Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can I grow?!

Options
  • 14-02-2011 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭

After a month of living in a north-facing apartment that got NO natural light whatsoever, I've moved into a house with sunlight and a garden. The novelty! I've already got seven herb pots lined up on the windowsill but I'm wondering, is there anything else I can grow? It's a rented house so I won't be digging up the garden, I'm more looking at things that can be grown in pots. I know I've seen threads on this before but couldn't find them-so any advice is appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved to Gardening from Cooking & Recipes.

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭karl tyrrell

Just because your renting should not stop you digging the garden once you start growing you cant stop,if its pots your starting with i would go with the easy stuff spring onion,beetroot,radish,carrots,lettuce,tomatoes,peas all do well in pots,strawberrys,rasberrys,gooseberrys,then all your herbs chives,dill,rosemary,basil,mint,parsley,thyme,and so on,i grow spuds in in big pots every year,most other veg need space in the garden i have friends who rent and use the garden your paying for it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

why not but a rasied bed kit and fill it up,you dont need to dig up the garden for them,and they dont cause a problem to remove when you are finished/moving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Art Teacher

Things that i tried when I was renting - a back yard only were; Tomaotes( have to be watered and fed,picked and ripened indoors in october) - you have to grow at least one edible plant, and tomotoes are attractive!!!

Any bulb will flower in a pot, even with neglect- its late in the bulb season but now in Feb I would still plant lilies .

Go mad in may/june and buy whatever bedding plants take your fancy, they are all good in pots but you need to water _ thats if we get sunshine!

Advertisement