Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lots of text tattoo, help please.

Options
  • 14-02-2011 12:54am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭

Hey everybody I'm looking into getting a tattoo from a song, I want the entire lyrics and not just a few lines, we're talking 120+ words here so I need advice on placement, font, size etc. I'm not willing to just take a verse from said song. I cant get it tattod on my back either so at the moment I'm thinking ribs only due to size... I'm aware of the pain factor!

Does anyone have any other suggestions, how small can I go with the font, will smaller fonts go blurry and unreadable a few years down the road? Would 120+ characters fit on my arm? Any idea of cost, would it cost more because it has a LOT of characters and small intricate bits? Could anyone reccomend an artist who has done similar work or who is just shít hot in the Munster area? It will be my first tattoo and I'm absolutely shítting myself over getting the right person to advise me and who can actually carry it out.

Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

FearDark wrote: »
    Hey everybody I'm looking into getting a tattoo from a song, I want the entire lyrics and not just a few lines, we're talking 120+ words here so I need advice on placement, font, size etc. I'm not willing to just take a verse from said song. I cant get it tattod on my back either so at the moment I'm thinking ribs only due to size... I'm aware of the pain factor!
    Likelyhood is, you won't be able to get that much done without being willing to get a really large part of your body dedicated to it.

Does anyone have any other suggestions, how small can I go with the font, will smaller fonts go blurry and unreadable a few years down the road?
    Yes, they'd blur into each other/themselves and be unreadable in most cases if you go small.
    Would 120+ characters fit on my arm?
    120+ characters, yes. 120+ words, not a chance.
    Any idea of cost, would it cost more because it has a LOT of characters and small intricate bits?
    A lot of characters = more time = more expensive.

I would say you may need to seriously reconsider this to be brutally honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Pauleeeeeeee

You'd pretty much have to get this tattooed down your back if it's to be feasible (which I don't think it is anyway).

If you went too small with the text then the words would just turn into a blur of mush after a few years.

You're definitely going to have to come to a compromise or reconsider the tattoo completely if you want it to look well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

You know that saying, 'A picture is worth a thousand words'? Could you conjure up any imagery to go with the song? Might be a safer bet than getting the whole lyrics tattoo'd on you.

And in the long run I think you'll prefer an image rather than waste space on a ream of text (I don't mean to sound derogatory with the 'waste space' remark. Just meant that you have finite canvas!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I would say you may need to seriously reconsider this to be brutally honest.

Youre probarbly right, I've been looking at it and although it kills me I could narrow it down to two verses... So we're now talking 60 chars ish...
    chin_grin wrote: »
    You know that saying, 'A picture is worth a thousand words'? Could you conjure up any imagery to go with the song? Might be a safer bet than getting the whole lyrics tattoo'd on you.

And in the long run I think you'll prefer an image rather than waste space on a ream of text (I don't mean to sound derogatory with the 'waste space' remark. Just meant that you have finite canvas!)

To be honest its the lyrics I want, I love, not the imagery of the song but the actual song. So no, a picture in this case isnt worth a thousand words, I've my heart set on a tattoo of the lyrics.

Does anyone have any examples of a lot of text done to the body? Google images is throwing all sorts at me and none are jumping out at me, seems like I'm being fussy but this is something thats going to be on me forever and I want it to be right, I'm getting it for me, I'm not trying to please anyone else either.

Thanks lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

check out my photo in the introduce yourself section. i got the national anthem done on my back and it pretty much took up my whole back and its not that long a song

• Advertisement

lucyfur09 wrote: »
    check out my photo in the introduce yourself section. i got the national anthem done on my back and it pretty much took up my whole back and its not that long a song

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70320371&postcount=4470

Indeed, its not a long song but it did take up most of your back... Is it possible to go smaller, also back is out of the question for me [large birthmark]

you can go smaller, the best thing to do would be print out the song at home and then reprint it smaller and smaller till your happy with the size and it fits where you wanna do it. then take it too a tattoo artist and ask could they do it where you want it. if back is completly out i'd go for thigh, more space(generally) than your arm.

you can go smaller, the best thing to do would be print out the song at home and then reprint it smaller and smaller till your happy with the size and it fits where you wanna do it.

Not much use as this could be too small to be tattooed clearly and without letters blurring into themselves/one another

Right an update, I printed it out on a "couple" of sheets of paper and its ****in massive! Definately have to cut it down now I guess. The plan is to have it ready to rock by Saturday and hopefully get it done then, have to decide excatly on the wording by then and size/font. For anyone interested this is what I want, I've highlighted in bold what I absolutely have to have included. Any suggestions as to anything I can add to it such as music notes or quotation marks or something so it doesnt just look flat. Font ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Hey... oooh...
    [B]Sheets of empty canvas, untouched sheets of clay
    Were laid spread out before me as her body once did.
    All five horizons revolved around her soul
    As the earth to the sun
    Now the air I tasted and breathed has taken a turn
    [/B]
    Ooh, and all I taught her was everything
    Ooh, I know she gave me all that she wore
    And now my bitter hands chafe beneath the clouds
    Of what was everything.
    Oh, the pictures have all been washed in black, tattooed everything...

I take a walk outside
    I'm surrounded by some kids at play
    I can feel their laughter, so why do I sear?
    Oh, and twisted thoughts that spin round my head
    I'm spinning, oh, I'm spinning
    How quick the sun can drop away
    [B]
    And now my bitter hands cradle broken glass
    Of what was everything?
    All the pictures have all been washed in black, tattooed everything...

All the love gone bad turned my world to black
    Tattooed all I see, all that I am, all I'll be... yeah...[/B]
    Uh huh... uh huh... ooh...

[B]I know someday you'll have a beautiful life,
    I know you'll be a sun in somebody else's sky, but why
    Why, why can't it be, can't it be mine[/B]

Y'all can call me a ghey now.

Right an update, I printed it out on a "couple" of sheets of paper and its ****in massive! Definately have to cut it down now I guess. The plan is to have it ready to rock by Saturday and hopefully get it done then, have to decide excatly on the wording by then and size/font. For anyone interested this is what I want, I've highlighted in bold what I absolutely have to have included. Any suggestions as to anything I can add to it such as music notes or quotation marks or something so it doesnt just look flat. Font ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.
    That's a LOT of text, even with just the bolded bits...
    So we're now talking 60 chars ish...
    Dunno how you were counting it, but 60 characters would get you this much:

Sheets of empty canvas, untouched sheets of clay
    Were laid spread out be

• Advertisement

Not much use as this could be too small to be tattooed clearly and without letters blurring into themselves/one another
    the next sentance after what you quote says "then take it to an artist to see if they can do it"

I seem to have mixed up characters with word count...

So, its not gonna happen?

the next sentance after what you quote says "then take it to an artist to see if they can do it"

Better off just bringing the text in to the artist to be honest, let them deal with the sizing. There's no point printing it off in a certain size if it's just not gonna suit, as only the artist will know for sure really, and it will depend on the font used too.

Nice choice of song. I'd try to get it done as maybe a sleeve. That is I'd try to conjure up an image for each verse and let it (even) flow down. ;)

But in the end it's up to you. If you want it in a place where you can read all of it it's going to be a tough decision in placement! Or you could pull a memento and tattoo different areas with each verse?......No?.......Just a suggestion.

Ah, whatever you do it'll mean a lot to you and ultimately that's what matters. Be sure to post the results though!

Is it possible to wrap that much txt around my arm spiraling down?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

This may not help but if ye cut out the "Oh"'s and "Uh"'s and fiddly bits like that at least that would cut out some characters for you! Or maybe you were going to do that anyway :o

Awesome song choice by the way.

Yeah the ooh's and aah's are coming out of it allright! Its so hard cut bits of it out though... Its killing me cutting it down to 2 verses already. If I could get it wrapped around my arm id be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

You definitely have to keep the ending!

Though ye could cut out the 2 extra "why"s as well then so :P

Right, I cant get rid of more than this... What are the chances?
    Sheets of empty canvas, untouched sheets of clay
    Were laid spread out before me as her body once did.
    All five horizons revolved around her soul
    As the earth to the sun
    Now the air I tasted and breathed has taken a turn

And now my bitter hands cradle broken glass
    Of what was everything?
    All the pictures have all been washed in black, tattooed everything...

All the love gone bad turned my world to black
    Tattooed all I see, all that I am, all I'll be...

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life,
    I know you'll be a sun in somebody else's sky, but why
    Why, why can't it be, can't it be mine

And yeah, thanks it is an awesome song, Pearl Jam are pure class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ozzbound

Across your chest mate?

• Advertisement

ozzbound wrote: »
    Across your chest mate?

I'm saving that for something else :o plus I dont think a crap load of text would look good on my chest, but thanks.

I've been looking up some google images and come across some examples of "small" text, I think small enough to do my tattoo as a wrap around on my arm if thats possible, you know what I mean - I want the text to be completely wrapped around my arm and spiraling downwards? Check out example3 here, I really like the font too. Its ok if it starts up on the top of my arm at the point where it can wrap around completely and then go low but nothing past my elbow... Is it possible in that font in Example3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I want the text to be completely wrapped around my arm and spiraling downwards?

Saw this thread the other day and meant to come in with this suggestion.

I think that would look pretty cool imo, and I can't imagine you not having enough space if it is wrapped around and spiralling down.

Out of the three of them, I like the first and third, but I think the third would suit the wrap/spiral effect better than the first.

Pretty cool idea, has me wondering what the song is :pac:

edit - Just realised the song is there, oh the joys of reading a thread the wrong way :o

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Out of the three of them, I like the first and third, but I think the third would suit the wrap/spiral effect better than the first.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm a big fan of the third font myself and think the same that it would suit lyrics as opposed to un-joined letters, looks like it was done with a quill or something to suggest that it was hand written. I suppose the next step is to go into a Tattoo parlour with my little song and see if it fits around my arm. Literally cant wait :D Gotta go to the gym now and start pumpin the guns ha!

Oh and as if you didnt know :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm a big fan of the third font myself and think the same that it would suit lyrics as opposed to un-joined letters, looks like it was done with a quill or something to suggest that it was hand written. I suppose the next step is to go into a Tattoo parlour with my little song and see if it fits around my arm. Literally cant wait :D Gotta go to the gym now and start pumpin the guns ha!

Oh and as if you didnt know :P

As stupid as this is going to sound, the subtitles look perfect size for going around your arm :pac:

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    As stupid as this is going to sound, the subtitles look perfect size for going around your arm :pac:

Maybe I should get the artist to embed the youtube clip on my arm! How cool would that be!

Wait a minute! Just had a thought (bear with me on this!), but you know the old 3d? The red and blue? Would you save space by putting half in red and half in blue?

I know that sounds messy as f*ck, but if it was done right it might come out well.

(Examples)

Wait a minute! Just had a thought (bear with me on this!), but you know the old 3d? The red and blue? Would you save space by putting half in red and half in blue?

I know that sounds messy as f*ck, but if it was done right it might come out well.

(Examples)

I dont know whether your taking the piss or not!! God... messy yes!

I dont know whether your taking the piss or not!! God... messy yes!

Honestly? No. No I wasn't.

Just one of those moments where you think something will work.

Symbols? A different language?..............Still not taking the p!ss. :o

I know! Binary! Around your leg. Or something. No?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

You know that saying, 'A picture is worth a thousand words'? Could you conjure up any imagery to go with the song?
    The plan is to have it ready to rock by Saturday and hopefully get it done then
    i dont know, but im not sure you're giving yourself enough time to go through all the options, just reading the first verse i came up with something like this , just a quick sketck and scanned it black and white, im no artist(i have the vision, but not the skill, maybe) but im sure a good tattoo artist might have some other ideas for the song, verse by verse, or whatever

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I really cant see how that will work anywhere apart from a back and since thats out of the question id go with something else. Did you decide on a studio?

Advertisement