Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is better - iPhone or Android?

Options
  • 13-02-2011 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Time to move on from my 1990s-style Nokia and get a Smartphone. Which is better - Android or iPhone? I know very little about either so thoughts and opinions are welcomed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It depends what you:
    A. What to use the device for.
    B. Have as a budget and
    C. What you expect to get

I have an android HTC desire, I am biased. However at the time and even now it is the phone that provided the functionality I required for the right price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

iPhone is a better, slicker user experience, devices feel more classy.

Android is cheaper and more flexible in what you can do on the phone. E.g. Flash video.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

No Poll:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

iPhone probably has the edge but I'd wait to get the new edition next summer or autumn. iPhone has terrible network support and as such are a bit of a pain.

So on that bombshell, my next phone will most likely be an Android. I don't think there is too much between them, iPhone edging it a bit on polish, Android's next alliteration will probably have that little extra shine too, but if you've not used iPhone ~ go Android

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    iPhone is a better, slicker user experience, devices feel more classy.

Android is cheaper and more flexible in what you can do on the phone. E.g. Flash video.

I would argue that the iphone dumbs down the smartphone experience. Its also a but like comparing cars that have auto gearboxes to manual. Americans would think our fondness of manuals is bizarre when the auto box makes driving a little more simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I find using an iphone would be too restrictive so I went with android and am very happy using my Galaxy S so for me, it would be with Android. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

iPhone all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I am fortunate to have both here in front of me (iPhone 4 and Samsung Galaxy Tab - thanks to the job).

Quite simply, there is no better. It all depends on what your needs are.

Without question, the user interface and the App store are better on the iPhone.

However, does that justify the price premium? Only you can decide.

I love the Galaxy Tab. The user interface is surprisingly slick, though still lacking behind the iPhone. Apps work, widgets work (which the iPhone doesn't have), multitasking is (in my opinion) better.

Do you have a need for apps? Then the iPhone has the edge.

Do you have a need for a top of the range camera - then the iPhone may not have the edge.

Do you need expandability, connectivity, a music store, accessories? And so on....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Nokia

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

For me.
    Android all the way.

Obviously I'm biased so but for me the major areas I think it beats iPhone is

1: It's extremely customisable. If I don't like my email app or web browser etc. I've loads to choose from. If you don't like the launcher that comes with your phone just pop on a new one.
    2: Widgets - My home screen shows the weather, calendar and some active tasks as well as the icons for my main apps.
    3: USB connectivity - I can plug my phone into any PC and not worry about installing software or drivers. It just pops up as a USB drive.
    4: Don't need iTunes. If you already use iTunes then this isn't an issue for you anyway.
    5: Flash - Absolutely you can live without it. But why should you? I use a few websites where Flash is a benefit. If I'm on my phone surfing and see a site where I want to view the flash content I don't have to go off to a PC.

This is all my opinion. I realise the iPhone is a great phone too and this is all probably subjective.

Points 1 & 2 are very subjective. If you want a simpler interface and the same experience on many phones then these wouldn't be benefits for you.

A fair few users say iPhone has the edge for apps. Have a look at http://market.android.com and see if the apps you need are missing. If so, then it's a no brainer. If the phone youre looking at doesn't have the apps you need then you need to look at a different phone.

Advertisement