Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a soldiers letter

Options
  • 14-02-2011 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

wonder if anyone has any more information on the couple in this letter..

while roaming around galway museum yesterday we found this.

what looked like a service manual for radiators or something {well, to me anyway :) } was sitting on a shelf, it had a black cover, and no writing to say it was anything important, and it wasnt inside a cabinet or anything...just randomly left on a shelf....i didnt pay it much attention as i went by it.....but i looked back a couple of minutes later and my wife was reading through it...she called me over to show me what was inside...a soldiers* letter to his sweetheart in 1918....they were both from galway, but he had found himself injured from battle in a hospital in egypt, and she had found herself in america, the reason why she was in america wasnt clear, but it appears it is temporary..

*he was a member of The Connaught Rangers ("the Devil's Own") - an Irish Regiment of the British Army during WW1.

anyhoo....this is hardly readable...due to batteries having died on my good camera and this was snapped with our ****ty little point and shoot thing...but it is readable if you try...and i think it is very much worth reading.

this was donated to the museum by the grandson of the couple...they eventually married and settled back home in galway after the war ended.

hope someone gets something from this..

DSCF4015.jpg

^^
    this is what is written above...as its hard to read due to a bad photo of it...
    excuse writing and mistakes, i am lying down as i write this letter xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    my dearest bridget xxxxxxxxxx
    i take the greatest of pleasure in answering your most kind and forever loving letters. i recieved them all quite safe. i can see by all your letters that your love for me is just the same as it was in the happy days of long ago. i know you will be very sorry to hear that i have been wounded since i came to egypt. i got wounded on the 18th of july this year. of course you might like to know what part of the body i was wounded. well don't laugh. i was wounded in the 'bottom' you know where i mean excuse me for saying the word. the proper name is 'buttock'. i know you wont mind, you love me much, and its well i know it. you will be delighted to hear that i got over two operations quite safe. i had to have the operations to get the bullet taken out. the doctor failed to find it the first time + finished the job. operations are grand things, did you ever try one?. i am writing this letter as i am laying in bed. i cannot sleep on those hospital beds its such a....

DSCF4017.jpg

DSCF4019.jpg

DSCF4020.jpg

DSCF4022.jpg

DSCF4023.jpg

DSCF4026.jpg

DSCF4027.jpg

DSCF4028.jpg

DSCF4030.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I read that when I was there. Moving stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

That unit , the Connaught Rangers, fought in the Battle of Armageddon in September 1918 ( More) . I think the letter is dated 30 August not 30 September so he could have missed Armegeddon.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭coolegrain

thanks...thats interesting..

more on the connaught rangers...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connaught_Rangers

which were part of...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_Expeditionary_Force

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

we must all go to sleep so I must finish this letter, the nurse tells me I must be in love

Ahhhh bless :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Thanks OP,

That's interesting stuff and so appropriate for today!

Its a bit worrying how the letter was just left on a shelf for anyone to maul over. We've a few bits and pieces about the Connaught Rangers but I've always been loathe to trust them to that museum. I don't think your experience would change that view!

They've a museum in Boyle which is supposed to be very impressive with a lot of artefacts relating to the rangers. Sadly, I think that would be a better home than Galway museum for ranger's related stuff.

Anyway, thanks again for taking the trouble on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭coolegrain

@ churchview.....this is where it was when the wife looked at it...

182087_499367890806_729135806_6742911_2783125_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Galway City Museum

Just to point out that the soldier's letters discussed here are actually only copies of the originals, which are still in the possession of the family. As copies they have been left out for visitors to view and read at their leisure. When museum objects are being placed on display, they are always mounted within secured cases. Only exceptionally large objects are left on open display and in that case they are secured by other means.

There is indeed a display of Connacht Ranger material from the Connacht Rangers Association on display in King House in Boyle, Co. Roscommon. The Association have also very kindly loaned us a selection of objects for the military display at Galway City Museum.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

Just to point out that the soldier's letters discussed here are actually only copies of the originals, which are still in the possession of the family. As copies they have been left out for visitors to view and read at their leisure. When museum objects are being placed on display, they are always mounted within secured cases. Only exceptionally large objects are left on open display and in that case they are secured by other means.

There is indeed a display of Connacht Ranger material from the Connacht Rangers Association on display in King House in Boyle, Co. Roscommon. The Association have also very kindly loaned us a selection of objects for the military display at Galway City Museum.

That should be ConnaUGHT Rangers. Tsk tsk, Museum!

Advertisement