Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Marketing vs Finance vs Consulting

Options
  • 13-02-2011 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi Guys,

I am trying to make a decision about which direction to start my career. I graduated with an accountancy degree in October and I am wondering about which industry I should get involved with.

I would like to get advice from anyone here with experience in these fields.

With regard to Finance:
    I feel that I would be more interested in the Management Accounting/Investing side of finance rather than tax, financial accounting, etc.

With regard to Marketing:
    I am very interested in the PR and Advertising side of marketing rather than the research side.

With regard to Consulting:
    I enjoy problem solving and feel that management consulting could be a very interesting career with lots of variety.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks so much.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

You should look for a job in industry as a trainee management accountant. Don't be fussy in the beginning, it's just a foot in the door. Either pursue ACCA or CIMA... that'll keep you busy for 3 years. Then work your way up to a management role over the next 3-10 years in a company that's expanding and in a fast-paced industry with plenty of opportunity for promotion. And do all the personal development courses you can afford or that your company will send you to.

Not that I went this route, I'm still puddling along! Unfortunately it's easier said than done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I agree go down the Finance/Management accounting route, buti am not so sure where the trainee positions are advertised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

kilburn wrote: »
    I agree go down the Finance/Management accounting route, buti am not so sure where the trainee positions are advertised

It's likely they aren't advertised. Get the yellow pages out and phone companies in your area.

Advertisement