Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronaldo to announce retirement Monday

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

NIMAN wrote: »
    If he had not have got that bad knee, then I think we would be talking about the Fat Ronaldo in the same breath as Pele, Cruyff, Maradona, Puskas....and Messi, Thin Ronaldo.

Only Maradona better than him in that list for me.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I'll never forget his hatrick versus Man U.

Also short vine clip here when he was with Inter.

https://twitter.com/search?q=inter%20milan%20ronaldo%20vine&src=typd

Long live the real Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

kfallon wrote: »
    Only Maradona better than him in that list for me.....

Ah come on, Cruyff too surely? The two of them are in a bracket above the rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I'll never forget his hatrick versus Man U.

Also short vine clip here when he was with Inter.

https://twitter.com/search?q=inter%20milan%20ronaldo%20vine&src=typd

Long live the real Ronaldo.

"Man U", "real Ronaldo"

I take it you're not a season ticket holder in the Stretford end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Ah come on, Cruyff too surely? The two of them are in a bracket above the rest
    Above Messi? Not for me, Clive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Above Messi? Not for me, Clive.

Cristiano and Messi must universally be accepted as the GOATs for me tbh. Great goalscoring with the game at as high a quality, at least fitness wise as we've ever seen. Maradona could do amazing things with the ball but his output wasn't near what these guys could do. As far as I'm concerned there's everyone else<Messi and Ronaldo.

Liam O wrote: »
    Cristiano and Messi must universally be accepted as the GOATs for me tbh. Great goalscoring with the game at as high a quality, at least fitness wise as we've ever seen. Maradona could do amazing things with the ball but his output wasn't near what these guys could do. As far as I'm concerned there's everyone else<Messi and Ronaldo.

Messi and Ronaldo are playing in an era where attackers have never had it so good. Defenders can't 'let you know early' without getting a red card. The backpass rule means no longer can teams waste time by passing it back to the keeper continuously. Penalties are given for a hand across the chest or the merest contact on a player. The offside law has become a shambles whereby you can be stood 2 foot offside when a ball comes into the box, gesture that you aren't 'active' then become active when someone latches onto it and simply have a tap in when the ball is squared to you. Footballs like balloons that move everywhere and anywhere once struck. The amount of money the big clubs have now means the smaller clubs can't compete, the big clubs snap up all the top players. What happened at Napoli in the 80's/90's prob won't happen again.

If Maradona was playing now I'm pretty sure he'd run amok with all these changes. He was the top player in the most defensive league in the world and he was a joy to watch week in and week out. The game is more entertaining these days as all the changes ultimately mean more goals. Ronaldo and Messi are great players but I think a lot of the old time guys mentioned above would have relished playing today.

Imagine how many goals Gerd Muller would get if he was in his prime now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Messi and Ronaldo are playing in an era where attackers have never had it so good. Defenders can't 'let you know early' without getting a red card. The backpass rule means no longer can teams waste time by passing it back to the keeper continuously. Penalties are given for a hand across the chest or the merest contact on a player. The offside law has become a shambles whereby you can be stood 2 foot offside when a ball comes into the box, gesture that you aren't 'active' then become active when someone latches onto it and simply have a tap in when the ball is squared to you. Footballs like balloons that move everywhere and anywhere once struck. The amount of money the big clubs have now means the smaller clubs can't compete, the big clubs snap up all the top players. What happened at Napoli in the 80's/90's prob won't happen again.

If Maradona was playing now I'm pretty sure he'd run amok with all these changes. He was the top player in the most defensive league in the world and he was a joy to watch week in and week out. The game is more entertaining these days as all the changes ultimately mean more goals. Ronaldo and Messi are great players but I think a lot of the old time guys mentioned above would have relished playing today.

Imagine how many goals Gerd Muller would get if he was in his prime now!

And despite all the factors you list as to why its easier for forwards now, the average goals per game has decreased since the 70s/80s. Which suggests the increased levels of tactics, analysis and fitness have benifited defences more than attackers.

ceegee wrote: »
    And despite all the factors you list as to why its easier for forwards now, the average goals per game has decreased since the 70s/80s. Which suggests the increased levels of tactics, analysis and fitness have benifited defences more than attackers.

How many great defenders can you name playing the modern game?

I'd hazard a guess that the likes of Real and Barca are prob averaging more goals a game in this century than in the 80's and 90's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

How many great defenders can you name playing the modern game?

I'd hazard a guess that the likes of Real and Barca are prob averaging more goals a game in this century than in the 80's and 90's!

They score more goals because Messi and Ronaldo are in their teams.
    Look at the goal scoring stats for Neymar, Bale, Benzema,James, Suarez. While good they are still way behind Messi and Ronaldo. And these are some of the best attackers in the world, playing in the same teams.

Messi and Ronaldo are without question up there with any player in terms of being GOAT.

• Advertisement

ceegee wrote: »
    They score more goals because Messi and Ronaldo are in their teams.
    Look at the goal scoring stats for Neymar, Bale, Benzema,James, Suarez. While good they are still way behind Messi and Ronaldo. And these are some of the best attackers in the world, playing in the same teams.

Messi and Ronaldo are without question up there with any player in terms of being GOAT.

Why because you set the criteria of goals being the benchmark? Then surely Josef Bican is too if it's based on nothing other than goals? Come back to me when either Messi or Ronaldo go to a mediocre team and single-handedly turn them into the best team in the word

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Why because you set the criteria of goals being the benchmark? Then surely Josef Bican is too if it's based on nothing other than goals? Come back to me when either Messi or Ronaldo go to a mediocre team and single-handedly turn them into the best team in the word
    So because they haven't been at a poor team, they're automatically not the best? That's ****e logic.

So because they haven't been at a poor team, they're automatically not the best? That's ****e logic.

About as ****e as saying they (Ronaldo this is really in relation to) are the greatest for scoring goals under such lopsided circumstances. I'd say carrying a team on your shoulders to greatness takes far more guile, talent and genius than scoring 4 tap ins in games against the like of Eibar on a weekly basis, with the most expensive team in the world behind you and setting you up, against 18 teams that are hugely financially handicapped now more than ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

About as ****e as saying they (Ronaldo this is really in relation to) are the greatest for scoring goals under such lopsided circumstances. I'd say carrying a team on your shoulders to greatness takes far more guile, talent and genius than scoring 4 tap ins in games against the like of Eibar on a weekly basis, with the most expensive team in the world behind you and setting you up, against 18 teams that are hugely financially handicapped now more than ever.

Cristiano Ronaldo has scored 11 in his last 12 games vs Barcelona. Play that one down..

AdamD wrote: »
    Cristiano Ronaldo has scored 11 in his last 12 games vs Barcelona. Play that one down..

Ye he must be the greatest ever. Standing around the box anonymously for most of the games, against one of the most defensively week top sides, and letting the rest of the team bust a gut to create something for him to get on the end of. Sheer genius right there.

Not that that was the point. It shows a far greater display of ones natural talent and ability to be able to carry an average team to greatness, than to score tap ins, regardless of what examples you want to throw at me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Christ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Cristiano Ronaldo has scored what, 50 goals a season for over 5 seasons now?

There will always be those who will grasp at straws to deny this, but it can't really be denied anymore, Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi are without doubt two of the greatest footballers ever. And yes, they are both better than Ronaldo was.

The scary thing is that they aren't even finished yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

AdamD wrote: »

The Miller has a massive chip on his shoulder about Ronaldo, beware!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

If goal scoring output is the ultimate way of measuring greatness now, then it should be noted that Messi and Cristiano are both behind original Ronaldo in international football. Then there are players like Muller, Puskas, Kocsis and more who are even further ahead on that count.

But I would say that goal scoring totals should not be the only way of judging players. Consistency in scoring goals is one aspect of greatness, but not necessarily the only one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Why oh why do people still reply to The Golden Miller

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Pro. F wrote: »
    If goal scoring output is the ultimate way of measuring greatness now, then it should be noted that Messi and Cristiano are both behind original Ronaldo in international football. Then there are players like Muller, Puskas, Kocsis and more who are even further ahead on that count.

But I would say that goal scoring totals should not be the only way of judging players. Consistency in scoring goals is one aspect of greatness, but not necessarily the only one.

Indeed. You cant base everything on statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

This thread is about Brazilian Ronaldo. There's already a Ronaldo V Messi thread.

Advertisement