Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring The Pain!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

If you have access to a safety squat bar it's the same concept really, cept L said I could use two wraps on a normal bar something to that extent.

tbh while I appreciate that there are mechanisims to help work around my shoulder inflexbilities , I want to fix the root problem rather than ignore it! but I spose its better than just ignoring squats altogether :pac:

God damn it I just wanna skwaaat like all the other normal kids!! *cries*

Today

DOMS from Monday today but went out to Combat Workshop Dublin this morning for a session with Dave McConkey, very happy with it. Lovely dude who really knows his stuff.

He gave me some functional warm up-mobility stuff to do (scap push ups, cobra push ups, band work,wall sweeps, thoarcic mobility stuff etc) before he checked out my form on my deadlift, bench and squat (front,back,goblet,zombie!) and he gave me some valuable pointers on each of my lifts, small tweaks to help me get the most out of each lift.

Did some overhead db presses, some other press for my shoulder (cant remember what he called it :o ) and straight leg deadlifts.

Overall had a really good session, I know I am going to be in absolute tatters tomorrow but for the first time in a long time it will actually have been worth it. :)

Today

Warm Up

3 Rounds of:
    Shoulder dislocates
    Band pull aparts
    Scap push ups
    Cobra push ups
    Floor slides
    Goblet Squat w 8kg KB

Front Squat
    20KG

Bench Press
    20KG

Deadlift

30KG x 5
    40KG x 5
    50KG x 5

Today

Warm Up

2 rounds of

Shoulder dislocates
    Band pull aparts
    Scap push ups
    Cobra push ups
    Floor slides
    Goblet Squat w 8KG KB
    Hip flexor stretch

Front Squat
    20KG

Shoulder Press
    7.5KG

RDL

20KG
    25KG

Bat Wings

Some stretching and foam rolling

Squats were all over the place today, couldnt get into a groove with them atall.

Tonight

Warm up
    Dislocates
    Band pull aparts
    Cobra push ups
    Goblet squats w 8kg kb

Left hip flexor was giving me serious grief so did some foam rolling and stretches. Wasnt expecting much as a result.

Front Squat
    20KG
    x5
    x5
    x5

Bench
    20KG
    x5
    x5
    x5

Deadlift

30KG
    x5
    40KG
    x5
    45KG
    x5
    50KG
    x3
    60KG
    x2 or 3? Cant remember
    66KG
    x1 - PR :D

Cheers to columok for the pointers on my squat and also big thanks to daveyc for valuable tip on my deadlift and thanks to both pushing me on this evening to get that pr! Much appreciated.

• Advertisement

This Evening.

There really is nothing sweeter than an empty gym.

Warm Up

Shoulder dislocates
    Band Pull Aparts
    Scap Push Ups
    Cobra Push Ups
    Goblet Squats w 8kg KB
    Hip Flexor Stretch

Front Squat

20KG

x5
    x5
    x5

Bench

20KG

x5
    x5
    x5

Deadlift

40KG
    x5

50KG
    x5

55KG
    x5

I can't see my bench ever getting up past an empty bar. I just don't get it. I have tried to incorporate all the technique pointers I have been given but I still feel like im using my arms.

Deadlift was slow and heavy tonight, 55 was as far as it was going. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

66KG
    x1 - PR :D

Good woman!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

There really is nothing sweeter than an empty gym.
    I dunno. I love a bit of an auld chat between sets too:p
    I can't see my bench ever getting up past an empty bar. I just don't get it. I have tried to incorporate all the technique pointers I have been given but I still feel like im using my arms.
    I hear ya. I think we will just have to keep plugging away at it.

I changed up my program last week and am doing floor DB presses, ie the box squat of the bench press:pac: I guess the different variation will help with my bench.

When are you changing up your program? Maybe you could include a different variation to help things along?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,146 ✭✭✭COH

You dont need to get it, you just need to keep at it until you dont need to even think about it. As for never pressing more than the bar... I can guarantee that if you put 2x 0.5kg plates on the bar you'd press it just fine. Thats a 5% increase right there.

Good woman!

Cheers, havent had a deadlift pr since, eh about January!
    I dunno. I love a bit of an auld chat between sets too:p
    I hear ya. I think we will just have to keep plugging away at it.
    I changed up my program last week and am doing floor DB presses, ie the box squat of the bench press:pac: I guess the different variation will help with my bench.

When are you changing up your program? Maybe you could include a different variation to help things along?

Ah yeah I love the odd chat like anyone but it was just a nice moment!

Well eh I only just got my program so it wont be changing for at least the given 6-8 weeks! yeah guess I will just have to keep at it.
    COH wrote: »
    You dont need to get it, you just need to keep at it until you dont need to even think about it. As for never pressing more than the bar... I can guarantee that if you put 2x 0.5kg plates on the bar you'd press it just fine. Thats a 5% increase right there.

JayRoc funnily said exactly the same thing to me! And also Barry said that since I don't have someone handing the bar to me my set up isnt going to be perfect. Guess its all a learning curve.

Today

Warm Up

Band Pull aparts
    Shoulder dislocates
    Scap Push ups
    Cobra Push Ups
    Goblet Squat w 8kg KB
    Hip Flexor stretch

Front Squat

20KG

Shoulder Press

4KG :o

RDL

30KG
    x8

40KG
    x8
    x8
    x8

Bat Wings
    6KG :o

Trained down in RAW today because one of my girls from work asked me to teach her how to lift. She never deadlifted before and pulled 90KG not once but twice and they flew up off the ground!She deffo had more in the tank aswell!
    She also back squatted 60KG for reps and again flew up out of the hole. Unreal! :)

• Advertisement

Tonight

Warm up
    Band pull aparts
    Shoulder dislocates
    Cobra push ups
    Floor slides
    Hip flexor stretch
    Goblet squat w 8kg KB

Front Squat
    20KG
    x5
    x5
    x5

Bench
    20KG
    x5
    x5
    x5

Deadlift

40KG
    x5
    50KG
    X5
    55KG
    x3
    In a moment of madness I grabbed some plates aaand went into my next rep thinking "sure if it doesnt come off the ground what harm!"
    70KG
    x1- PR :D
    Not gunna lie, it was a grinder but hey it came up when I really didnt think it would.

Also cheers to dave for the pointers and spot on the bench tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Solid progress.

Solid progress.

On my deadlift...so far! Im not expecting another pr on that now for a good while I would say.

My squat is going nowhere, still havent been able to get into a groove with it. Downloaded a copy of Dave Tates "The Vault" yesterday so going to have a quick flick through it and see what he has to say about skwatz...

Tonight

Warm up

Front Squat

20KG

x5 *sharp pain in right knee* :(
    *foam rolled*
    x5
    *still painful*
    *foam rolled*
    x5

Bench
    20KG
    x5
    x5
    x5

Deadlift

40KG
    x5
    x5
    x5

50KG
    x5
    x5
    x5

50KG
    x5
    x5

Couldnt knock out my last set, nothing in the tank. Been cutting back on the carbs, probably had less the 50gms today so im blaming that!

Also made a batch of Transforms paeleo bars, not bad considering I largely had to guess the quantities since I am sans kitchen scales!

Today

Training in BHAF with Red Cortina, gymfreak and glowing.

Missed the first bock because I spent half an hour trying to find the place.

Didnt do the last one because I was feeling distinctly unwell.

Went home, spent the evening getting sick. Think Iv caught some bug doing the rounds :(

On my deadlift...so far! Im not expecting another pr on that now for a good while I would say.

My squat is going nowhere, still havent been able to get into a groove with it. Downloaded a copy of Dave Tates "The Vault" yesterday so going to have a quick flick through it and see what he has to say about skwatz...

psshhh was only recently your deadlift wasn't going anywhere. You'll find your groove soon and then you can man up. Shouldn't be long now!

^^^
    Was out with that bug for a couple of days.

Today

Warm up
    Foam rolling

Front Squat
    20KG

x5
    x5
    x5

Shoulder Press
    X8
    X8
    X8
    X8

RDL
    20KG
    X8
    25KG
    X8
    25KG
    X8
    30KG
    X8

Bat Wings
    X10
    X10
    X10

Today.

Stupidly went in with no caffeine, hungover and well quite possibly dehydrated.

Disaster.

Nearly killed some lad in there and gave myself an awful fright at the same time.

Front Skwatz

x5
    x5
    x5

Bench

x5
    x5
    x5

Deadlift

40KG
    x5
    x5
    x5

x5

gave up and went home before I injured myself or someone else!

Tonight

Warm up

Front Squat 20KG
    X5
    X5
    X5

Bench 20KG
    X5
    X5
    X5

Deadlift

40KG
    X5
    50KG
    X5
    55KG
    X5

*bench tonight was alot faster than its ever been

Checked in with my coach today.

Said there have been improvements, but im over thinking my front squat, so I drilled it alot, he took some vids, dont know if il put them up when he sends them because iv almost corrected the little foward hip pop I was doing.

The good news is my shoulder mobility seems to have improved. Aim from here is to get stronger and hopefully il be back squatting in the not too distant future.
    Also iv lost some inches from various sites which is very pleasant to discover.

Happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Checked in with my coach today.
    Said there have been improvements, but im over thinking my front squat, so I drilled it alot, he took some vids, dont know if il put them up when he sends them because iv almost corrected the little foward hip pop I was doing.

Re: The vids.
    I post vids on my log as a place to store them in chronologcial order so that I can go back over them and look at how my form has progressed-whether for the good or the bad. They are mainly posted for me, as it's my log, I don't post for an audience I post for me,.. but, of course it also acts as a helpful tool.. in that the guys can keep an eye on what I'm doing too and offer advice.

That's just my view with regards to vids.Think about WHY your posting the vids-Maybe you want to track progress? Have a place to store them? Or look for advice? If ya don't have a reason then you've pretty much answered your own query.

Well I have to look at them first because he took quite a few, think he said he deleted the bad ones and he also by chance didnt record what he felt was my strongest set.

With regard to posting videos in general I havent had reason to think about why im putting them up. When I put up my first deadlift one I was sans coach,program or direction.
    Thats all changed now and while viewpoints are welcomed, ultimately its my coach who I will be listening to at the end of the day. In addition to this I suppose it is nice to be able to look back and see your progress over time and the vids are good aids for form and technique correction for this.

Tonight

Spent some quality time with the rumble roller, I.T bands..well that was interestingly painful.

Front Squat

20KG
    X5
    22.5KG-p.r
    X5
    25KG-p.r
    X5

Bench

20KG
    X5

22.5KG-p.r
    X5

22.5KG
    X5

Deadlift

40KG
    X5

50KG
    X5

60KG
    X5- rep p.r

Felt good to finally add a bit to both the front squat and bench, pleased with the deadlift rep p.r too.

Three weight and one rep PR in one session. Good lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Three weight and one rep PR in one session. Good woman.

fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Nice work! It seems the answer to the front squat and bench tech issues is front squat and bench more and heavier. :)

columok wrote: »
    Nice work! It seems the answer to the front squat and bench tech issues is front squat and bench more and heavier. :)

Bench was as dodgy as hell, almost pinned myself a couple of times :o so weird what the tiniest amount of additional weight does.

Tonight

Warm Up

Front Squat

20KG
    x5

22.5KG
    x5

22.5KG
    x5

Shoulder Press

x8
    x8
    x8
    x8

RDL

20KG
    x6
    30KG
    x8
    40KG
    x6
    50KG
    x6*
    40KG
    x6**

Bat Wings

x10
    x10
    x10

*wasnt really nailing these form wise, Henners talked me through it so I dropped down the weight and took it from there
    **this set was better I think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

You probably did have too much weight on the bar initially.

That said, You were definitely getting the hang of them towards the end.
    Last two sets were bang on and as you said, you were feeling it where you were supposed to.

• Advertisement

Today

Warm Up

Front Squat

20KG
    X5
    X5
    25KG
    X5

Bench

20KG