Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friends Hotmail has been hacked

• 14-02-2011 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Two friends of mine have had their Hotmail accounts hacked and I receive 4 or 5 emails everyday from each account, is there anyway I can block them?

I've tried just blocking their addresses but the emails are still getting through.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

just tell them to change their passwords? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Crasp wrote: »
    just tell them to change their passwords? :confused:

They say they've tried it and it still doesn't work. I'm not really that close to them so can't even try and sort it for them. Proper annoying it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Have you checked the headers on the emails? The name in the from field means nothing, it is far too easy to spoof.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭VirtualWorld

What worked for me, while not ideal... is to ask your friends to delete your email address from their address books. The emails are being routed out through their address book entries it would seem.

I had my own hotmail account infected too some many months back, and deleting everyone from my address book solved the problem of my sending these emails on to others. Any I've since received from anyone else once I ask them to remove me from their address book I stop receiving those emails from them.

Like I said, not a solution, but a workaround that seems to work.

Advertisement