Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me escape my fat suit!

Options
  • 14-02-2011 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi there,

I have been inspired by all on here to get motivated and lose the 3+ stone I have put on over the past 5 years. :)

I am 46.
    I am 12 stone.
    I am 5 foot 6.
    I gave up smoking 5 years ago and then I piled on the weight.
    I have worked for the past 5 years basically sitting on a sofa for long periods of time.
    I have done very little exercise.
    I am starting the menopause!
    I was 8 and half stone up until 5 years ago.
    I am now feeling quite down and depressed and very uncomfortable with how I look and feel.

I am a vegetarian and do not eat to excess.

I currently have a cross trainer, an ab cruncher and a racer bike at my disposal.

I am looking for some advice or some guidance as to how to begin a program.

I want to try and lose some weight and start some fitness myself before joining a gym etc.

Any feedback would be really appreciated.

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 NKearney50

Yesterday I did 7 minutes on the cross trainer in the morning after breakfast.

I had a bowl of Fruit and Fibre and one slice of toast with margarine and half teaspoon marmalade. Cup of tea with no sugar.

For lunch I had one slice of bread with 2 thin slices of cheese and a cup of tea.

During the afternoon I had a handfull of grapes.

For dinner I had one egg and 2 slices of toast and 4 thin slices of cheese with a glass of water.

Then had one cadburys cream egg (Valentine treat).

I then went for a 15 minute cycle.

Then I stretched for 10 minutes.

That is the most exercise I have done in years. A bit soar today but looking forward to getting on with it.

Any feedback would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Hey :)

I'm a vegetarian too, and like you I thought that I ate pretty well, until I actually sat down and looked at what I was eating. My diet consisted mainly of carbs such as pasta/noodles/potatoes - which in isolation are grand but not when your whole daily diet is full of carbs already! You should take a few days to log your diet on fitday.com, I don't do it regularly, but a few days of it helped me to get a rough idea of what I needed to eat more of/cut down on. I try to stick between 150-200g carbs a day now, compared to 400g+ which is what I was taking in before:eek: That might not seem very low, but it's a realistic figure to aim for imo if you're a vegetarian, as you're already pretty limited. Also, I'd switch the fruit and fibre for the likes of Porridge or even weetabix/oatabix if I were you, or maybe an omlette since you eat eggs.

Exercise-wise, to start with the most important thing is to just do something - anything that gets you off the couch! It's great you have some cardio equip at home, sure you could be doing some intervals on the cross-trainer when you're watching Corrie! ;) I'd definitely suggest joining a gym, because you'd really benefit from adding some weight training to your workouts too. I'm not going to go off on a big spiel about the lifting weights, but I'll just say that it's definitely something you should look in to!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Great to see another new log!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 NKearney50

G86 many thanks for your comment.

I would not feel confident enough just yet to join a gym.

I am going to drag the cross trainer into the kitchen later.....a few spurts throughout the day may help me. :)

I spent most of the evening trying to put an exercise plan together.

Do you think exercising for 30 mins a day is enough to start with?

I have also put together some new low fat recipes.

Looking forward to a cycle later tonight.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

NKearney50 wrote: »
    G86 many thanks for your comment.

I would not feel confident enough just yet to join a gym.

I am going to drag the cross trainer into the kitchen later.....a few spurts throughout the day may help me. :)

I spent most of the evening trying to put an exercise plan together.

Do you think exercising for 30 mins a day is enough to start with?

I have also put together some new low fat recipes.

Looking forward to a cycle later tonight.

Thanks again.

Of course it is, just make sure you work hard for the 30mins! :) I'd aim to do intervals if I were you, maybe start off with a 10min warm up and then go hell for leather for 20mins - e.g. 2mins high intensity/1 min low intensity. I haven't done intervals on a cross trainer for a while, but that's what I used to do. If you're doing it right, you'll be wrecked by the end of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement