Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MWC Phones?

• 14-02-2011 10:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭

Morning,
    just creating a thread for people to post links to the new android phones announced at MWC.

So far we've got

SonyEricsson Xperia Neo
    110213mwc091neo2209.jpg

SonyEricsson Xperia Pro
    110213091seprohh.jpg

SonyEricsson Xperia Play
    xperia-xplay-top-pic-rm-eng-600.jpg

Motorola Droid Pro
    motopro02142011.jpg

All images from engadget.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Samsung Galaxy S II
    galaxy-s-ii-hands-on-03-sm.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The new Galaxy S 2 seems to be the pick of the bunch so far, performace wise at least. Hopefully there will be some good new ones announced from the likes of HTC as well, although I will be skipping this round of new handsets until at least next years one anyhow.

Hoverphone, here I come!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

No sign of it yet. Other announcements were fairly underwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Delboy5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ongarite

Incredibly disappointing line-up from HTC.

Desire S is barely any better than the original Desire.
    Only difference is proper internal storage this time and front camera from Desire HD.

The Galaxy S2 is the flagship phone at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yeah I was ready to throw wads of cash at some fantastic new HTC offering but it looks like Samsung will be getting my money this year.

HTC I AM VERY DISAPPOINT! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Fairly disappointed with the htc offerings too, got a sgs at the moment with no intention of upgrading but it is nice to see some progress being made even if your own device is being outdated! Its hard to see much of an improvement from htc though, the galaxy s II is miles more impressive in terms of design and specs. As an aside, there are rumours that the next iphone will have a 4" screen, which would only put the squeeze on that "new" htc incredible s even more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Very disappointed with the HTC line up including their Tablet.

So far the atrix is still the phone I am most looking forward to seeing this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Awful lineup from HTC. Just a basic refresh of last year's phones. Froyo on their flagship, WTF? No dual core, less RAM than the competition, 720p video, still using a pretty small battery... what are they at, seriously? And while I generally prefer the materials HTC use to those of Samsung, they've still managed to beat the back of almost every phone they've made since the Legend with a mighty big ugly stick. Really disappointed. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

actually on a separate note if Orange (or any other provider) get a similar sort of discount for the ZTE skate as they had with the Blade it could well be the surprise hit of the year.

Yes not the greatest spec sheet in the world but hopefully that is in a bid to drive down costs

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/15/zte-skate-coming-near-you-later-this-year-with-android-2-3-4-3/

I'd love to know what has happened in HTC because in the last 18 months they've become incredibly lazy as a company. I don't know has success brought complacency or if there was some reorganization at managerial level. Whatever it is they need to get the finger out asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

It seems that the HTC line-up is being refreshed, rather than being replaced. I think that is the right move at this point. What HTC is trying to do is get out of the "space race" seen in Android. Screen sizes and processer speeds are rising and cores are multiplying. 3D screens are being introduced.

But what is the difference in performance? Android can't really harness the power of dual-core processers, until later updates. The current LG and Samsung phones are only reinforcing why Nokia choose WP, to make your product stand out it needs to be an incredibly expensive product, there is no evidence that real consumers will pay that price. Many are still more than happy with the likes of the iPhone 3GS, which continues to sell in significant numbers.

HTC is being smart, because the sad thing is that none of the 3D/Dual Core/Gimmick will matter come mid-June when Apple release a warmed over iPhone with just one core and one differentiating feature. Last year it was "Retina Display" and FaceTime, HTC will add the features that customers want from the iPhone in an Android flavour, just in time for Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ongarite

Couldn't disagree more with that.

The iPhone 5 is going all out on hardware specs again this year with dual-core processor, GPU & NFC and its going to leave all the HTC phones in its trail.

Android can harness this power with Honeycomb for tablet & Gingerbread 2.4 for phones but HTC are sticking to Froyo with Sense 3.

Only Samsung seem to be looking forward with iPhone 5 rivalling specs.
    Being a middle of the road spec phone as HTC seem to be doing isn't what made HTC the Android phone brand to have in 2010.

bd250110 wrote: »
    It seems that the HTC line-up is being refreshed, rather than being replaced. I think that is the right move at this point. What HTC is trying to do is get out of the "space race" seen in Android. Screen sizes and processer speeds are rising and cores are multiplying. 3D screens are being introduced.

But what is the difference in performance? Android can't really harness the power of dual-core processers, until later updates. The current LG and Samsung phones are only reinforcing why Nokia choose WP, to make your product stand out it needs to be an incredibly expensive product, there is no evidence that real consumers will pay that price. Many are still more than happy with the likes of the iPhone 3GS, which continues to sell in significant numbers.

HTC is being smart, because the sad thing is that none of the 3D/Dual Core/Gimmick will matter come mid-June when Apple release a warmed over iPhone with just one core and one differentiating feature. Last year it was "Retina Display" and FaceTime, HTC will add the features that customers want from the iPhone in an Android flavour, just in time for Christmas.

I’d agree with a lot of what you’ve said, particularly on the futility of the tech arms race that’s happening on Android. However, if you’re not going to sell yourself on specs you’ve got to make sure that you can differentiate yourself in terms of design and I if I could sum up HTC design at the moment in a word it’d be generic. Where is the company that produced the likes of the HD2, a phone that was not only a beast in terms of spec but had/still has one of the most attractive designs I’ve ever seen. Where’s the edgy design of the likes of the Hero? Everything they’ve put out lately is the same dull template. SE also aren’t really putting the latest hardware into their new phones, but at least they’re setting their high end apart in terms of design e.g. the (imho) fantastic looking Arc or the unusual/innovative Play.

And all of this is of course, ignoring the perception of value that comes from paying top dollar for mid range hardware. Whether it matters or not to actual performance, spec is as much – if not more so- a function of marketing than usability. Cores are the new megapixels in the phone market.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

actually on a separate note if Orange (or any other provider) get a similar sort of discount for the ZTE skate as they had with the Blade it could well be the surprise hit of the year.

Yes not the greatest spec sheet in the world but hopefully that is in a bid to drive down costs

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/15/zte-skate-coming-near-you-later-this-year-with-android-2-3-4-3/

I imagine they are going for the cheap and cheerful market again like the blade. If they keep the pricing good it could be a bargain just like the blade.

Advertisement