Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How loud is a 223?

Options
  • 13-02-2011 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

How loud is a 223? I think ill get one sometime this year, but im worried its really loud. I just really don't like the noise of the shotgun.

How loud is it compared to a 12g shotgun or 22lr?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

there quite loud, but i just got a wildcat pred 8 mod put on friday and now it sounds like a .22 with out mod on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

ArseLtd wrote: »
    How loud is a 223? I think ill get one sometime this year, but im worried its really loud. I just really don't like the noise of the shotgun.

A small guide

.22 rifle hi-velocity: 140-141 db

.223, 16: barrel: 163 db

.308, 18" barrel 165 db"

.223 is very loud without a mod on, if you fire in certain areas, in a quarry etc you may damage your hearing

Most .223 users use a Moderator as a result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Way louder than a .22lr. And louder and more piercing than a shot gun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Its loud enough to damage your ears if you fire without hearing protection.

It will be far louder than a .22, in the 160 db range as tackleberry has posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

A lot louder and a lot sharper too. Get a moderator and the bark is tamed down a lot. Still may be loudish in certain circumstances but it's a necessity IMO.

Unmoderated .223 will permanently damage your hearing if you don't use some form of adequate hearing protection or moderate it. Know that from personal expierence.

• Advertisement

i just got a wildcat pred 8 .25 mod put on mine and its about the same noise as a .22 without a mod on. anyone eles think thats about right?

i just got a wildcat pred 8 .25 mod put on mine and its about the same noise as a .22 without a mod on. anyone eles think thats about right?

Quietest I ever heard my modded .308 was when there was 4"'s of snow on the ground.
    Still a modded .223 vcan cause quite an echo if fired between 2 hills
    I can see a day when Moderators are compulsory TBH

common_noise_levels_b29_sm.jpg

Taking into account a .223 is around 160dB

Pretty much.

The only way to get quieter is to:

1. run the can wet.

2. handload.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

1. run the can wet.
    Whats that mean?

• Advertisement

homerhop wrote: »
    Whats that mean?

it means to spray inside with wd40 or something like that

homerhop wrote: »
    Whats that mean?

Quickest way to reply is copy Wikipedia

"Wet" suppressors or "wet cans" use a small quantity of water, oil, grease or gel in the expansion chambers to cool the propellant gases and reduce their volume. The coolant lasts only a few shots before it must be replenished, but can greatly increase the effectiveness of the suppressor. Water is most effective, due to its high heat of vaporization, but it can run or evaporate out of the suppressor. Grease, while messier and less effective than water, can be left in the suppressor indefinitely without losing effectiveness. Oil is the least effective and least preferable, as it runs while being as messy as grease, and leaves behind a fine mist of aerosolized oil after each shot. Water-based gels, such as wire-pulling lubricant gel, are a good compromise; they offer the efficacy of water with less mess, as they do not run or drip. However, they take longer to apply, as they must be cleared from the bore of the suppressor to ensure a clear path for the bullet (grease requires this step as well). Generally, only pistol suppressors are shot wet, as rifle suppressors handle such high pressure and heat that the liquid is gone within 1-3 shots. Many manufacturers will not warranty their rifle suppressors for "wet" fire, as some feel this may even result in a dangerous over-pressurization of the silencer.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ArseLtd

Thanks for that, seems the moderator is a must, ah it would be worth it :D

Quickest way to reply is copy Wikipedia

"Wet" suppressors or "wet cans" use a small quantity of water, oil, grease or gel in the expansion chambers to cool the propellant gases and reduce their volume. The coolant lasts only a few shots before it must be replenished, but can greatly increase the effectiveness of the suppressor. Water is most effective, due to its high heat of vaporization, but it can run or evaporate out of the suppressor. Grease, while messier and less effective than water, can be left in the suppressor indefinitely without losing effectiveness. Oil is the least effective and least preferable, as it runs while being as messy as grease, and leaves behind a fine mist of aerosolized oil after each shot. Water-based gels, such as wire-pulling lubricant gel, are a good compromise; they offer the efficacy of water with less mess, as they do not run or drip. However, they take longer to apply, as they must be cleared from the bore of the suppressor to ensure a clear path for the bullet (grease requires this step as well). Generally, only pistol suppressors are shot wet, as rifle suppressors handle such high pressure and heat that the liquid is gone within 1-3 shots. Many manufacturers will not warranty their rifle suppressors for "wet" fire, as some feel this may even result in a dangerous over-pressurization of the silencer.

On the over pressurization: If you have a crappy 50 euro .22 suppressor or are running really hot loads (which you cant unless your in the midlands pilot scheme) than you are more likely to see over pressure than if you run a quality built suppressor.

Running a can wet, from what Ive seen on my own guns, the biggest problem is rust !

Back on track.

OP.... Why dont you like the sound of a shotgun ?? Are you wearing hearing protection while shooting ??

OP.... Why dont you like the sound of a shotgun ?? Are you wearing hearing protection while shooting ??

When i first got the shotgun i didn't use hearing protection and it was very irritating to have ringing in my ears for days after. Now i wear earplugs which while hunting are almost as irritating. I will eventually get those electronic ones. I find my self using the 22lr more often than the shotgun just for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭freddieot

Ears and eyes - hard to replace.

I never fire even a .22 without hearing protection.

Had a full ckeckup about 18 months ago (first ever - gettiing old). when I told the quck that I had been shooting shotgun and fullbore rifle for about 18 years, he expected that my hearing would have suffered quite d a bit.

Luckily - it was fairly perfect. The result of 18 years shooting (but always with good hearing protection)

Invest in a good set of electronic protectors. .223 is fairly noisy as the others lads have already said.

I fired a .308 today an ASE S5 Mod on.

I fired it from a farm yard out into a field at a crow eating out of the cattle feeders.
    The crack was very loud as the shed was Cladding.
    Evewn with a mod on my ears were slightly ringing after the bang.

Most of the sound the reaches teh shooter comes from the echo.

If your shotty is too loud, have you considered a longer barrelled gun?

I fired a .308 today an ASE S5 Mod on.

I fired it from a farm yard out into a field at a crow eating out of the cattle feeders.
    The crack was very loud as the shed was Cladding.
    Evewn with a mod on my ears were slightly ringing after the bang.

Most of the sound the reaches teh shooter comes from the echo.

If your shotty is too loud, have you considered a longer barrelled gun?

Hehe i don't need to worry about the noise of a 308 just yet! :P Good point though.

Mine is a 28" barrel, ive fired 30" barrels i thought it was the same.

Hehe i don't need to worry about the noise of a 308 just yet! :P Good point though.

Mine is a 28" barrel, ive fired 30" barrels i thought it was the same.

The .223 will be loud even with a mod on between two walls or fired from inside a shed etc.

If out in the open the crack is very mild, so just be watchful where you take your shot from

The .223 will be loud even with a mod on between two walls or fired from inside a shed etc.

If out in the open the crack is very mild, so just be watchful where you take your shot from

Ah yeah i get you, even the 22 is loud enough inside a shed. And the shotgun ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement