Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 car seats in the car! is it possible?

Options
  • 13-02-2011 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

hiya all,

we recently had our third baby and we are delighted:). however we are wondering about fitting 3 car seats in the car! we drive a peugeout 307 (cannot upgrade car due to it still being paid for and in 'negative equity!!').

we have a 6 year old in a high back booster, a 3 year old in the 2 stage seat and now our newborn in the rear facing seat. that seat is currently in the passenger seat at the front with the airbag disabled which is not ideal.

also when the 5 of us went out i had to squeeze into the back between the two larger seats-not comfortable!

can anyone advise us please, maybe suggestions of any car seats with smaller bases?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I can fit a group 0+ and 2 group 2 in my back. the maxi cosi in the middle and the other 2 either side. the 2 each side are at a slight angle but fine. I have a 06 swift. Can do the same with a 00 106. obviously both cars have 3 x 3 point belts in the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I have a verso and can squeeze everything in, but before we had the verso we had a megan and the 3 seats would not fit, i asked a garda and they said that i can have one child in the seat without a booster but with the seat belt on, he said for me bring the booster in boot and to show a garda if we stopped that they wont fit.

Check the RSA website and it may be on that.

http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Road-Safety/Campaigns/Current-road-safety-campaigns/No-Child-Car-Seat---No-Excuse/The-Law/

The Law

Seatbelts save lives. And now wearing seatbelts is the law. Why? According AA Motoring Trust, "Ensuring a child is properly restrained in a child car seat can reduce injuries by a factor of 90-95% for rear facing seats and 60% for forward facing seats"

Now it's EU law: All children must travel in a child seat, booster seat or booster cushion.

Rule of thumb: if there's a safety belt, you must use it. It's the drivers' responsibility to be sure their passengers are using seat belts and appropriate child restraints.

The specifics
    For cars and goods vehicles (including MPV and SUVs):

Children under 3 can only travel in cars or goods vehicles if there are fitted with the appropriate child restraint. Taxis are exempt from this rule.
    Children between ages 3 and 12 must use an appropriate child restraint in cars or goods vehicles if they are fitted with safety belts
    If the car or goods vehicle doesn't have safety belts, they must sit in the back seat.
    In passenger seats with an active airbag, rear-facing child restraints must not be used.
    For buses:
    Children between 3 and 12 must use safety belts if they are fitted
    If seatbelts are available, bus drivers are required to tell passengers that it is the law to wear them
    The exemptions
    Taxis, hackneys and limousines do not need to have every kind of child restraints available
    A child over 3 can wear a seatbelt in the back seat of a car or a goods vehicle if there is no more room for a child safety seat If it is not possible to place your child in the back seat of your vehicle, they can ride in the passenger seat, as long as they are using the appropriate restraints.
    Child restraints come in several weight classes so you can find the appropriate one for your child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I can fit a group 0+ and 2 group 2 in my back. the maxi cosi in the middle and the other 2 either side. the 2 each side are at a slight angle but fine. I have a 06 swift. Can do the same with a 00 106. obviously both cars have 3 x 3 point belts in the back.

Have you had your seats checked in a nursery store to say they are fine to be at a slight angle? If car seats aren't fitted correctly then they won't work on impact....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

no, but i can ask at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Days

Seats at an angle sound dodge to me! I think it's insane how big the seats are!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

finally got around to fitting the car seats in the car today - due date for no 3.
    We have a baby seat on a base in the middle and an evolva123 group2 and highback booster to one side and a booster to the other in a volvo s40. took a little bit of jiggling, but done. measure your seat and measure the carseats. the narrowest booster seats (or highback booster) we saw was 15ins

Advertisement