Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City West Angling Show

Options
  • 13-02-2011 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭

See the angling show in City West (www.hooked.ie) has a shooting section this year. Wasn't going to go as fly fishing not my thing but I just might pop in for a look now :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I cant see anything about shooting except 'shooting heads' and I think is something to do with fly lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Had a look at this. TBH It doesn't seem to have anything organised for the shooter.

This from the website:
    We are talking to many more retailers and distributors in an effort to help develop The Sporting Gun Show and indeed over time develop it into a premier event on the shooting calendar, all enquiries here are welcome.

To keep visitors interested we have included a Laser Clay Line, real guns and real clays just no bang or recoil. Visitors can compete against their friends and be in with a chance to win some of the prizes on offer.

So, they do have a clay shoot simulator, but other than that not much else.:( There are no shooting experts, talks, or seminars organised - and there are no shooting or gun exhibitors listed. So TBH not much of a "Sporting Gun Show" really!

I'll be saving my petrol:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Last time I went to the shooting and fishing show in Cloghran, I insisted on getting my money back, guess what I did. Also Wrote a letter of complaint and was informed that the shooting element was mixed in with the angling and never intended to be seperate, eg: A stall selling 99% fishing equipment could claim it was also into shooting equipment because it sold game bags and pen knives???

Caveat Emptor my friends.. Is there a list of exhibitors, very soon you will work out if it's worth going

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

Any reason why there isn't hunting or shooting expos in Ireland, the UK have some very impressive ones. Birr last year was very disappointing price wise, thought it was very expensive and hardly much gear for sale:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Is there a list of exhibitors, very soon you will work out if it's worth going

There's a list of exhibitors here: http://www.hooked.ie/Content.aspx?ID=95&subid=-1&articleid=216

But nothing for the shooting sports-man or -woman as far as I can see.

TBH it's a bit of a cheek / breach of trading standards / goods and services descriptions etc etc :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::Dto be advertising something called the "Sporting Gun Show" when you've no sporting gun or rifle exhibitors. Although, I'm sure they'll have a clay thrower or cartridge bag lying around somewhere.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

clivej wrote: »
    I cant see anything about shooting except 'shooting heads' and I think is something to do with fly lines.

The defintion of a "shooting head" (fishing) taken from here certainly would not need anyone to fill out a FCA1 form but could easilly be taken up wrong from a shooters point of view especially when "Sporting Gun Show" is prominent and close to it on the same page.

Basically a shooting head is just a piece of line of a certain length
    and weight, designed to carry out a specific task.

dCorbus wrote: »
    There's a list of exhibitors here: http://www.hooked.ie/Content.aspx?ID=95&subid=-1&articleid=216

But nothing for the shooting sports-man or -woman as far as I can see.

TBH it's a bit of a cheek / breach of trading standards / goods and services descriptions etc etc :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::Dto be advertising something called the "Sporting Gun Show" when you've no sporting gun or rifle exhibitors. Although, I'm sure they'll have a clay thrower or cartridge bag lying around somewhere.:rolleyes:

Would agree with the both of you, its a fishing show, and one thats not been that successful but they are trying to pull in any business that it can. As for the "Sporting Gun Show", like yourselves, I could not see any shooting exhibitors on that list but it does say "We are talking to many more retailers and distributors in an effort to help develop The Sporting Gun Show".

I was at the Angling Expo at the weekend and Hooked had 2 girls outside the grounds (at the main road) giving out fliers which offered 2 for 1 on the Saturday of the hooked show. Things must be tough when you are poaching business at a competing show!!! In all honesty, I thought it a pretty low act from the Hooked team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

A shooting head lads is a short usually 38/40 ft fly line which you attatch to a running line.
    They were designed for use with the scandanivian style of casting,more bottom hand pull insted of top hand push.
    With shooting heads its possible to fish high sink rate lines and very heavy flies with great ease compared to a spey line.
    Theyr classed by weight in grams or grains with a 9/10aftm weight coming in at about 37grms or 650 grains.
    end of lesson:D

Forgot to mention,i fire very sexy arrow shaped loops with the above types of salmon fly lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

Mr. K,

I am all for modesty, yet I must concur that I saw you throw some very sexy loops on Upper Kilmurray last year....

Owenduff produced its first at the weekend, nearly time for the Moy.

Sorry for hijack lads....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

Mr. K,

I am all for modesty, yet I must concur that I saw you throw some very sexy loops on Upper Kilmurray last year....

Owenduff produced its first at the weekend, nearly time for the Moy.

Sorry for hijack lads....

How are things G,

Might hit the lodge as soon as it fines down,starting to get very figgity,all this fly tying is too much like foreplay:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Toys4BigBoys

Hi Guys

Thanks for the feedback. You'll find a list of brands available and features at the Sporting Gun Show on our website http://hooked.ie/Content.aspx?id=104

• Advertisement

Anyone going to this tomorrow or Sunday?

They have a list of more shooting and hunting items, im going to pop down need a few dummy's and may pick up some other things:D

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭defib

Anyone go. Is it worth a trip for shooting?

I went down looking a few dummies,slip lead, callers and there was none to be found:rolleyes:

dont bother going if your looking any shooting/hunting gear, complete SH@TE !!! people who actual had any gear where more interested in you coming to their shop to buy :( it...very little to buy

There was only 2 gun stands with the total of 17 guns combined:eek: As for lamps,callers etc etc was a joke 6 lamps in the whole event!!!!! Very disappointed and a waste of time indeed to drive down there.
    Other items and accessories which will be available at The Sporting Gun Show are Lamps, Torches, battery packs, calls, decoys, cleaning kits, dog training equipment, dog containment systems, clay traps, and of course clothing with a full range of Deer hunter clothing available
    mmmmm NO THERE WASNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for the angling side it was excellent, same people who were at the swords expo were there as well. They had fly fishing tutorials on a pond beside it which was very cool and informative. Good deals for all fishing equipment, i got 124 pike traces fore 24 euro:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

From the above post it would seem I was right in having doubts....:rolleyes:

Advertisement