Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed re model of Star Trek Enterprise

Options
  • 14-02-2011 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Hi,
    I got a present a few years ago of the Star Trek Enterprise from the Next Generation tv series. It's a fibre optic model, which like all models needs to be assembled. Is there anyone out there who could build this for me?. I'm based in Limerick. Any help would be much appreciated as I would like to have this displayed at home

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭source

buzzman wrote: »
    Hi,
    I got a present a few years ago of the Star Trek Enterprise from the Next Generation tv series. It's a fibre optic model, which like all models needs to be assembled. Is there anyone out there who could build this for me?. I'm based in Limerick. Any help would be much appreciated as I would like to have this displayed at home

The best part of displaying a model is the knowledge that you built it, what's holding you back from putting it together? As models go, federation ships from Star Trek are pretty easy to put together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

foinse wrote: »
    The best part of displaying a model is the knowledge that you built it, what's holding you back from putting it together? As models go, federation ships from Star Trek are pretty easy to put together.

Definitely, have a good look over it yourself and see what you think, maybe the thought of building it was daunting, and you did not look at doing it. Displaying it after you build it would be far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Tango Alpha 51

Thanks lads. Have looked & looked over it countless times. I've built many an airfix model in my time but this thing is complicated. I know the pleasure of having built models but it has nearly 1,000 holes to be drilled for these fibre optic lights & i'm not sure if its within my capabilities to do this. Rather than destroy what will be a fantastic display model, i thought that there would be some people who make models on a professional level. If not I'll be left with no alternative but to try my hand at it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭source

Drop into The Gathering on Lower Gerald Griffin Street, They've a few really good model makers going in and out of there. might be able to give you a name or even help make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭3nero

There are a few model making companies in Ireland ( i work for one) but before you call any you should know the average cost to build something would be around €15 per hour and your enterprise could take anywhere from 50 to 100 hours to build :eek:

What company makes the kit?
    what scale is it?
    Do you have a dremmel (mini drill)
    Lidl sometimes sell cheap mini drills and you would have all the holes drilled in no time. Fibre optics are really not that hard to work with but you may end up with hundreds of tiny invisible splinters all over your hands (ouchy)

My advice is to get yourself a breakfast in bed type of tray (with legs) and while you are siting on the couch watching TV you can work on it for a few hours every night, you'll soon get into it and won't be able to stop untill it's finished.
    Then you can post up some pics for all to see :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

I think this model is being made sound more difficult than it is.
    There is nothing like a thousand holes to be drilled. Maybe ablout 30 on the top of the saucer, 30 on the bottom and about 20 on the hull.
    The model actually comes with a little drill!
    A lot of these star trek models are really very simple with not too many parts, and the one you have isnt too bad to make look decent
    I built one a few years ago and had the building parts done in a couple of evenings.
    Ok i went to town on the painting, but thats me.

what does it say on the box? "age 10 to adult"... go on you can do it!!!

Advertisement