Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loooking for an apartment to rent in Sligo - possibly Brooklawns?

Options
  • 14-02-2011 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for a place to rent in Sligo for three months (April, May and June.) I'm checking Daft and the other sites regularly, but am having trouble finding the right place, as the majority of estate agents are only willing to do a six month lease minimum.

Just thought I'd post here on the off-chance that someone might know of a suitable place that will be available which hasn't been advertised on Daft etc. yet - I'm really anxious to find a place as soon as possible, as I'll be too busy with work next month to go looking.

What I need is an apartment/house with minimum two bedrooms (or a one-bed with lots of space for studying.) I'm looking for somewhere in a quiet area south of the town, but within ten minutes driving distance. Brooklawns on the First Sea Road seems ideal, and other areas I've been looking at include Strandhill and Ballisodare. My budget is around €500-€550, might be able to stretch it a little bit if I found the perfect place.

By the way, I'm a female professional in my mid-twenties from Sligo, and I'd be moving in on my own, I'm looking for a place to study for the three months so won't be having any wild parties or anything! And I have plenty of employment references, landlord references, etc.

Thanks! smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Hey
    Brooklawns is on strandhill road it's about a ten min walk into town, it's part of a development which has not filled up by any means and can be quite dark and lonely at night time so wouldn't be suitable for a female to walk in on her own. The houses and apts are nice down there and it is very convenient.

Strandhill is going to be more expensive in general but is a really nice village with the beach and some nice walks, pubs, pharmacy, smaller shops and great vibe. It's a 7 min drive into town it's not walkable really but there is a bus service.

Ballysadare is a bigger town on the edge of sligo town, it's about a ten min drive to town, not as nice as strandhill and not an awful lot that would draw a person out there to be honest.

If it was me i'd go for strandhill especially if you've any interest in surfing it's where it's at for the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

I can recommend Brooklawns, I have lived there the past five years with wife and two young kids and have been very happy there. There is about 6 houses down the back that have not been sold, there is three or four appartment blocks which are mostly occupied .. its a nice area and very close to Finiskin Industrial estate, I have sent your request on to a few people who are on the management committee to see if there is anything going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭titanium feather

promethius wrote: »
    Hey
    Brooklawns is on strandhill road it's about a ten min walk into town, it's part of a development which has not filled up by any means and can be quite dark and lonely at night time so wouldn't be suitable for a female to walk in on her own. The houses and apts are nice down there and it is very convenient.

Strandhill is going to be more expensive in general but is a really nice village with the beach and some nice walks, pubs, pharmacy, smaller shops and great vibe. It's a 7 min drive into town it's not walkable really but there is a bus service.

Ballysadare is a bigger town on the edge of sligo town, it's about a ten min drive to town, not as nice as strandhill and not an awful lot that would draw a person out there to be honest.

If it was me i'd go for strandhill especially if you've any interest in surfing it's where it's at for the area.

Thanks for the advice. :)
    Scarlet42 wrote: »
    I can recommend Brooklawns, I have lived there the past five years with wife and two young kids and have been very happy there. There is about 6 houses down the back that have not been sold, there is three or four appartment blocks which are mostly occupied .. its a nice area and very close to Finiskin Industrial estate, I have sent your request on to a few people who are on the management committee to see if there is anything going.

Thank you so much for that, I really appreciate it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

My mother has an apartment in Brooklawns....Currently occupied but they have said they may be moving out soon.....Will let you know if this is concrete....

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

I work in a rental agency in town and the choice of rented accomodation is at an all time low- i think its a mix of flooded houses , no supply of new houses - anything half decent is renting in a day at present - for example we have a waiting list for 3 bed houses in rusheen ard and we cant meet demand in any half decent areas .
    Because of this prices are not coming down so if its a bargain you need its the wrong time - i have sent you a pm with a few options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Sligored wrote: »
    I work in a rental agency in town and the choice of rented accomodation is at an all time low- i think its a mix of flooded houses , no supply of new houses - anything half decent is renting in a day at present - for example we have a waiting list for 3 bed houses in rusheen ard and we cant meet demand in any half decent areas .
    Because of this prices are not coming down so if its a bargain you need its the wrong time - i have sent you a pm with a few options.

Are you serious, where i live there are two empty houses for rent in the town area just as an example, walking distance to town in a nice area, new and well furnished at reasonable rate. There are loads of places to rent in sligo the surrounding areas. Daft showing 220 rentals in sligo with 80 in the sligo town area and that's only showing some of what's available.

BronsonTB wrote: »
    My mother has an apartment in Brooklawns....Currently occupied but they have said they may be moving out soon.....Will let you know if this is concrete....

Great, thanks! smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mydearwatson

I'd wouldn't bother with Brooklawns if I were you ..... there are much nicer places you could get, that are actually in the town, for the same price. It's a bit of a crap area, out by Finisklin, there are no shops or pubs or anything really nearby. I'd go for either the town itself, or else for one of the smaller villages like Strandhill or Rosses Point. Just don't see what would draw you there, really!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

I'd wouldn't bother with Brooklawns if I were you ..... there are much nicer places you could get, that are actually in the town, for the same price. It's a bit of a crap area, out by Finisklin, there are no shops or pubs or anything really nearby

Well as I'm from the "crap" area I'd beg to differ. The OP did say they were looking for somewhere quiet. Town is easily accessible from Brooklawns or anywhere else nearby. Don't know much about Brooklawns itself, but I'm sure it would be fine for someone looking to study for a few months, it certainly seems quiet enough.

Great suggestion about Rosses Point .. loads of shops there ... and ice cream vans and its sooo much closer to town than Brooklawns!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭cloonton

Rosses Point closer to town than Brooklawns??? Am I missing something here? Anyway...
    OP, personally I love Brooklawns - never had any trouble walking in or out of town etc, altho it is a fair walk to the nearest shop / pub / atm, I must admit. Not a problem if you have a car, tho.
    Have you considered Ard Finn or the apartments at the top of the Rathedmond estate, by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

cloonton wrote: »
    Rosses Point closer to town than Brooklawns??? Am I missing something here? Anyway...
    OP, personally I love Brooklawns - never had any trouble walking in or out of town etc, altho it is a fair walk to the nearest shop / pub / atm, I must admit. Not a problem if you have a car, tho.
    Have you considered Ard Finn or the apartments at the top of the Rathedmond estate, by any chance?
    murrays is a few mins walk up the road....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

There is a block of appartments on larkhill road just accross from Murrays shop and beside a bus stop.

Had a quick look and there does not appear to be any to rent at the momnet.

However there is one in Larkhill Woods at the bottom of Larkhill Rd.

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1008026

Also there is one in Thornhill House beside the Strandhill Road railway bridge.

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1010597

cloonton wrote: »

sorry was being scarastic! .. been living in Brooklawns over 5 years now and think its great!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭cloonton

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    sorry was being scarastic! .. been living in Brooklawns over 5 years now and think its great!

Aaah, maybe I should note the number of o's in a 'so' before I jump to conclusions, so. On the plus side perhaps this is the perfect opportunity to set up a Brooklawns Appreciation Society thread!!:D

OP, Thornhill House are those apartments at the top of the Rathedmond estate I was talking about... I just never bothered finding out their proper name :o
    That block might be a bit busier than you'd like, but with a nice trade-off considering how close they are to town.

Thanks all for the PMs, but I still haven't found anywhere suitable ... if anyone knows of anyone with a place that might suit, please get in touch! :) Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Thanks all for the PMs, but I still haven't found anywhere suitable ... if anyone knows of anyone with a place that might suit, please get in touch! :) Thanks!

The apartments in hollymount beside cartron are nice nice big centra after opening round the corner from it aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

A friend of mine has a room to rent in a lovely 3-bed duplex, don't know if that would suit you....at present there are two professional females living there, very nice girls who are out quite a bit so I wouldn't imagine you'd have a problem with noise.
    If you're at all interested PM me and I'll give you her details.

Advertisement