Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small surprise Valentines Dinner for Cave-woman

Options
  • 14-02-2011 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭

Fate has smiled upon me for a change, and un-expectantly my salary has come in early. My missus is doing the paleo-diet which means lots of meats fruit and veg and little in the way of grains, rice and potatos.

Instead of taking her out for dinner tonight, I am thinking instead of making a special dinner for her. While I do cook in most nights, I would like some ideas to make tonight 'special'.

I am thinking smoked salmon and asparagus as the starter. So I really need help with the main course, and the dessert. The dessert will be extra difficult as it cannot contain dairy or sugar.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

A really good steak with caprese salad (with a GOOD buffalo mozzerella) and a gratinated veg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

olaola wrote: »
    A really good steak with caprese salad (with a GOOD buffalo mozzerella) and a gratinated veg?

Normally I would say absolutely, but really good steak is very difficult to get here. I might try my luck in a Butcher later.

Any other ideas?

Also, any thoughts for the dessert?

Maybe instead of a dessert, I will have a second 1st course?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

For dessert, you could make "chocolate chantilly," which is very similar to a mousse. Using a nice 70% chocolate, you'd only have the minimum amount of sugar from the chocolate itself. Top off with passionfruit, strawberries, raspberries, etc.

syklops wrote: »
    Normally I would say absolutely, but really good steak is very difficult to get here. I might try my luck in a Butcher later.

You will not go far wrong with the Aldi 'Specially Selected' ribeye. Not sure where you are, but there is a great butcher in Rialto.

You will not go far wrong with the Aldi 'Specially Selected' ribeye. Not sure where you are, but there is a great butcher in Rialto.

I am in the Czech republic. Thats what I meant about good steak being difficult to get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You could go for a fruit ice for dessert. I've heard of one that's just banana, sliced then frozen then whizzed up in the food processor. I believe I've seen Jamie Oliver do similar with frozen mango chunks and honey, which sounds amazing.

syklops wrote: »
    I am in the Czech republic. Thats what I meant about good steak being difficult to get.

Ahhhh, ok. What about stuffed chicken breasts wrapped in bacon/ham/parma ham?

Ahhhh, ok. What about stuffed chicken breasts wrapped in bacon/ham/parma ham?

Nice idea. Stuffed with what do you suggest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Black pudding if you can get it.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Black pudding if you can get it.

Chicken Breasts stuffed with black pudding??? Sounds delish. I think we have a winner!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Nevermind, read your post, no dairy or sugar... eep.

Advertisement