Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internet, firewall & services failing in windows VISTA

• 14-02-2011 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

The general gist of the problem:

On powering up I’m told QuickSet has stopped working.
    Firewall off in Windows Security Center
    When I run services as admin, and try to start this service I get… “ Windows could not start the Windows Firewall service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start”
    No internet access regardless of how I try to connect.
    When I click connect to a network I’m told Windows cannot find any networks
    When I choose Diagnose why, I’m told Diagnostics Policy Service is not running
    When I run services as admin, and try to start this service I get… “Windows could not start the Diag Pol Service on local computer. Error 5: Access is denied”

Ipconfig returns: none of the usual ip addresses etc you’d expect to see on a functioning internet machine.

I get:

“Tunnel adapter LAN *11:
    Media state………… Media Disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : “

And the same for *13,14,15 & 21

Nothing more.

I’ve tried ipconfig /release & renew and get
    “The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for the operation”

I’ve tried netsh winsock reset catalog & in tip reset reset.log to no avail

User reports he tried to connect to a printer and pulled the battery half way through when things appear to have hung. I’ve removed any new software added since this happened yesterday to no avail. (There was no sign of any printer software having been added) There was a net traffic monitoring program which MAY have caused a prob?

I’m fairly new to this repair lark, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.
    :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Download the BitDefender live cd

(iso is here)

http://download.bitdefender.com/rescue_cd/

Burn, boot and run a scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭VirtualWorld

chin_grin wrote: »
    Download the BitDefender live cd

(iso is here)

http://download.bitdefender.com/rescue_cd/

Burn, boot and run a scan.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I made a copy of the bit defender rescue cd.iso to disk, popped it into the other laptop, I can see it... but clicking on it does nothing. Is there a step I'm missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭noshankus

You can follow these steps:

http://kb.bitdefender.com/site/article/627/

My guess is you're not booting from CD in your BIOS? You can change the order at start up (look for the press F8 prompt at the very start of the booting up procedure - might not be F8, but similar)

Here's a good how-to:
    http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/change-boot-order-xp-vista/

noshankus wrote: »
    You can follow these steps:

http://kb.bitdefender.com/site/article/627/

My guess is you're not booting from CD in your BIOS? You can change the order at start up (look for the press F8 prompt at the very start of the booting up procedure - might not be F8, but similar)

Here's a good how-to:
    http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/change-boot-order-xp-vista/

Thanks. F2 to enter setup.

I tried changing the boot order twice now in BIOS settings.. Both times it booted as normal. the second change appeared to confirm that the first one had taken. Third attempt I removed all options bar dvd drive, it said something liike, no bootable drive found and that brought me to a test page. Running that now. Fingers crossed. It doesn't feel like it's a defender test... but I'm happy to roll with it and see what happens. :)

Thanks a mill for the help so far to you both.

No problem, chin_grin deserves all the credit, he recommended it. I have never used it myself personally.

Let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, a little research shows that it's actually a live cd version of Knoppix with an antivirus on it...

Watch this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py9Uk662qQ8

Can't get around url wrapping my youtube tags...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

just a quick question, the bitdefender rescue disk you downloaded, did you just copy it to a disk or did you do as the link suggested?

an .iso needs to be extracted and burned (which the program in the link does for you).

if you simply burned the .iso onto the disk, then it wont work :p

just a quick question, the bitdefender rescue disk you downloaded, did you just copy it to a disk or did you do as the link suggested?

an .iso needs to be extracted and burned (which the program in the link does for you).

if you simply burned the .iso onto the disk, then it wont work :p

Thanks. You're right. That was what I had done. I figured out the error of my ways while watching the youtube link above. I'm now in the process of trying again. Every day's a school day!! :)

Unknown keyword in syslinux.cfg
    Could not find kernel image: linux
    boot:

This is the latest stumbling block before me.... Any ideas anyone? This is what I get when I boot to the rescue disk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Could not find kernel image: linux
    boot:

This is the latest stumbling block before me.... Any ideas anyone? This is what I get when I boot to the rescue disk

What burning software are you using to write the image? ImgBurn will burn an iso in a few clicks.

• Advertisement

CDBurnerXP is the software used. Had no issue with that at all. Worked beautifully. It was in opening the file that I ran into that error message. From online checks it isn't unusual.

In the mean time, I considered a startup repair using the vista installation disk. In doing so I decided to try for a restore point for the hell of it when I saw it there. (I had been told it was turned off when I tried it earlier without install disk). Found 2 restore points and dutifully restored. Running anti virus scans like crazy here now hoping to catch the lil blightor before it takes grip again....

Thanks for all the help though :) Might be back again yet. Any obvious points of action that should be taken now much appreciated.

Just make sure the machine is disconnected from your network while running all your checks. Last thing you want is a virus spreading throughout your network (although if it hasn't happened already, you might be OK - it's just good practice).

Once your anti-virus has run (make sure it's a thorough scan with updated virus definitions - may need internet access to update), search for dodgy applications like limewire or other such software that is not "officially" supported by yourself/company. In the past I've also used Ad-Aware - a free adware and malware remover tool. This may also pick up extra things to remove.

Best of luck! Let us know how you get on. Bet you were relieved when you found the restores :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Thanks. You're right. That was what I had done. I figured out the error of my ways while watching the youtube link above. I'm now in the process of trying again. Every day's a school day!! :)

heh i use to make this mistake sometimes. glad you got that part sorted anyway.

Thanks a mill guys. Had run malware bytes. It came up with a result of three, now removed of course. System has been running well so far. Fingers crossed! And yes, relieved to find restore point!! Was wondering what fool had disabled them as seemed to have been told was the case.

Thanks for the help though. Always good to learn something new.

Advertisement