Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids Birthday Party

Options
  • 14-02-2011 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi there, looking for some advice on kids birthday parties!! We have a 4th birthday coming up soon and I don't know what to do. We have never really done a birthday party so far and if I could get away with it for another year I want to try! Some of the other friends have had their birthdays already, big bashes, but then they have always done so. I suppose my experience of those parties is that the mothers hang around and compare the children all day long, which drives me crazy!

I suppose I'm wondering what to do this year, we normally just have a family affair with cousins etc. Should I succumb this year to the big bash with a load of kids that my child will be going to school with in Sept?? Or should I stick to the family and a few of our close friends and their children as I have always done?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

If you don't like the idea of the other type of party I wouldn't do it. Is the child himself asking for any particular type of party?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kabep

She would like her friends there. The other parties of these friends though have been like competitions amongst the mothers not even the kids. The most recent had about 15 kids and only 4 of them were the same age as the birthday child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

Find a balance that you and your little one are both happy with, if she is in preschool you could ask the staff there if it is ok to leave a cake with them and share it out among all the kids you could supply party bags or not depends on what the playschools policy is, all our local ones are open to some sort of birthday celebration. Personally I only ever had cousins for partys before my children started school.
    As for the mums thankfully I havent come across this, we would usually just have a natter over a cuppa and some cake.
    If you decide to have a party just give a time for mums to drop off the kids and pick them up at no need for them to hang around.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

At age 4, you can still get away with a small party at home. (I shouldn't worry about parent politics with having to invite everyone from school etc, I doubt people will be offended, and of course be discreet about if you only invite one or two).I recommend just family and maybe one or two special friends.You can have a bit of music and dancing games like musical statues (with sweetie prizes) and pass the parcel. They will probably spend most of their time running around the house and playing with new toys though. As long as they have some attention, it's not too overwhelming.I have done quite a few 4 year old parties (as a Mum and as a Nanny) and it can be a lovely day with finger food for everyone, adults having a banter and of course a cake, maybe with a theme of the current passion; Thomas, Peppa, etc.

Good luck, don't stress too much, and have a nice party!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

If you have a big bash this year, you're really stuck with doing one like that every year. If you can get away with a small one this year, just family and a few littles, I suggest you go for it. They really are a pain.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement