Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Fans in the World? **Mod Warning. Read OP.**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

n32 wrote: »
    this might provoke a backlash but here goes. the demographic at irish rugby games is very different to say gaa or premiership matches. if you look at rugby matches involving ireland you will see girls in their mid 20's dressed to the nines who are there with boyfriends or there because its cool to be there. the price of tickets is outlandish aswell. i remember it was up around 70 euros in croke park. there are very genuine and passionate irish rugby fans but there a lot of people in the ground on match days who view international games as social events.

Flipside of that is that you tend to see more families which has its own set of benefits. (more so at provincial games though where tickets are cheaper)

I know my mid 20s gf comes to games with me, dressed to the 9s. Not because its cool "to be seen" but more because we tend to be going to the pub/town after and she likes to look well. She shouts as loudly as the rest of us at the ref etc and gets into the game. Now, I'm not saying every gf there is that interested but that's not to say that a well a dressed girl will not be good for the atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

The 'guy bringing his girlfriend to a match' thing has always annoyed me. Going to an international sporting event simply as a novelty is wrong.
    Who says its a "novelty" though? I don't think anyone is in a position to call duds on a fellow spectator just because they're 'the other half'.
    I took my girlfriend (Norwegian) to five Australia games and three Ireland games during RWC99. She hadn't a clue about the sport or what was going on in the game, especially during the first couple of matches.
    Apparently this is just "wrong".

There is now some sort of pecking order involved? Maybe newcomers to the sport should just start with schools or AIL and work their way up the 'rankings' of fanhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

Spot checks on the gates of big matches could keep out the riff raff- questions like-how can a pass travel forward on a pitch and still not be a forward pass? and, what are the three different ways a ball can be grounded and still be considered a try? That should make them think twice about coming to the next game without doing some serious study.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

Overpriced tickets that are never on sale to the general public, but doled for corporate events = terrible crowds

I worked with some Polish lads who were dying to see some Ireland matches in the AIs this year.
    They wanted to get tickets to the Samoa match, asked me to get them. I told them it would cost 340 bills and you had to get tix for all 4 matches.

And then I told them they had to pay €50 for the privilege of buying tickets.

Once they realised I wasn't joking, they never had any interest in going again.

On the other hand, I know a lad who got tickets to the Wales match last year and had no idea what team we would be playing, had no interest in rugby but thought he was a legend because he had tickets and no one else had.

Smart move, IRFU

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭The Rooster

skregs wrote: »
    I worked with some Polish lads who were dying to see some Ireland matches in the AIs this year.
    They wanted to get tickets to the Samoa match, asked me to get them. I told them it would cost 340 bills and you had to get tix for all 4 matches.

And then I told them they had to pay €50 for the privilege of buying tickets.

Once they realised I wasn't joking, they never had any interest in going again.
    Oops, you gave them incorrect information.

Samoa tickets were available on an individual basis.

• Advertisement

they weren't when i was asked

skregs wrote: »
    they weren't when i was asked
    To the Irish Rugby Supporters Club and then the general public, Samoan tickets were always available individually from the outset and at 50 euros each.
    For the Supporters Club event, they were 60 each.

I accept that I was incorrect.
    I was specifically told they weren't available on single sale though :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

The 'guy bringing his girlfriend to a match' thing has always annoyed me. Going to an international sporting event simply as a novelty is wrong.

That's very unfair. Most women who go to matches (in my experience of Munster ones at least) are very knowledgeable and vocal. And also they don't feel the need to demonstrate their knowledge of the laws as loudly and pompously as they can every five minutes like a lot of male fans do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭OldRio

May I just contribute,

I know a few English rugby fans (for my sins) These lads would also attend soccer games. To a man they have said the best atmosphere they have ever experienced was that match at Croker.

The soccer premiership is having problems with lower crowds and expensive tickets. I have been to the likes of Anfield, Old Traf and St James and they can be like a morgue. Don't believe the hype surrounding soccer.

The AI told the IRFU their policy on ticket prices was completely out of kilter with the average fan. France and England would always sell out. The iRFU do not care who is in the ground. It is a sell out. Why so many French ? The ticketing policy is wrong. See what happens next year. Nothing will change.

Never had a chance for home tickets this year. Going to Scotland with 5 other fans. We will make a noise. Tis a pity none of us gets that chance at home matches. That's my holiday this year. SRFU, Ryanair, B and B and the bars of Edinburgh will take my cash.
    Wake up ye men in suits of the IRFU. Proper fans will give you a proper atmoshere.
    Sorry about the rant. 'Deep breath'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The atmosphere has certainly changed in the new Lansdowne Road compared to the old LR.
    I put it down to the all-seater stadium.
    We used to go to the games and always go the errace tickets for our club. We'd all congregate together in each terrace, as every other club did and would roar our lungs out for the whole game.
    I also occasionally got tickets in the stands and the atmosphere was never as good there, particularly the West Stand for some reason.
    Now we have a stadium with no terraces and asa result, theatmosphee is a bit more muted. I don't think it's much worse than it used to be though. I think people have selective memories and are kidding themselves if they thought the atmosphere was electric in the old days.
    Sunday games will suck, as will games with early kick offs on Saturdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

I've been to the following sporting occasions in my lifetime

- 8 Autumn Internationals
    - 7 home six nations
    - 1 away six nations (Rome)
    - scores of League of Ireland football
    - 1 Munster home game
    - 1 Bundesliga match
    - 1 Heineken Cup Final
    - 1 mickey mouse summer soccer tournament at old Lansdowne rd (4 matches)

When I went to my first ever 6 nations game I was appalled at the lack of atmosphere. It really began with our weak anthems. I was at Ireland v France a couple of years ago and the French anthem puts us to shame. Even the Italian anthem in Rome was sung with more gusto, and that was with the majority of Italian fans sitting around me being ex-pat kiwis, aussies and saffers.

I had been to friendlies previously, and I guess the problem is that the atmosphere doesn't improve between friendlies and 6 nations games.

Overall, as far as rugby is concerned. Saturday evening matches bring a much better atmosphere, Sunday matches are dead, Saturday early kickoffs need a good game to get it going.

The best atmosphere I experienced was the Bundesliga game, in -2 weather. I think its because they bring you beer and hotdogs to your seats though. That would get the crowd going anywhere.

The Heineken cup final was pretty enjoyable too. Again, beer at the seats (though not delivered in this instance)

Want to improve the atmosphere? Let people bring a beer to their seats, I say. Keep large beer-free family sections for those that must think of the children.

People who wouldn't be bothered drinking at a match normally (queues, manky bathrooms etc) are more inclined to have 1 or 2 and find their voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

As what one might call a somewhat clichéd rugby fan, I find it important to point out that Saturday night games are the best because it's a wonderful way to get tanked. (Friday night ML games are the same.) Couple of pints, feeling good, at the game, it's just a great buzz.

Sunday tends to be the bitter price for Saturday night's exploits. I'd guess it was just a tired, slightly hungover crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

MrDerp wrote: »

Overall, as far as rugby is concerned. Saturday evening matches bring a much better atmosphere, Sunday matches are dead, Saturday early kickoffs need a good game to get it going.

The best atmosphere I experienced was the Bundesliga game, in -2 weather. I think its because they bring you beer and hotdogs to your seats though. That would get the crowd going anywhere.

The Heineken cup final was pretty enjoyable too. Again, beer at the seats (though not delivered in this instance)

Want to improve the atmosphere? Let people bring a beer to their seats, I say. Keep large beer-free family sections for those that must think of the children.

Its a big part of it to be fair. Love that about Thomond. In the cold weather a hot toddy, and a beer in the better weather
    The timing is a big part of it as well. Sunday, no-one really is out for the night so its muted. But as i said earlier, the Aviva just doesnt do it for me as a stadium and think the atmiosphere suffers in the new stadium. Each to their own though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

vkid wrote: »
    Its a big part of it to be fair. Love that about Thomond. In the cold weather a hot toddy, and a beer in the better weather
    The timing is a big part of it as well. Sunday, no-one really is out for the night so its muted. But as i said earlier, the Aviva just doesnt do it for me as a stadium and think the atmiosphere suffers in the new stadium. Each to their own though

I think Sunday has a bigger effect than Lansdowne though. New Lansdowne has had games with rocking atmospheres already but Sunday games there just isn't the hint of craziness in the crowd to create a buzz.

Although i do think people are over reacting a bit, I thought the atmosphere on Sunday wasn't bad. Granted the French were loud, but aren't they always?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

I don't think the atmosphere at the French game was as bad as people are saying. A big problem, as somebody else pointed out, is that we simply don't have something to match the French when he start singing or chanting. All we really do is try to shot them down with 'cmon Ireland'. That said, I was surrounded by Frenchies where I was and there were times when I felt like I was at a French home game. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭trippyrez

peterako wrote: »
    In response to the 'stuck up middle class' comment.

Been to plenty of matches in the Old Landsdowne Road and the atmosphere was electric! Helped, no doubt, by the proximity of the crowd to the players.

Also to matches in Croker....where the atmosphere was good but clearly not as good as it was in Landsdowne....

And it has been downhill since that :(

Crowd is changing, as it should, but with it expectations and traditions are changing too.

As an example, the silence for the kicker....

How many times was 'The Fields' sung? And how loud? And when??

1. Croker is a much larger stadium than the old and new Lansdowne. Your assertion about proximity to the player/pitch being one factor is indeed correct however there is another aspect that will take a while to rectify. A number of people started attending matches in Croker simply because they could get tickets. They didn't have to do much work to get them as there was generally a surplus among the clubs due to the number they were allocated. These people are slowly but surely going to be squeezed out as the IRFU rectify their pricing structure and the people who really want to be there will take up their allocation.

2. The atmosphere at certain games has been great. The All Blacks AI springs to mind immediately.

3. The expectation for silence for the kicker is a tradition that should not be changing. It hasn't at provincial level so why should it at international level. If you're at a game and someone is making noise while a kicker is lining up a kick then it is your duty to tell them to shut up. It's what I do.

4. The Fields of Athenry (which is in Connacht btw :D) sorry I couldn't resist) isn't and shouldn't be the benchmark of how well the crowd reacts to how the team are playing.

5. And there is the massive point. The atmosphere all depends on how the team is performing. If Ireland put in a good shift against England then I'm sure the roof will be lifted at the Aviva.

6. My response to the stuck up middle classes jibe? Well at least we can finish the national anthem. Not bad for fans of a "garrison sport".

7. If you think it was quiet on Sunday try going to the Stade de France when France are losing. Apart from silence you'll witness sporadic booing of their own team.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

trippyrez wrote: »

3. The expectation for silence for the kicker is a tradition that should not be changing. It hasn't at provincial level so why should it at international level. If you're at a game and someone is making noise while a kicker is lining up a kick then it is your duty to tell them to shut up. It's what I do.

how old is this "tradition"?

im fairly sure people used to the whole ooooOOOOHHHH WAAAYYYY when a kicker used to be having a shot at goal in lansdowne in the mid to late 90's.

there was certainly none of the shhhing of people or the complete silence that is common nowadays.

frankly the

3. The expectation for silence for the kicker is a tradition that should not be changing. It hasn't at provincial level so why should it at international level. If you're at a game and someone is making noise while a kicker is lining up a kick then it is your duty to tell them to shut up. It's what I do
    Doesn't bother me.
    In fact to go one step further, clapping when the opposition kicker gets one between the sticks is something I'll never get. While they're at it, clap the opposition for scoring a try and go the whole hog.

Its usually kids who shout when the kicker starts his run. On Sunday, it was the French singing Le Marseillaise for their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

CatFromHue wrote: »

im fairly sure people used to the whole ooooOOOOHHHH WAAAYYYY when a kicker used to be having a shot at goal in lansdowne in the mid to late 90's.

there was certainly none of the shhhing of people or the complete silence that is common nowadays.

frankly the

This 'tradition' is very very old. I remember silence in Lansdowne Road in 1970, and it was a long-standing tradition then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

JustinDee wrote: »
    Doesn't bother me.
    In fact to go one step further, clapping when the opposition kicker gets one between the sticks is something I'll never get. While they're at it, clap the opposition for scoring a try and go the whole hog.

Absolutely I'd clap if it's a good try. And clap if the opposition displays some incredible rugby that doesn't result in a try. And clap if an opposition player has to go off injured, particularly after playing well.

It's the rugby we're going to see. I'd prefer if it's my team playing most (but not all) of the rugby. But to not clap the opposition in those circumstances? Poor form.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Trojan wrote: »
    Absolutely I'd clap if it's a good try. And clap if the opposition displays some incredible rugby that doesn't result in a try. And clap if an opposition player has to go off injured, particularly after playing well.

It's the rugby we're going to see. I'd prefer if it's my team playing most (but not all) of the rugby. But to not clap the opposition in those circumstances? Poor form.

Completely agree. It's not a soccer match. A certain level of banter is part of it but maintaining a decent level of respect is an integral part of the sport. Unless it's Gavin Henson in which case we're required under the laws of the game to point out how ridiculous he both is and looks. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Im sure im going to get a little slaughtered for this but from what I see too many people go to games really have never had an interest in rugby up to last 5-10 years, especally women who just go to see the good looking lads really, know there are few women who know rugby but they are rare.

Also too many guys leaving about 10 minutes before half time to get bite to eat or go to toilet. Whats the point in showing up?

I have been going to Rubgy, Soccer and GAA matches for past 20 years and rugby by far has worst support Home or Away now. The atmosphere was fantastic in old Landsowne but thats because the true rugby fans went to these games.

I know Welsh and English lads who go too plenty of away games and they said exact same in that the Old Lansdowne was far better and now Ireland home games since going to croker have been poor.

I am quite upset with your comment about women who only go to rugby to see the good looking lads and that women who know about rugby are rare... what a stupid and presumptious comment... I have followed rugby for over 40 years... was introduced to it by my father who is now deceased and it was the highlight of our saturdays during the 5 nations etc (you probably cant even remember when it was 5 nations)... i even remember it in black and white on tv and i find it very objectionable that you presume women are so fickle as to just go to rugby for the good looking guys (these type of guys are very rare in rugby considering they injuries they get and they are not picked for their looks) i am absolutely fuming here... a lot of women know more about rugby than you.... my rant is over now.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭trippyrez

CatFromHue wrote: »

frankly the

I have been attending rugby matches in Ireland at all levels since 1984 and the silence for the kicker is something that we are known for as fans around the world. In the old Lansdowne Rd the noose that one heard during kicks, generally, came from the schoolboys section in the south stand. It is a tradition and one we should be proud of.

Last season when Clermont came to the RDS they cheered and made noise for Leinster kicks. This season they cheers during their own kicks but when Sexton was kicking they kept quiet. They learned from last season that this is how we do things here and they respected it.

Clapping when the oppo scores is also part of rugby and it isn't just here you'll find it. It's proper order, unless the score has come off the back of foul play etc.

Clapping when the oppo scores is also part of rugby and it isn't just here you'll find it. It's proper order, unless the score has come off the back of foul play etc.

I'd disagree with this. I didn't hear anyone clapping when Chris Oti made fools of Ireland in 1988 or when Noddy Lynagh scored against Ireland in the RWC QF in 1991. And that was a classic try very few would have gone for in similar circumstances.
    Its not proper order. Its a myth that people maintain a stiff upper lip and clap opposition tries.
    Maybe in the days of "Ah well, we gave it a go. At least there was passion and pride etc". Those days are long gone. Nowadays its high pressure competition in an aggressive, professional sport. All within reason of course. Its still a game where crowds can mix but pleasantries are for when full-time goes.
    I don't boo kickers but I don't flippin' celebrate them slotting points over.

My two-cents worth anyway. I'll get me coat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

nobody cares if youre quiet during a kick or not. ive been a place kicker for years and i prefer when theres a bit of noise than stone cold silence. but its not my decision if everybody else wants to be quiet or wants to shout its up to them. if somebody gave out to me for shouting during a kick at a rugby match id gladly punch them in the teeth. If you won medals for being quiet during kicks at rugby matches then Munster would have won the Heineken cup every year but unfortunately thats not the way the world works.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,164 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

eastbono wrote: »
    I am quite upset with your comment about women who only go to rugby to see the good looking lads and that women who know about rugby are rare... what a stupid and presumptious comment... I have followed rugby for over 40 years... was introduced to it by my father who is now deceased and it was the highlight of our saturdays during the 5 nations etc (you probably cant even remember when it was 5 nations)... i even remember it in black and white on tv and i find it very objectionable that you presume women are so fickle as to just go to rugby for the good looking guys (these type of guys are very rare in rugby considering they injuries they get and they are not picked for their looks) i am absolutely fuming here... a lot of women know more about rugby than you.... my rant is over now.

As they say the truth hurts, I make no apology for what I said, it's a fact not a myth in what I said.

I did not say every woman and im sure you dont fit this description, but reality is that so many others and its a majority also.

Can I remember the 5 Nations? Ah ya now I was only born in 1983 so maybe I have to blame god or some other creature for not being around during 60's and 70's, but yes I remember crap days of 90's pretty dam well, maybe too well.

As for your last comment, whats that saying "What you say is what you are"...

Now back on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭OldRio

1. Croker is a much larger stadium than the old and new Lansdowne. Your assertion about proximity to the player/pitch being one factor is indeed correct however there is another aspect that will take a while to rectify. A number of people started attending matches in Croker simply because they could get tickets. They didn't have to do much work to get them as there was generally a surplus among the clubs due to the number they were allocated. These people are slowly but surely going to be squeezed out as the IRFU rectify their pricing structure and the people who really want to be there will take up their allocation.

So, are you saying smaller stadium, increased demand and squeezing the customer will give you 'people who really want to be there" or people who can afford to be there.

As they say the truth hurts, I make no apology for what I said, it's a fact not a myth in what I said
    It is not a fact. Its a supposition. A baseless and convenient generalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

roycon wrote: »
    nobody cares if youre quiet during a kick or not. ive been a place kicker for years and i prefer when theres a bit of noise than stone cold silence. but its not my decision if everybody else wants to be quiet or wants to shout its up to them. if somebody gave out to me for shouting during a kick at a rugby match id gladly punch them in the teeth. If you won medals for being quiet during kicks at rugby matches then Munster would have won the Heineken cup every year but unfortunately thats not the way the world works.

Anger management issues??

Advertisement