Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Fans in the World? **Mod Warning. Read OP.**

Options
  • 14-02-2011 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30 superelectric

MOD Warning

A number of people have pm'd me with constructive reasons as to why this thread should be re-opened. There seems to be an appetite for this discussion so I'm minded to re-open, BUT be warned this is not an excuse to have a go at other provinces supporters or initiate any 'class-warrior' guff. There will be zero tolerance for any such on this thread. If you go there you will be banned.

What's wrong with Irish rugby fans? I left Lansdowne Road yesterday embarrassed and not because Ireland's mistakes cost us a game we should have won but because Ireland played to a full stadium without the support they deserved. Yesterday wasn't the first time I witnessed such a lack of support for an Irish team. Last season I was in Croke Park for our 6 Nations opener against Italy and the atmosphere was nonexistant. It surprised me, especially as we were the reigning Grand Slam champions. Some people may argue that "it was only Italy" but as a supporter you should show your support no matter what and I don't mean just by turning up, but being heard.

Provincial Rugby in Ireland has done so much for the game, the passion on the pitch is emulated in the stands. Support for the provincial teams has soared over the past number of years with fans from all walks of life, but when it comes to International rugby we're all snobs.

The French fans yesterday were terrific, even when behind. They sang and roared their hearts out. Apart from 15 minutes at the start of the game and 10 minutes from the end the Irish support wasn't there. There were a couple of attempts of The Fields of Athenry that faded out almost unnoticed. After France scored their try I started belting out Ireland's Call only for some idiot behind me to tell me to be quiet. When I questioned his loyalties he jokingly said they were at the bar! I had the pleasure of speaking to a couple from Carlow who were attending their very first rugby international yesterday and both were very surprised at the lack of support from the Ireland fans going as far as to say they'd prefer to be sitting in front of the tv with friends where they could enjoy the game.

When Ireland won the Grand Slam in 2009 they did so by only playing two home games. I wonder would they have won the Grand Slam with three home games?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

What's wrong with Irish rugby fans? I left Lansdowne Road yesterday embarrassed and not because Ireland's mistakes cost us a game we should have won but because Ireland played to a full stadium without the support they deserved. Yesterday wasn't the first time I witnessed such a lack of support for an Irish team. Last season I was in Croke Park for our 6 Nations opener against Italy and the atmosphere was nonexistant. It surprised me, especially as we were the reigning Grand Slam champions. Some people may argue that "it was only Italy" but as a supporter you should show your support no matter what and I don't mean just by turning up, but being heard.

Provincial Rugby in Ireland has done so much for the game, the passion on the pitch is emulated in the stands. Support for the provincial teams has soared over the past number of years with fans from all walks of life, but when it comes to International rugby we're all snobs.

The French fans yesterday were terrific, even when behind. They sang and roared their hearts out. Apart from 15 minutes at the start of the game and 10 minutes from the end the Irish support wasn't there. There were a couple of attempts of The Fields of Athenry that faded out almost unnoticed. After France scored their try I started belting out Ireland's Call only for some idiot behind me to tell me to be quiet. When I questioned his loyalties he jokingly said they were at the bar! I had the pleasure of speaking to a couple from Carlow who were attending their very first rugby international yesterday and both were very surprised at the lack of support from the Ireland fans going as far as to say they'd prefer to be sitting in front of the tv with friends where they could enjoy the game.

When Ireland won the Grand Slam in 2009 they did so by only playing two home games. I wonder would they have won the Grand Slam with three home games?

In answer to your question we wouldn't have won the Grand Slam with three home games as we'd have been playing france and England away.

Although I do agree that the French fans were great. It was like a home game for france.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭murphyaii

I went to the ireland v france game 2 years ago in croke park.
    I've been to other gaa games there before and it must be the people who go.
    stuck up middle class who don't know how to enjoy themselves at a sport event.
    no atmosphere whatsoever.
    I now watch all rugby games in the pub or at home where the atmosphere is much better

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

I don't blame the lad behind you, Ireland's Call is awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

In response to the 'stuck up middle class' comment.

Been to plenty of matches in the Old Landsdowne Road and the atmosphere was electric! Helped, no doubt, by the proximity of the crowd to the players.

Also to matches in Croker....where the atmosphere was good but clearly not as good as it was in Landsdowne....

And it has been downhill since that :(

Crowd is changing, as it should, but with it expectations and traditions are changing too.

As an example, the silence for the kicker....

How many times was 'The Fields' sung? And how loud? And when??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

The visiting away fans ALWAYS sing loud. Irish fans in Millenium, Twickenham and Murrayfield always louder than at home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

murphyaii wrote: »
    I now watch all rugby games in the pub or at home where the atmosphere is much better

:rolleyes:

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

I thought the anthems were sung loudly by Irish fans and the minutes silence was immaculately observed.

There was silence for the kickers, although it was for a brief few seconds before the kick was taken (bar the few arseholes screaming)

There was a distinct lack of chants/ songs from the Irish fans. I can only remember one - Fields.

Through the passages of play and the scores I thought the atmosphere was quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Sunday games are always quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

What a load of crap. There was a great atmosphere in the ground yesterday.

Also the French fans are notoriously fickle when the game is not going there way.

Its always the most passionate fans that travel to away games and they were there in numbers yesterday.

Our national anthem is not the national anthem of a quarter of our supporters so we are not going to randomly burst into it like the French do.

Another reason might be that our traditional rugby songs like The Fields and Molly Malone are now so associated with the provinces that its hard to get all the supporters to sing them.

Anyway I thought the support was great yesterday. Much improved from the AI's and Croker. Its great to be home again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

murphyaii wrote: »

So you went to one match and you drew the conclusion that all the supporters were stuck up middle class folk? :rolleyes: Must be only the lower classes who go to the Leinster/Munster/Ulster/Connaught games so........

Glad not everyone judges things on one example! Never at an international at Lansdowne Road?? Back in the days when it was all upper and middle class folk and the atmosphere was unreal??

Get over the whole class difference rubbish, old argument, been battered to hell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Thinspired

I couldn't go myself but speaking to friends who did go yesterday the general consensus is that the atmosphere was terrible, they all reckoned they'd have had a better time watching it in the pub.

It'd be interesting to know how many of the people who were there yesterday went because they were offered tickets through clubs/corporations/businesses and not because they were all that pushed about the game. If that kind of thing happens across the board then there were probably hundreds of people there yesterday who weren't bothered about the game.

I do agree though that an away crowd is always louder. if I've paid for flights, tickets and accommodation by god I'm going to scream the place down for the entire 80 minutes to make sure I get the value out of it! And usually by the time I've paid for away games I can't afford the home games, which is what's happened this year. New Zealand has eaten up my rugby budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Considering that bar 5 minutes at either end of the first half, we were essentially shíte for the entire game, what exactly is there to cheer?

Fans don't cheer mindlessly in this part of the world (in contrast to, say, Brazilian football fans, who, I noticed, were often not paying any attention to the match) they require something to cheer. We didn't do anything worth cheering often enough, because of the constant dropped balls, and misplaced passes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TheHighRoad

It's an odd one alright considering the incredible support at provincial games. I think people just don't feel as close to the Irish national team. This isn't helped by the coach having loyalties to certain players when the dog in the street can see there are better players deserving of a chance. This was true with EOS and its true with Kidney. People want to get in behind the Irish team like their provinces but its never going to happen unless the politics are taken out of it. I hate going to Irish games where Munster/Leinster supporters are more interested in supporting their provinces players and criticising their rivals than actually wanting the team to do well. I'll never forget when a group of supporters started singing Mally Molone and some fans responded by shouting over Fields of Athenry. It's hard to enjoy a game when theres such evident rivalry. It was even the case as far back as the Humphrey's v O'Gara battle. I have one memory of fans actually jeering Humphrey's when he made a mistake and I was just ashamed. Then I remember a fan standing up during a game when O'Connell was dropping ball after ball and shouting someone get Edward ****in Scissor Hands off the pitch! and then cheering whenever he dropped the ball- that isn't supporting your team.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,164 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Im sure im going to get a little slaughtered for this but from what I see too many people go to games really have never had an interest in rugby up to last 5-10 years, especally women who just go to see the good looking lads really, know there are few women who know rugby but they are rare.

Also too many guys leaving about 10 minutes before half time to get bite to eat or go to toilet. Whats the point in showing up?

I have been going to Rubgy, Soccer and GAA matches for past 20 years and rugby by far has worst support Home or Away now. The atmosphere was fantastic in old Landsowne but thats because the true rugby fans went to these games.

I know Welsh and English lads who go too plenty of away games and they said exact same in that the Old Lansdowne was far better and now Ireland home games since going to croker have been poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

in fairness he has a point,some of the fans at irish games are a joke,iv seen people go to the bar's and wait there for the whole game with their pint and watch the game on the small tv screens and not bother to go out to their seat,why pay 70 euro to do that.why not just go to the pub if thats what your going to do

I actually thought it was quite a hard game to get into as a fan, there were far too many errors and stoppages. It would be interesting to see how long the ball was actually in play for, especially in the first half when we had 5 minutes of brilliance, followed by 30 mins of error strewn rubbish and penalties, then a final 5 mins of passionate charging. Thought the atmosphere at the NZ game in the autumn was great, due in no small part to it being a much better game of rugby.

Im sure im going to get a little slaughtered for this but from what I see too many people go to games really have never had an interest in rugby up to last 5-10 years, especally women who just go to see the good looking lads really, know there are few women who know rugby but they are rare
    How do you expect the game to continue its expansion of the previous decade if there is going to be a snobbish self-perception of degrees of 'fan'?
    So what if somebody wasn't into the game 5 or even 10 years ago?
    Also too many guys leaving about 10 minutes before half time to get bite to eat or go to toilet. Whats the point in showing up?
    Twickenham and Millenium Stadium if not as bad, are worse.
    I have been going to Rubgy, Soccer and GAA matches for past 20 years and rugby by far has worst support Home or Away now. The atmosphere was fantastic in old Landsowne but thats because the true rugby fans went to these games
    This is, I'm afraid, a misguided perception. There have been corporate ticketholders going to Ireland games for a very long time.
    I know Welsh and English lads who go too plenty of away games and they said exact same in that the Old Lansdowne was far better and now Ireland home games since going to croker have been poor.
    Were your English colleagues at the game in 2007?
    If the game goes the way that a particular crowd wants, they'll lift. If it doesn't, they won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I made sure to sing Amhrán na bhFiann as loud as I could, and Irelands Call for a change too because I'm very conscious of the poor support from so many quarters at the games. My throat is in bits today because of all the noise I was making in a ridiculously vain attempt to make up for those around me.

When Fields started up (and I only heard it twice) I tried to get it going but other than the OH beside me and a bloke directly behind me (who wasn't singing too loudly) no one made any effort at all. It's impossible to get into it in those situations. At times it felt like we were in Paris and not Dublin. I've been in the Upper and Lower tiers, East and West at Ireland games and it seems to be the same everywhere. A load of people out to just watch the game.

That said there were def pockets of serious supporters giving it socks. Would love to find out who they are and where they sit cos I hear them in the distance but never seem to get sat with them! It must have been hard on the lads to hear the French fans so clearly and not their own. But I think one huge difference between the French and us is that they have a core few chants (the Allez les Bleus etc) that once started every one of them get behind. We don't have that. So you get sections doing their own thing rather than the entire stadium all doing the same thing. Saw it in Clermont as well before Christmas. They all just seem to act as one.

The Fields of Athenry is Munster's chorus, why do you think all Irish fans would suddenly start singing it?

Molly Malone is the only song that everyone seems to get into in my experience, but it still has a Leinster slant, doesn't really pack a punch, and very few people know the words to second verse!

JustinDee wrote: »
    How do you expect the game to continue its expansion of the previous decade if there is going to be a snobbish self-perception of degrees of 'fan'?
    So what if somebody wasn't into the game 5 or even 10 years ago? Dont really have any problem with fans coming to games who are new to sport it is very much welcome and excellent to see, the problem lies in people who dont really care about going to the game get the tickets easily from a corporate group and spend most there time in bar.

Twickenham and Millenium Stadium if not as bad, are worse. No way is Millenium worse or equal to Lansdowne or Croker before that, simple as that. Been to other Wales games other then Ireland and that is not the case

This is, I'm afraid, a misguided perception. There have been corporate ticketholders going to Ireland games for a very long time. But not half as many if quarter even

Were your English colleagues at the game in 2007?
    If the game goes the way that a particular crowd wants, they'll lift. If it doesn't, they won't.Yes they were, and it was a terrific atmosphere. As good as it was it was, not as good as the Hurling or Football All ireland last year or Ireland soccer games against Italy and France in 09. Not trying to say it was poor atmosphere cause it was emotional but the fact Ireland slaughtered England that day helped too you know

• Advertisement

Dont really have any problem with fans coming to games who are new to sport it is very much welcome and excellent to see, the problem lies in people who dont really care about going to the game get the tickets easily from a corporate group and spend most there time in bar
    Every popular sport enjoying a large crowd has this. There isn't one which doesn't.
    No way is Millenium worse or equal to Lansdowne or Croker before that, simple as that. Been to other Wales games other then Ireland and that is not the case
    Guess what? Its worse or equal to Cardiff and Twickenham.
    But not half as many if quarter even
    In my experience of the game, yes there has always been a large proportion. Nothing has changed proportionally, to the levels you allege anyway, in three stadia-worth of the same game.
    As good as it was it was, not as good as the Hurling or Football All ireland last year or Ireland soccer games against Italy and France in 09
    I don't really care how it compares to other events. Its subjective cherry-picking.
    Not trying to say it was poor atmosphere cause it was emotional but the fact Ireland slaughtered England that day helped too you know
    Yes, as I said, people lift with success. Were you there? If you are going to try and tell me that the atmosphere at Croke Park only lifted once Ireland looked like winning, I'd have to say you weren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

It was a bit of a joke tbh, even watching it from home, it was very noticeable. Says it all when Le Marseillaise was by some distance the loudest of any chant ringing out over the course of the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Sport101 wrote: »
    Molly Malone is the only song that everyone seems to get into in my experience, but it still has a Leinster slant, doesn't really pack a punch, and very few people know the words to second verse!

Not getting into a provincial thing but i dont know anyone who would consider Molly Malone an irish rugby song or am i missing something.

Dont think i've ever really heard it sung at an International in any sort of major way. Maybe i'm wrong there though..I dont get to too many these days with the cost of things.

PS i hate the fields even for Munster. i'd prefer Stand up and fight myself in a munster context which rarely happens but got a great outing at the London irish game a few weeks ago. great song.

Re Molly Malone-I haven't heard it in years myself, but It used to get a run out in the old Lansdowne.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

vkid wrote: »
    Not getting into a provincial thing but i dont know anyone who would consider Molly Malone an irish rugby song or am i missing something.

Dont think i've ever really heard it sung at an International in any sort of major way. Maybe i'm wrong there though..I dont get to too many these days with the cost of things.

PS i hate the fields even for Munster. i'd prefer Stand up and fight myself in a munster context which rarely happens but got a great outing at the London irish game a few weeks ago. great song.

Before that dirge was released on the Irish public in the mid-eighties, Molly was the song Irish rugby song.

Since when does singing some god awful dirge make you an uber fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

The Fields of Athenry is Munster's chorus, why do you think all Irish fans would suddenly start singing it?!

Because we have been singing it for years before the munster v leinster rivalry took off,its not suddenly.

Every popular sport enjoying a large crowd has this. There isn't one which doesn't. Your right except there are far far more who do it at rugby games.

Guess what? Its worse or equal to Cardiff and Twickenham. I have been to both on number occassions and while Twickenham can be quite maybe even very quite at times same cannot be said for Cardiff. End Of. Its one of few stadiums that has brought forward its support from the old Arms Park to the new one and fair play to them for that.

In my experience of the game, yes there has always been a large proportion. Nothing has changed proportionally, to the levels you allege anyway, in three stadia-worth of the same game. Well I dont have exact figure, maybe you do but if you are correct then the ones who go now are far quieter.

I don't really care how it compares to other events. Its subjective cherry-picking. hmm, dont know really how to answer that but in ways that kind answer why new Lansdowne atmosphere sucks really.

Yes, as I said, people lift with success. Were you there? If you are going to try and tell me that the atmosphere at Croke Park only lifted once Ireland looked like winning, I'd have to say you weren't. Yes I was there with English lads and gave my reasons why it was still not as great as everyone says on my last answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Locked. Back to the game of rugby union folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

A number of people have pm'd me with constructive reasons as to why this thread should be re-opened. there seems to be an appetite for this discussion so I'm minded to re-open, BUT be warned this is not an excuse to have a go at other provinces supporters or initiate any 'class-warrior' guff. There will be zero tolerance for any such on this thread. If you go there you will be banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

The Fields of Athenry is Munster's chorus, why do you think all Irish fans would suddenly start singing it?

It bemuses me how Munster can claim a song that is inherently Connacht. And it bemuses me even more how attached it is to Rugby - I mean clearly it's the rebel nature of the song that results in its popularity but by that extension why not sing Sean South from a Munster perspective?

The Fields of Athenry does lend itself to a mass chant by the tone and flow of it; low lamenting verse followed by an explosive chorus. Even across the water it's been ripped off by Liverpool fans [Fields of Anfield Road; there isn't a field for a ****ing mile around there except the pitch!].

The Marseillaise and Flower of Scotland are the standard in terms of songs/anthems; both of them are absolutely stirring in full flow in the flesh.

Advertisement