Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are you and your families voting

Options
  • 13-02-2011 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭

Out of interest how are you and your families voting? Just checking to see if galway has an FF fanbase.

Me - Im gearing towards labour and not sure who I will give the rest of the numbers to yet.
    Family belong to the anyone but FF brigade.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Looking like a very anti FF/Green vote, can't say for certain who they will all vote for, but i know who they won't .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Out of interest, do the 'anyone but FF brigade' believe FG will do a better job? Because that is who you are esentially voting in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Button12

FG aren't all that bad.. Just the thought of Enda Kenny as Taoiseach sickens me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Out of interest, do the 'anyone but FF brigade' believe FG will do a better job? Because that is who you are esentially voting in.

I think people realise whoever is in will be under the IMF's and our European overlords control for the next few years, but they want to punish the party who has severely damaged us over the past few years.

galwayrush wrote: »
    I think people realise whoever is in will be under the IMF's and our European overlords control for the next few years

Unless you vote SF :)

• Advertisement

I'll be voting FG like I always do, same with my family always voted FG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭996tt

Canvassers(Michael Crowes mate) wife will be voting the way canvasser tells her
    Canvasser wrote: »
    Cubbard is a good lad, met him a few times. Will be getting a high preference from myself. I've told the wife to give him a #4 preference too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

FF has bolloxed up so much I doubt any party will be able to fix whats coming.

ilovesleep wrote: »
    FF has bolloxed up so much I doubt any party will be able to fix whats coming.

No but they could make things worse. You only need to look across the Irish Sea for that.

No but they could make things worse. You only need to look across the Irish Sea for that.

You're right.

FG will tax us into a famine. Im totally against their VAT increase. That would kill everyone.

• Advertisement

FG will tax us into a famine. Im totally against their VAT increase. That would kill everyone.
    How much are they proposing? Because they had a decrease (and then increase) in England and it didn't really make a difference seeing as no shops passed the savings on to their customers anyway.
    Not sure if you're being sarcastic tbh >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Out of interest how are you and your families voting? Just checking to see if galway has an FF fanbase.

Surely looking at the results on boards.ie/vote will give the most accurate answer to that...

http://www.boards.ie/vote/results.php?type=local&c_id=24

foto joe wrote: »
    Surely looking at the results on boards.ie/vote will give the most accurate answer to that...

http://www.boards.ie/vote/results.php?type=local&c_id=24

In fairness it's hardly the most accurate. As far as I know in the real world children can't vote and each person only has one vote

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Wont be voting Labour without a doubt. After that not so sure, dont want to vote FF so options are getting slim :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Have just read the websites of the top two candidates; nolan and Naughton. Naughton has not said a single word about what her policies or intentions are, shes just criticised the current government. Nolan has just spoken about jobs and reform in a very vague fashion.

Still lots of sites to trawl through but I'm disappointed with the two candidates that are getting the highest rating so far. Do people not want to vote in someone who's strong, determined, focussed on what they want to change and clear about how they intend to do it. So far it's more of the same bull****.

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Wont be voting Labour without a doubt. After that not so sure, dont want to vote FF so options are getting slim :rolleyes:

Why would you not vote for labour? I'd be interested to hear your reasons because they're looking like the most promising to me at the moment. The fact that they plan to renegotiate the IMF bailout and hold the bondholders responsible for the losses are two things that no other party are supporting and the are the two things that have caused and will further the recession and poverty of this country.

I never have and never will vote FF and it shocks me to my core that there are still people in this country supporting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

996tt wrote: »
    In fairness it's hardly the most accurate. As far as I know in the real world children can't vote and each person only has one vote

Yes but this thread is being presented to the same pool of people...

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

dafunk wrote: »
    Why would you not vote for labour? I'd be interested to hear your reasons because they're looking like the most promising to me at the moment. The fact that they plan to renegotiate the IMF bailout and hold the bondholders responsible for the losses are two things that no other party are supporting and the are the two things that have caused and will further the recession and poverty of this country.

I never have and never will vote FF and it shocks me to my core that there are still people in this country supporting them.

I think you will find that Sinn Fein are also promising the same in regards to the IMF and the bondholders. I always went FF but after what they have done never again. Leaning towards Labour(1) Sinn Fein(2) & Fine Gael(3).

I think you will find that Sinn Fein are also promising the same in regards to the IMF and the bondholders.

Yes, you're right. I sort of disregarded them because they are basically the ira.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Yes, you're right. I sort of disregarded them because they are basically the ira.

I really wish people would move on from this. The IRA effectively don't exist any more and Sinn Fein at least bring some contrast to the Irish political spectrum especially considering all the other parties have basically the same policies. I'm not personally going to vote Sinn Fein but it's seriously about time to put the past behind us.

• Advertisement

Sincerely glad the world will probably have ended by the time you reach voting age

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

True.

Vote early and vote often.

Or in the case of the Greens here - Vote late and vote often ;)

I think you will find that Sinn Fein are also promising the same in regards to the IMF and the bondholders. I always went FF but after what they have done never again. Leaning towards Labour(1) Sinn Fein(2) & Fine Gael(3).

re SF, i recommend that you watch last weeks frontline where SFs star Pierse was on it. Terrible performance, he was left speechless once all the other contributors drilled him on SFs unrealistic policies(including an independent economist)

To me its as simple as SF know they wont be in government therefore they are promising the earth because they know they will have to deliver these crazy promises, they are looking to build up a profile as a large sized opposition party and then build on this during future elections

Sincerely glad the world will probably have ended by the time you reach voting age

That was my weak attempt at satire. I actually just haven't researched SF policies. Unfortunately for you perhaps I reached voting age a long long time ago, I'm just immature ;)

That was my weak attempt at satire. I actually just haven't researched SF policies. Unfortunately for you perhaps I reached voting age a long long time ago, I'm just immature ;)
    +for immaturity

Is there an Irish equivilent?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

re SF, i recommend that you watch last weeks frontline where SFs star Pierse was on it. Terrible performance, he was left speechless once all the other contributors drilled him on SFs unrealistic policies(including an independent economist)

To me its as simple as SF know they wont be in government therefore they are promising the earth because they know they will have to deliver these crazy promises, they are looking to build up a profile as a large sized opposition party and then build on this during future elections

I did watch the frontline program and i thought he gave a good account of himself. From what i saw he was making so very similar points as Fine Gael. As for the independent economist he just kept saying whats done is done and the bailout can't be changed and we haven't a hope of being let burn the bondholders(seamed to be siding with FF IMO)

Nobody knows who will be in government, so to say Sinn fein know they won't be isn't logical. As for promising the earth - well every party is doing that making promises that they can not guarantee.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The title of his thread is a tad depressing.

Do families have to vote for the same party or candidate? Is there no scope for independent political opinions within a family? The sort of thinking that a family all has to vote for the same party is a load of gombeen rubbish that has helped prop up the FF vote no doubt.

I myself will give Labour my number 1, my old man will probably vote FG, my sister, if she was in the country, would probably support Sinn Fein or Labour and my other sister is a staunch Labour supporter. My late mother was a staunch FF supporter (she was a party member in fact but that was over 20 years ago now).

We are all capable of having our own political views like mature adults should have.

None of this pathetic "Ill vote x or y because daddy and mammy always have" crap.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The title of his thread is a tad depressing.

Do families have to vote for the same party or candidate? Is there no scope for independent political opinions within a family? The sort of thinking that a family all has to vote for the same party is a load of gombeen rubbish that has helped prop up the FF vote no doubt.

I myself will give Labour my number 1, my old man will probably vote FG, my sister, if she was in the country, would probably support Sinn Fein or Labour and my other sister is a staunch Labour supporter. My late mother was a staunch FF supporter (she was a party member in fact but that was over 20 years ago now).

We are all capable of having our own political views like mature adults should have.

None of this pathetic "Ill vote x or y because daddy and mammy always have" crap.

Hell, no. thats not what i meant.
    I meant who are you voting for.
    Who are your family voting for. As in what way are they siding. eg dad: fg, mom: labour, sibling/wife/husband:othe

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Hell, no. thats not what i meant.
    I meant who are you voting for.
    Who are your family voting for. As in what way are they siding. eg dad: fg, mom: labour, sibling/wife/husband:othe

Ah right, yes I see.:o:pac: I didn't mean to attack the OP..it's a good thread...but it does raise the issue of voting patterns withinfamilies and ckans. And sadly all to often here in Ireland if parents vote for one party, their children are expected to follow suit, generation after generation after generation.

Not a sign of political maturity IMO... Far better for family members to hold thier own political views.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

Labour if they get in will do what they are told - they are not the "left" party they used to be - they are well blended in with the FF/FG brigade and don't for a minute think they are not.

Advertisement