Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Fans in the World? **Mod Warning. Read OP.**

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

JustinDee wrote: »
    It is not a fact. Its a supposition. A baseless and convenient generalism.

QFT.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It is not a fact. Its a supposition. A baseless and convenient generalism.

No, your wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭whysomoody

I don't actually care what the song is, I'd happily sing I'm a little teapot if I thought it would help the team perform better.

Who cares where the song is "from" or if the fields are from Connacht, can someone from Galway sing it because he is not from Athenry? You could just as easily say its from Ireland...

I'd love a bit of Molly Malone, or the Fields or Ole Ole Ole if it got a bit of atmosphere going!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,753 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

roycon wrote: »
    nobody cares if youre quiet during a kick or not. ive been a place kicker for years and i prefer when theres a bit of noise than stone cold silence. but its not my decision if everybody else wants to be quiet or wants to shout its up to them. if somebody gave out to me for shouting during a kick at a rugby match id gladly punch them in the teeth. If you won medals for being quiet during kicks at rugby matches then Munster would have won the Heineken cup every year but unfortunately thats not the way the world works.

It's good to see people getting into the sportsmanlike spirit of the game isn't it!?
    As they say the truth hurts, I make no apology for what I said, it's a fact not a myth in what I said.

If it's a fact then you should have no problem proving it. I go to the Leinster games with a gang of about 10 people, 4 of which are girls. None of them fall into the generalisation that you are putting forward. In fact of all the girls I know that are into rugby I can only think of 1 that matches your description. So in my experience, which obviously isn't of all female rugby fans like yours must be, the vast majority know the game as well as or better than a lot of male rugby fans.

molloyjh wrote: »
    If it's a fact then you should have no problem proving it. I go to the Leinster games with a gang of about 10 people, 4 of which are girls. None of them fall into the generalisation that you are putting forward. In fact of all the girls I know that are into rugby I can only think of 1 that matches your description. So in my experience, which obviously isn't of all female rugby fans like yours must be, the vast majority know the game as well as or better than a lot of male rugby fans.

I have no problem proving it as I do go to games and from experience, so thank you.

People seem to be mixing up the words "majority" and "all" here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

I have no problem proving it as I do go to games and from experience, so thank you.

People seem to be mixing up the words "majority" and "all" here.

Not as much as you appear to be mixing "fact" and "opinion" to be fair.

GerM wrote: »
    Not as much as you appear to be mixing "fact" and "opinion" to be fair.

:D

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I'd disagree with this. I didn't hear anyone clapping when Chris Oti made fools of Ireland in 1988 or when Noddy Lynagh scored against Ireland in the RWC QF in 1991. And that was a classic try very few would have gone for in similar circumstances.
    Its not proper order. Its a myth that people maintain a stiff upper lip and clap opposition tries.
    Maybe in the days of "Ah well, we gave it a go. At least there was passion and pride etc". Those days are long gone. Nowadays its high pressure competition in an aggressive, professional sport. All within reason of course. Its still a game where crowds can mix but pleasantries are for when full-time goes.
    I don't boo kickers but I don't flippin' celebrate them slotting points over.

My two-cents worth anyway. I'll get me coat...

Was that the Millenium match- Dean richards was making a fool of us as well.
    I think people were simply Stunned when Lynagh scored - Saunders kick to bloody touch :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ladynotout

As a woman who goes to rugby matches I would have to agree that most women who go to games really are more going for the day out and to be seen rather then any interest in the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

ladynotout wrote: »
    As a woman who goes to rugby matches I would have to agree that most women who go to games really are more going for the day out and to be seen rather then any interest in the result.

you are The_Kew_Tour.

Now you are "both" banned

Sockpuppeting is not tolerated

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I have no problem proving it

Go on so.

edit: awww...Ruggie. I was so looking forward to the proof :(

Good craic in here this evening! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

trippyrez wrote: »
    clapping when the oppo scores is also part of rugby and it isn't just here you'll find it. It's proper order, unless the score has come off the back of foul play etc.

I've been attending rugby at all levels since 1970 and I could never get my head around this idea. Never heard too much of that applause either!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I haven't seen it mentioned but to me the lack of terraces is a major key, like minded people can stand together which makes chanting and singing easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭The Rooster

trippyrez wrote: »
    3. The expectation for silence for the kicker is a tradition that should not be changing. It hasn't at provincial level so why should it at international level. If you're at a game and someone is making noise while a kicker is lining up a kick then it is your duty to tell them to shut up. It's what I do.

That's just bull.

Anyone who buys a ticket has a right to sing, boo, cheer, keep quiet as they see fit (barring racism, serious foul/abusive language of course). You've absolutely no right to tell other fans how they should be fans. One of the "great traditions" of Thomond (amongst other grounds) is booing and jeering as loud as possible during opposition lineouts to put the thrower off. Absolutely no difference between that and trying to put a kicker off, if that's what you're into.

Advertisement