Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths Q Choice

• 13-02-2011 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

What questions are everybody covering?
    Anyone taking the chance with only 6? I'm doin 7 myself, 1,2,3,4,5,6,10 and hoping for the best. I'd be delighted with a B so if a part of a question throws me it wont be the end of the world. Anyone reckon 7,8, or 9 would be a better option? (Have so far done 1,2,3,4,5 and touched on 10)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Aiming for a B2.. I don't put too much work in tbh! I do it after school and the teacher covers 8 questions.. 3 I don't like.. :/ Going to get a few grinds anyway.. As for question numbers I'm not really sure which ones i like are..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I think Moment's of Inertia's definitely a good question to do. Part a is always a proof so you can be guaranteed full marks before you go in, and the part b's are usually handy enough. It's probably the most daunting topic before you do it but once you get the technique down it's grand.

Statics can be grand, some questions I can get almost full marks in but some other questions I might screw up because of one little thing so it's hit or miss really.

I'm not sure which question's i'm going to do. I'm certain about doing 3,4,5 and 10 but I don't know which one's i'd prefer to do out of the rest, probably 6 and 8 but I don't want to rule anything out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

The good thing about it is is that it's so easy to pick up marks! Usually only 5 marks going for getting the right answer, which is at times the hardest bit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Have studied 9 in class. Have decided I'm definitely doing Newtons Laws, ALM, Collisions and Diff Equations in June. Not sure which others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Do Q9. It's fantastically easy every year, mainly because nobody does it as they don't have it covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I get the feeling I might study Q9 out of boredom someday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭luciemc

i did 1,2,3,4,5,8,10 in my mock.. probably will do the same in june.. statics always goes wrong for me..but maybe if i actually studied it I could do it? I'm not sure.. it really shouldn't be that difficult? We haven't done circular and SHM but I think I'll do it myself.. is Q9 worth doing myself too? our teacher won't do it but if it really is an easier question should I? opinions pleease! we only have class for about 40mins twice a week and get no homework..no one does any work and we all arrive late(myself included:p) as it's in the morning? any help would be appreciated!!

luciemc wrote: »
    i did 1,2,3,4,5,8,10 in my mock.. probably will do the same in june.. statics always goes wrong for me..but maybe if i actually studied it I could do it? I'm not sure.. it really shouldn't be that difficult? We haven't done circular and SHM but I think I'll do it myself.. is Q9 worth doing myself too? our teacher won't do it but if it really is an easier question should I? opinions pleease! we only have class for about 40mins twice a week and get no homework..no one does any work and we all arrive late(myself included:p) as it's in the morning? any help would be appreciated!!

I'd think it's worth doing yourself, definitely. Once you learn Archimedes' Principle, it's basically just standard fare as regards forces etc.

Why is question 9 so unpopular? It seems kind of weird that that of all questions is the one that's left out.

Why is question 9 so unpopular? It seems kind of weird that that of all questions is the one that's left out.

Teachers dislike it, apparently. Some students supposedly find it difficult to understand the ideas, eg. the basic principles behind buoyancy.

• Advertisement

Teachers dislike it, apparently. Some students supposedly find it difficult to understand the ideas, eg. the basic principles behind buoyancy.

That probably explains it. Luckily we did it, as if you can grasp the ideas it's relatively simple.

Advertisement