Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fertility and childhood cancer

Options
  • 14-02-2011 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I had cancer as a very young child and thankfully have grown up to be a healthy young woman. I was curious if there are any women here who had cancer as children and have since gone on to have families? My ovaries were also transposed in case I was to receive radiation therapy but didn't need it in the end as the chemo was successful. Has anyone else experienced ovarian transposition and what was the outcome? Did you have to have the procedure reversed in order to conceive? I plan to bring these topics up with my GP shortly but I was curious to get a little information from the public beforehand.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OK folks we know the oul rules. No medical advice. Thanks

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I had radium treatment as a young child for an overactive thyroid and was diagnosed with oesophageal cancer when I was 32. I have other health issues also - am 36 and our son is over 10 months old, am expecting a little sister for him in May. I know that our situations are different but am just saying what happened to me. Best wishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Just to let you know there is a parenting forum which also has aTrying to Conceive sub-forum, either of which might have more of the kind of posters you are after - give a shout if you want the thread moved. :cool:

All the best OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the responses and its great to hear a success story from Cathymoran. Best of luck with your second birth.

Ickle Magoo - I'd appreciate it if you could move the post to "Trying to Conceive" sub-forum

Many thanks

Advertisement