Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Islam vs Atheism (debate)

Options
  • 14-02-2011 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Islam vs Atheism (debate)

Where: Kirwan Theatre concourse NUIG
    When: 2011-02-14 Time: 18:30 – 20:00 International Public Speaker Hamza Andreas Tzortzis will speak for Islam, whilst Michael Nugent, of Atheist Ireland, will speak for Atheism. Interesting views to be heard on both sides so it's not to be missed!

Michael Nugent, a writer from Dublin, Ireland, and chair of the advocacy group Atheist Ireland.

HAMZA ANDREAS TZORTZIS IS AN INTERNATIONAL PUBLIC SPEAKER ON ISLAM, A WRITER AND RESEARCHER. HE HAS DEBATED PROMINENT INTELLECTUALS AND ACADEMICS. SOME OF HIS INTERLOCUTORS INCLUDE THE LEADING HUMANIST AND BEST SELLING AUTHOR PETER CAVE, THE EDITOR OF THE PHILOSOPHY NOW MAZAGINE RICK LEWIS AND THE HIGHLY ACCLAIMED PROFESSOR SIMON BLACKBURN. MORE RECENTLY HAMZA DEBATED ONE OF THE LEADING AMERICAN ATHEISTS AND SECULAR ACTIVISTS DR. ED BUCKNER, THE PRESIDENT OF AMERICAN ATHEISTS.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Ooh debating with religious people, what's next week's debate? Head vs Wall?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

When is Islam vs Atheism (fight) on?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Elohim

Ya they'll just thrash out their views, have a nice debate and all leave with the exact same viewpoint they had when they first went in.

If the choice is Allah vs Nothing, I choose nothing and won't be persuaded otherwise, I have a bad back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Elohim wrote: »
    Ya they'll just thrash out their views, have a nice debate and all leave with the exact same viewpoint they had when they first went in.

If the choice is Allah vs Nothing, I choose nothing and won't be persuaded otherwise, I have a bad back.

But what if you used another name for God, like, say... Your own boards.ie user name?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

I laughed my ass off when I read their poster: "Islam vs Atheism: Which one is right?"

As if a true atheist would ever consider themselves "right" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Elohim

Seaneh wrote: »
    But what if you used another name for God, like, say... Your own boards.ie user name?

Very good, I thought by using a name other than the blatantly obvious "God" I might blend in amongst ye but you've found me. I am in fact God and I will not stand for any debate on the matter (lets not take away from the debate in Kirwan).
    If I were you I'd choose the side of "Nothing" too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Are we discussing this in Galway for a reason.
    Shouldn't this at least be in the what's on thread, or are we cool with posting event blurbs now? Honest question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Elohim wrote: »
    Very good, I thought by using a name other than the blatantly obvious "God" I might blend in amongst ye but you've found me. I am in fact God and I will not stand for any debate on the matter (lets not take away from the debate in Kirwan).
    If I were you I'd choose the side of "Nothing" too.

Don't be silly.

I have everything, nothing simple wouldn't do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Would like to attend but can't make it tomorrow night. I have a few muslim friends, thankfully they're liberal, wouldn't be able to tolerate hardline conservative I don't think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

He will be a westernized liberal, moderate, "fake" Muslim.
    Ya want to see the real story, have an Athiest debate a regular non-westernized ´slim.
    Dog an pony show.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Read charter. OP copied to What's On. This locked.
    For anyone who wants to discuss Islam there are two threads in Politics and AH about Cameron's speech the other day.

What to expect:
    Islam or Atheism? With Hamza Andreas Tzortzis & the president of American Atheists

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement