Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing a Valve to isolate upstairs heating

• 14-02-2011 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, wondering if you could help me out here. My upstairs heating can be turned off at the moment by turning off a ball valve on the return from the upstairs circuit. I want to put a motorized valve and switch in so it can be turned on and off by a switch outside the press as it's a bit of hassle getting to the ball valve at the moment. Any ideas on what i could use. Have to put in a new insulated hot water tank next sat so I'm hoping to have something by then so i don't have to drain the system twice. Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

You don't need to remove the ball valve, you could just at a motorized valve somewhere along the same pipe.

You can control the valve either by a switch or a roomstat, whichever you prefer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

It's just as handy to take out the ball valve or just put it after the ball valve. I'll be moving some pipes around anyway. That press is the only place i can get at the pipe anyway. Just need to know what valve/switch i can use . Should i have posted this in the plumbing section:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I post in both, and in both I'd be saying a motorized valve.

Assuming that you have 3/4" piping, then you need one of these

Thanks. Just thinking i might as well go the whole hog and put in three MV's and a new zoned timer. Do the lot and be done with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭youtheman

Thanks. Just thinking i might as well go the whole hog and put in three MV's and a new zoned timer. Do the lot and be done with it

Good idea, but might not be an easy as you may think on an existing circuit. I did this in my house, but I had to run a new feed from the hot water cylinder back to the boiler as the existing feed to the tank was fed from the supply to the top storey of my house.

• Advertisement

It shouldn't be to hard to do. Every thing run's through the hot press which has bee totally stripped out as I've just fitted a new kitchen. the back boiler is beside it with mains water pipes and all the wiring for pumps, heating burner and thermostats. very easy to get at with plenty of room. here's a quick pic.

Advertisement