Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Fans in the World? **Mod Warning. Read OP.**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

Wow, he didn't know a rule that one of the international players had obviously just forgotten... what an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭whadafook

I've followed Ireland home and away over the last 10 years or so. I agree that the move to Croke Park resulted in a reduction of atmosphere

Per previous posts you'll always get travelling fans making more noise praticularily as they tend to be grouped in the same section

The atmosphere in the stadium was disapointing on Sunday but I do think it can only improve as we get more used to our new surroundings. The general mood in the country doesn't help matters either

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

You are kidding right?

That last part was tongue in cheek, I'd be happy enough with singing both anthems away from home and if not sure throw in on Puc ar Buaile or something ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭The Rooster

One of the best atmospheres I was at was away to Toulouse. The home crowd just create non-stop noise. Cheering when their team has the ball, booing when the opposition have it, but there's no let up. When the opposition get a kick at goal the noise reaches a crescendo. No respect for the kicker, but fabulous atmosphere!

Did make me wonder whether we go over the top with all this respect the kicker stuff. On a big day in Thomond, you can get absolute silence for a kick at goal, but otherwise the out half might get booed every time he touches the ball, and huge noise often goes up when its an opponent's line out. Why is there respect for the goal kicker but no respect for the lineout thrower??

Not that I'd suggest changing the Thomond tradition. The change from noise to absolute silence and back to noise actually adds to the atmosphere - not to mention it can often unnerve the opposition kicker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

buck65 wrote: »
    I've noticed this alot in the new Thomond as well. Crowd goes flat waiting to be entertained. One or 2 people try to get it going and are left hanging until maybe another section of the crowd gets going and everyone joins in.

Of course then you get moments like Northampton pool game last year where the atmosphere for the last 10 or 15 minutes was absolutely frightening, O Connell in the bin , Howlett in the scrum that is getting destroyed and us on our 5 meter line and somehow with the collective will (and probably a bad feed) we win the scrum against the head. I have never experienced anything like that at a sporting occasion before.

Of course people look back on the old days with rose-eyed vision, I was at many rugby games in the past where the atmosphere was poor as well, maybe we talk about it more now because of the "Thomond factor" or whatever.

Also my top moment in Thomond. WE were sat in the middle of a load of Northampton fans who literally could not believe it. (we got the tickets of their club) They were impressed by the atmosphere before POC got binned but were blown away by the atmosphere in the last 10-15 minutes. Place went mental..

whatever about Thomond, i dont like the Aviva as a stadium and dont think it really helps an atmosphere for some reason. Maybe we'll all grow into or something..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Some people who go to the games just dont have a clue
    Some people at games who think they have a clue, actually haven't the slightest iota.
    As Jerry Seinfeld said: "People . . . they're the worst".

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭FayeRayRay

I was at the game on sunday I thought there was a great atmosphere. The french fans are notorious for their chants. A french woman beside us even got her boobs out !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Boobies :)

and not on the pitch, even nicer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Think we had far too many boobies on the pitch as it was :eek:

I think the lack of terraces has something to do with it. I've only been going to matches over the last 10 years or so but when you see some of the games on Rugbai Beo on TV the trraces look amazing. I think Thomond and Ravenhill still capture some of that with their terraces, but outside Cardiff (they don't stop singing!) I don't think I've experienced it at an international.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭crisco10

Not sure you can blame the stadium. The atmosphere at Leinster - Clermont in the same stadium was pretty rocking. Although, in support of the terrace argument, generally most of the Season Ticket Holders stand in the North end of the ground. This acts as a sort of "epicentre" for chants.

To be honest, I think we just lack chants/songs.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of it, Molly Malone and The Fields of Athenry have provincial associations now. This means that a fair chunk of the "hardcore" will not be too up for singing one of these. (shameful admission here, I wanted and tried to sing The Fields on Sunday, but I just couldn't.)

That leaves us with "Ireeeeeeeeeeeeeeelaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand" or drums/clapping followed by "IRELAND!". Neither of these are exactly great. Certainly don't have the legs of "Allez les bleus" or "Come on you boys in blue/green/fuschia/etc"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

JustinDee wrote: »
    Some people at games who think they have a clue, actually haven't the slightest iota.
    As Jerry Seinfeld said: "People . . . they're the worst".

Well when someone who has showed absolutely know emotion whatsoever thru out the game turns around and asks you what that penalty was for (when the french second row played the ball after the no 8 had knocked it on) then you are talking about someone who really hasnt a clue..

Well when someone who has showed absolutely know emotion whatsoever thru out the game turns around and asks you what that penalty was for (when the french second row played the ball after the no 8 had knocked it on) then you are talking about someone who really hasnt a clue..
    Or is someone getting into the game for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

cson wrote: »
    Simple answer; people have to work the next day and can't get locked.

2 Questions -
    (1) Does a match require drink to have atmosphere?
    (2) Do GAA matches lack atmosphere?
    Would be interested in replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Does a match require drink to have atmosphere?
    sadly, for a lot yes,

drink = lessening of inhibitions leading to more people singing, also people who are on a buzz would be more inclined to start singing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Sugarfree

I seriously think its the types who are getting their hands on tickets these days. I was lucky enough (or unlucky enough) to get corporate box tickets for the game on sunday and I couldnt believe the lack of passion and singing around me. When we got that penalty in the second half for offside after ROG had missed touch some guy infront of me turned around to me and asked why it was a penalty. Some people who go to the games just dont have a clue

This is one of the reasons why this is GAA country instead of Rugby country. Rugby had and still has a snobby element where the ordinary working man of Ireland is not welcome. Rugby is the symbol of the Celtic tiger and all its uglyness. I am glad that the band wagon seems to be over. Back to true Ireland, the GAA and even soccer.

crisco10 wrote: »
    Not sure you can blame the stadium. The atmosphere at Leinster - Clermont in the same stadium was pretty rocking. Although, in support of the terrace argument, generally most of the Season Ticket Holders stand in the North end of the ground. This acts as a sort of "epicentre" for chants.

To be honest, I think we just lack chants/songs.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of it, Molly Malone and The Fields of Athenry have provincial associations now. This means that a fair chunk of the "hardcore" will not be too up for singing one of these. (shameful admission here, I wanted and tried to sing The Fields on Sunday, but I just couldn't.)

That leaves us with "Ireeeeeeeeeeeeeeelaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand" or drums/clapping followed by "IRELAND!". Neither of these are exactly great. Certainly don't have the legs of "Allez les bleus" or "Come on you boys in blue/green/fuschia/etc"

+2000000

We need some choooons!
    2 Questions -
    (1) Does a match require drink to have atmosphere?
    (2) Do GAA matches lack atmosphere?
    Would be interested in replies.

Alcohol is a social lubricant, cannot be denied. It allows people get over the awkwardness of the fact that they might be the only person singing in the 50 people around them, and will make it more likely that others will then join in.

Tipsy people love singing/being loud!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

So is the point of this thread by the OP to label the Irish as the worst rugby fans in the world?
    I always thought it was something we prided ourselves on as a nation.
    Italia 90, Munster fans at away games? Irish rugby fans, North and South, Catholic/Protestant coming together to cheer on a united team.
    One thing for sure is we are better fans when our teams are winning but to say we are worse than the French when our team is losing is completely wrong.
    I'm not one to tar an entire nation with the same brush. There's good and bad in every country.
    You watch an Edinburgh or Glasgow home Magners League game, you'd be lucky to see about 2k in the crowd. That 2k crowd are great supporters. The people who stayed at home are not.

Rugby supporters are a decent and respectable bunch. I'd definately take going to a rugby game with lower noise levels than that of a Premiership football match and risk violence and abusive/racist chants. Overall we are a much more honourable group.

Sugarfree wrote: »
    This is one of the reasons why this is GAA country instead of Rugby country. Rugby had and still has a snobby element where the ordinary working man of Ireland is not welcome. Rugby is the symbol of the Celtic tiger and all its uglyness. I am glad that the band wagon seems to be over. Back to true Ireland, the GAA and even soccer.
    Absolute tosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 superelectric

Sugarfree wrote: »

Clueless

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Sugarfree; banned; trolling. Some people just won't be told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭EmacB

Only reason why soccer fans have more chants is cos its just so boring they need something to keep themselves entertained :P

• Registered Users Posts: 34,107 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

My Dad was at the game with my little brother, he been going to Rugby games since 1970's and he told me that on Sunday he witnessed a guy brushing his teeth, I mean sweet fooking jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

+2000000

We need some choooons!

Alcohol is a social lubricant, cannot be denied. It allows people get over the awkwardness of the fact that they might be the only person singing in the 50 people around them, and will make it more likely that others will then join in.

Tipsy people love singing/being loud!

This is very true, the streets of Aix-en-Provence would agree too. :pac:

The Toulon fans back in January will either high or tipsy and they were seriously up for making themselves heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

It is not just rugby. Soccer internationals are the same. Irish fans are regularly outshouted by visiting teams these days and large parts of the game go by in near silence. People who go to games are divided into three categories; supporters, spectators and the self-concious. The supporter is part of the game and tries to help the team. The best ones know that a team needs support most when things are going badly. The spectator wants to enjoy the occasion and enjoy the post match festivities. The self concious are the group that would like to join in but dont know how or need encouragement.

It has really nothing to do with social class. There any amount of tossers I have seen who will moan about "the suits" and then sit in stony silence for the whole game. In the pub afterwards they will call themselves "the best fans in the world".

All seater stadia have always had a problem in terms of atmosphere. Its much easier to generate atmpsphere when you are standing up and a big gang are squashed together on the terrace.

The other thing that dampens down the crowd is playing the game on a Sunday. Quite apart from depriving Scotland of the doubtful benefit of Euan Murray, it just doesn't seem the same.

Ireland's call must be the most cringe making anthem going.

Everyone tends to be a 'great fan' or 'best in the world' when they're winning or on top hence the roar when Ireland assaulted France from the 63rd minute until the 69th for the score.

Making far too much fuss over a Sunday afternoon match 'atmosphere'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

doomed wrote: »
    It is not just rugby. Soccer internationals are the same. Irish fans are regularly outshouted by visiting teams these days and large parts of the game go by in near silence. People who go to games are divided into three categories; supporters, spectators and the self-concious. The supporter is part of the game and tries to help the team. The best ones know that a team needs support most when things are going badly. The spectator wants to enjoy the occasion and enjoy the post match festivities. The self concious are the group that would like to join in but dont know how or need encouragement.

It has really nothing to do with social class. There any amount of tossers I have seen who will moan about "the suits" and then sit in stony silence for the whole game. In the pub afterwards they will call themselves "the best fans in the world".

All seater stadia have always had a problem in terms of atmosphere. Its much easier to generate atmpsphere when you are standing up and a big gang are squashed together on the terrace.

The other thing that dampens down the crowd is playing the game on a Sunday. Quite apart from depriving Scotland of the doubtful benefit of Euan Murray, it just doesn't seem the same.

Ireland's call must be the most cringe making anthem going.
    thats a lot of nonsense about all seater stadia lacking atmosphere. I was in old trafford last saturday and the atmosphere was superb. i was at the tyrone armagh all ireland semi final in 2005 and the atmosphere was frightening it was so good . and that day the hill was nearly empty so it was coming from the seated area. the all seater excuse is balls. i was at a few rugby games in croke park and it was like a morgue. maybe the lack of atmosphere has something to do with how boring the game is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

n32 wrote: »
    thats a lot of nonsense about all seater stadia lacking atmosphere. I was in old trafford last saturday and the atmosphere was superb. i was at the tyrone armagh all ireland semi final in 2005 and the atmosphere was frightening it was so good . and that day the hill was nearly empty so it was coming from the seated area. the all seater excuse is balls. i was at a few rugby games in croke park and it was like a morgue. maybe the lack of atmosphere has something to do with how boring the game is!

It's not nonsense. Obviously you can still get a great atmosphere in an all seater stadium but it's pretty much a fact not as condusive to creating atmosphere as terracing.

For one, there's the basic fact that terracing means you can fit more people into the same space. I'd argue pretty strongly that standing together in groups makes chants and songs easier to get going too.

There was a massive outcry in Britain when all seater stadiums were made compulsory and it is accepted the there was a big effect on atmospheres around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

It's not nonsense. Obviously you can still get a great atmosphere in an all seater stadium but it's pretty much a fact not as condusive to creating atmosphere as terracing.

For one, there's the basic fact that terracing means you can fit more people into the same space. I'd argue pretty strongly that standing together in groups makes chants and songs easier to get going too.

There was a massive outcry in Britain when all seater stadiums were made compulsory and it is accepted the there was a big effect on atmospheres around the country.
    this might provoke a backlash but here goes. the demographic at irish rugby games is very different to say gaa or premiership matches. if you look at rugby matches involving ireland you will see girls in their mid 20's dressed to the nines who are there with boyfriends or there because its cool to be there. the price of tickets is outlandish aswell. i remember it was up around 70 euros in croke park. there are very genuine and passionate irish rugby fans but there a lot of people in the ground on match days who view international games as social events.

There was a massive outcry in Britain when all seater stadiums were made compulsory and it is accepted the there was a big effect on atmospheres around the country
    What? No it isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

n32 wrote: »
    this might provoke a backlash but here goes. the demographic at irish rugby games is very different to say gaa or premiership matches. if you look at rugby matches involving ireland you will see girls in their mid 20's dressed to the nines who are there with boyfriends or there because its cool to be there. the price of tickets is outlandish aswell. i remember it was up around 70 euros in croke park. there are very genuine and passionate irish rugby fans but there a lot of people in the ground on match days who view international games as social events.

This is completely unrelated to my previous point but I think you make some perfectly fair points here.

The demographic at Irish rugby games is also different to the crowds at provincial games too. I think it's pretty obvious that the price of tickets has a huge effect on the demographic which in turn alters the atmosphere.

The 'guy bringing his girlfriend to a match' thing has always annoyed me. Going to an international sporting event simply as a novelty is wrong.

Advertisement