traffic flow there could have been the council's astro turf pitch which I love using. Maybe we could have paid for both on the never-never like everything in this country is paid for.....

the astro pitch being sacrificed for traffic flow ? dont get that... a road coming through there would not help.

The castlelake development should have been made finish the road from the high rise apts to the entrance of Cul Ard which was a stipuation of the castlelake planning. but the developers got away without completing it.
    if that was there people in castlelake would be able to use the train station more easily, and divert some/alot of traffic from the spratts junction....

I meant they would probably have had to sacrifice the budget for the astro turf pitch to buy the building.

The castlelake developers got away with murder. They originally promised to build the road first.

there was only a grant of about €50 given to the pitch... rest came from lottery and fund raising, and bank loans afaik...

yep castlelake, defo got away with murder in not finishing what they should have..even the half finished apt blocks are a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Amgen gave a fair bit of money towards the pitch before they eventually pulled out.

• Advertisement

I don't think Amgen gave anything for the astro turf pitch. The impression I get off the council is that they're in a **** load of debt because of it. I think Amgen gave a fortune towards Carrigtwohill AFC's facilities out near the site though. I wonder how public the council's accounts are....

• Registered Users Posts: 15 oldfecker

Amgen gave No money towards the astro pitch.

The gave land on loan to the soccer club, where the factory was to be based.

afaik the council are not in trouble with the pitch loans. They got money from Council, lottery funds, and fund raising, and bank loans, the money coming in through rent covers the loans...

Anyone interested in joining the community council can go along to the monthly meeting, usually the first tuesday of the month......

p.s. - not affialiated with them

Advertisement