Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry Redknapp - Our best manager ever ?

Options
  • 13-02-2011 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭

Found this embedded in a link on another thread here.

It's a chart of our managers performances. Harry is statistically our best manager ever followed by Peter Shreeve and David Pleate. The great Bill Nicholson lands in at fifth. Ossie comes in last :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

We won the double under the "great Bill Nicholson". End of......

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

To compare any of our present or previous managers you have to look at the bigger picture.

You made the valid point that Harry comes in first but Billy Nic only in fifth after Shreeves and Pleat. Of course the table is based purely on Played, won, drawn and lost.

When you take into account trophies then Harry, Shreeves and Pleat were all fruitless. Billy Nic had 8 trophies in his 16 year career as our manager, a 50% trophy win ratio you could say.

If the measure of success as Spurs manager was based on career length and trophies then probably Juande Ramos would be No.1.

An interesting post all the same but I always look at the alternative side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Harry has a long way to go before he is considered anything near our best manager ever. Anyway, he wont be at the lane long enough to be considered a great ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

as in we've won the last 3 without Modric so does that mean we're better off without him ? :D;)

On the general I think Arry is doing a great job in the all time stakes until he actually wins a trophy he'd have to be behind all of our trophy winning managers!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Honestly?

If we finish top 4 again and win the champions league I'd nearly say it. Till then nowhere near best but he should be given praise for what he has done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

His achievements should Definetly give him a place as one of the best but he has never had to rebuild a team unlike Nic so his points should be higher I only hope we can continue to progress getting a second top four finish is very important to us.

When Harry retires or gets the England job we should look at Jurgen Kloop doing great over in Germany and young so if he could be prises away he could start a career similar to Wenger and Fergie.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭tomo75

If Harry wins the EPL and FA Cup double then, Yeah, he's in with a shout. But until then he is a good manager who has yet to bring us a trophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

2nd best for me, but a million miles behind Billy Nic

Better then Birkenshaw

Better than Venables

Could be an arguement for Arthur Rowe but I know little about that period bar the 51 title.

I suppose the big debate is between Birkenshaw and Harry.

1 Promotion, 2 FA cups and 1 UEFA cup in 8 seasons v 0 trophies in 2 seasons for Harry
    Although qualification for the 1st time into the CL is viewed by some (and lots of the media) a bigger than most cups.

Our win % / Points per game stats under Harry are very very good.
    The football we play is attacking high tempo, which I love.
    And he's put us back on the football map having taken us from the bottom of the league.
    I would say that HR is the right man at the right club at the right time.

We'll struggle to do better when he takes the England job.
    I'll definately miss him a lot.

Arthur Rowe did create pass and move so maybe not second :D
    Although his achievements have been immense and has taken us from football wilderness where we were since sugar took over till last year really.

Definetly best in premier league era

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

RichMc70 wrote: »
    To compare any of our present or previous managers you have to look at the bigger picture.

You made the valid point that Harry comes in first but Billy Nic only in fifth after Shreeves and Pleat. Of course the table is based purely on Played, won, drawn and lost.

When you take into account trophies then Harry, Shreeves and Pleat were all fruitless. Billy Nic had 8 trophies in his 16 year career as our manager, a 50% trophy win ratio you could say.

If the measure of success as Spurs manager was based on career length and trophies then probably Juande Ramos would be No.1.

An interesting post all the same but I always look at the alternative side.

Just for the record I wasn't stating he was / is the best. Just opening it up for discussion. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Don't mind those charts,Bill Nick was the best.:cool:

Just for the record I wasn't stating he was / is the best. Just opening it up for discussion. :)

No worries buddy, I saw where you where coming from. Like I said it's an interesting post and just made the point that statistics don't always paint the whole picture.

Definetly best in premier league era

No arguments about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

You don't get a trophy for finishing 4th in the league, so when 'Arry has a medal or two around his neck come back to me and we'll talk. I do not mean that as any slight on his record by the way.

For me the people who served long enough to be judged effectively should be ranked:

Bill Nic
    Arthur Rowe
    General Burkinshaw

Pleat and El Tel can duke it out amongst themselves, both had their pros and cons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Well, for me anyways, Harry Redknapp is definitely the best manager we've had in living memory. But until he wins either the PL or CL he shouldn't be considered our greatest ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

Bill Nick untouchable in 1st. Keith Burkinshaw in 2nd - but will be overtaken by 'Arry if we keep up our record of winning a cup at Wembley when the year ends in an one :D

Advertisement