Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows won't load.

• 13-02-2011 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi looking for some help please.
    Have a fujitsu siements 'scaleo J- about 6 years old - running windows xp. Had to shut it down by holding the power button the other day as it had frozen on me. Now when i power it up - it seems to get past the 'post' test - no beeps - then starts loading windows xp. However after about 10 secs it shuts down and reboots again. It will continue on this loop till i shut it down

:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Sounds like you may have a virus.. Can you boot in to safe mode... (hitting F8 on startup and choosing Safe Mode from the menu)... I would boot in to safe mode and run a full virus scan..

• Registered Users Posts: 46 katuxini

By pressing f8 i got to start it in 'safe mode'. It starts loading all the files then does the same thing - shuts down and restarts again

How about "Last Known Good Configuration"?

Thanks for help and prompt replies.

Yes have tried - same thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Run a startup repair.

Load from the disk and select "Repair a Windows Installation".

Does it bluescreen before it restarts itself?

• Advertisement

Also what happened when it froze? Could the mouse still move or was the entire system hung?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sincere113

Boot off your XP disc and try to repair the XP installation. To boot off CD you may need to change the boot settings in BIOS.

PS. This doesnt sound like malware activity at all. Either a corrupt OS (minor) or fried hardware (Also possibly minor as you are getting no POST beep codes)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

Sounds like a dodgy power supply or memory, have you a spare power supply or memory to test?

Thanks a million guys. Am running recovery disc now . Running chkdsk - taking a bit of time. If it doesen't work will run 'cd system~1 'from recovery disc. Will let ye know once it finishes up.

• Advertisement

Earlier on I did take out ram and replace it. Took out lan card and reconnected hard disc.
    When it froze i was trying to save a heavy file in Adobe Illustrator - and it was taking so long , I just powered off the system. I did notice lately that the fan was on alot and it was making some hardware beeping sounds but not the cooded beeps that warn of some hardware failure

given that you were saving a large file, make sure you have free space on the drive as well...

plenty of space on hard drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Sounds like the hard drive is on its last legs to me. Have you ever replaced the hard drive since you bought the system?

You could try and download SEATOOLS for dos. This program will check the hard drives for errors. When the file is downloaded burn the iso file to a blank DVD or CD with a program such as ImgBurn (free). Then go into the bios and put the dvd drive as the 1st boot device and save changes. Restart the computer and then scan the hard drive for errors :)

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Sounds like a hard drive on its last legs to me. Have you ever replaced the hard drive since you bought the system?

I'd be thinking the same.. Some of the other lads seem to point to different hardware failures.. but I would be thinking either
    a) faulty sector on the disk or
    b) Something faulty or dodgy written to the Windows startup procedure..

Regards the Repair Install... I have done this about 20 separate times on different PCs and it has NEVER worked for me.. Have any of you guys had much success with it??

Thanks
    No never replaced hard drive. Thanks Trevor451& JonathanAnon - will try program you suggested tomorow. Am running chkdsk now but will have to leave it run all night. It seemed to have checked the volume first and is now saying 'CHKDSK is performing additional checking of recovery...' - except its doing this for the 3rd time now. Anyhow will report back tomorow

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Sounds like the hard drive is on its last legs to me. Have you ever replaced the hard drive since you bought the system?

You could try and download SEATOOLS for dos. This program will check the hard drives for errors. When the file is downloaded burn the iso file to a blank DVD or CD with a program such as ImgBurn (free). Then go into the bios and put the dvd drive as the 1st boot device and save changes. Restart the computer and then scan the hard drive for errors :)

Did what you said and the last 3 lines read

TURBODISC 2.1 - Drive C: unformatted.

Invalid Opcode at 1695 16CB 0202 0000 5489 0006 0202 805F 16BB 0000 5AE3 890A 045C

Bad or missing Command interpreter: COMMAND.COM /E:512 /K FDAUTO.BAT
    Enter the full shell command line:

My guess is that its pointing to a location on HD where OS code is corrupt or missing - then again this is way over my head. Am coming close to try and get what i can off the HD by putting it into another machine - and then reinstall the OS :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

o the Windows startup procedure..

Regards the Repair Install... I have done this about 20 separate times on different PCs and it has NEVER worked for me.. Have any of you guys had much success with it??

Hi Jonathan - I've run this 5 or 6 times and it's never worked for me either.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

OK, sounds like there's a major problem with some of the core wndows file that are loaded during startup. I had something similar as a result of a disc error, which was in the end transient, but at the time, it caused a major problem.

There are several things to be going at, the first being to do a startup wiith F8 to get to the choices, and there should be an option to prevent restart on fail, which should allow the machine to show what's wrong, which will more than likely be a Blue Screen of Death, but there will be an error message, and hopefully some indications of the file, or area of the machine that's in trouble.

Depending on the age of the machine, and a few other factors, it may be quicker and cheaoer to get a new Hard Drive, and connect that up, and use a clone software to move everything over to the new drive. The other option is do you have a friend that could connect your drive as an external drive, and check it that way, on a machine that's not loading from the drive that's suspect. An external caddy to allow connect via USB is a lot cheaper than a new drive, and may mean a quick fix.

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Advertisement