Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internet explorer problem

• 14-02-2011 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I have Windows 7 Ultimate running a Dell PC but lately the windows and internet explorer stops and restarts particularly when I try to open documents. Any ideas to fix?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭noshankus

Do you have an anti-virus installed? Is it up to date?

A lot of new computers come with Norton or some such pre-installed anti-virus softwares that only last short while before not updating and essentially becoming useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I'd say the problem is that you are using IE!

Get yourself a competent browser such as FireFox, Google Chrome, or Safari.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Max Power1 wrote: »

+1 but doesn't really address the problem.

As the previous poster suggested update and run an anti virus scan. Just to be on the safe side.

What anti-virus do you have installed? It wouldn't be any harm to run a malewarebytes scan too. (http://www.malwarebytes.org/ download the free version).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭noshankus

Max Power1 wrote: »

We all hate MS, but that probably won't help. The problem does not seem to be IE related:
    frankor wrote: »
    the windows and internet explorer stops and restarts particularly ___when I try to open documents___

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 frankor

Thanks for advice. I have tried Firefox and Chrome but it seems documents are linked to IE which seems imbedded in system.

I have Kaspersky which does not seem to be opening ans currently I am relying on Microsoft Security Essentials which may not be enough I suppose.

• Advertisement

Thanks for advice. I have tried Firefox and Chrome but it seems documents are linked to IE which seems imbedded in system.

I have Kaspersky which does not seem to be opening ans currently I am relying on Microsoft Security Essentials which may not be enough I suppose.

It's best practice not to have more than one anti-virus installed. It could cause a conflict. I've got MSE installed and have had no problems for the past year.

Ok if you want to I'd uninstall Kaspersky. Update MSE and run a scan with that.

Also if you were looking for workarounds for embedded IE docs you can install add ons to chrome and firefox (Think it's called IE Tab). But again, this may not address the root problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 frankor

Ok thanks for that.

Ok thanks for that.

Just reread your comment there. I'd try uninstalling with Revo Uninstaller. This will run a deep scan to remove any\all registry entries associated with the program.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Again the free version will do the trick. And no there's no adware\spyware with that (thank feck!).

Advertisement