Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound-proofing

• 13-02-2011 11:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

Got our house done up a few years back, but in the extension (aka my bedroom) the bulider never put anything under my floor. So between the kitchen ceiling and my floor is just empty space and well I'm at boiling point now with being able to hear everything from the kitchen.

Any so I'm working is there any type of sound-proofing mat that is heat resistance (will be going over the kitchen downlights)? Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If you're putting down insulation to soundproof you will need to fit cans over the downlighters to prevent the heat getting to the insulation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

If you're putting down insulation to soundproof you will need to fit cans over the downlighters to prevent the heat getting to the insulation

Would they be expensive? So put down the cans over the downlighters and that any insulation can go over them?

Cheers for the reply btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Would they be expensive? So put down the cans over the downlighters and that any insulation can go over them?

Cheers for the reply btw.

It depends, and yes.

My local electrical wholesaler was supplying them to me at €10 a piece. They are flat metal sheets that are bent by hand into a box shape to sit over the lights. Not sure how much they'll be wherever you are.

Insulation can go straight down over them then.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Cheers again for the reply. Going to be more of a pain in the arse than I expected. Was hoping they'd be some type of heat resistant insulation mat type thing that I could just pop in. Probably have to take up all the floorboards now and all.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Maybe considering changing to low wattage lamps

• Advertisement
Advertisement