Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Spyware Protection" Malicious Software -Help!

• 14-02-2011 7:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

My computer picked up some sort of virus this morning and I need help removing it.

Basically, the virus pretends to be anti-spyware software. Its a program that calls itself "Spyware Protection" and it starts to "scan" my PC for viruses, immediately finding one but then telling me that I need to activate the full features of the program to remove the virus it claims to have found. Activating the full features involves going online and paying someone via credit card.

I can't seem to run any other program because the anti-spyware software is preventing it so I've no idea who to run a proper virus scan using something like AVG to remove the malicious program.

I've tried looking for it in Add/Remove programs but it doesn't show up. I searched for "Spyware Protection" and it leads me to a shortcut that is linked to a file called Defender.exe

Any advice on how I should go about removing this program?

Comments

Advertisement