Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apprentices

• 14-02-2011 1:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

I'm in my 4th year of my apprenticeship and like a lot of apprentices out there the last 2 years have been a real struggle.

I'm currently not working and based in East Cork and am looking to see if there are any Electricians out there taking anyone on at the moment. Even a few days a week would be great.

If you are or know of anyone them please let me know.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

Have you contacted Fas about this? Fas are/were supposed to be responsible for finding work for apprentices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Del007

Fas are supposed to be responsible for a lot of things but aren't of much use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭aflib

Del007 wrote: »
    Fas are supposed to be responsible for a lot of things but aren't of much use

spot on fella

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Wonderwall

There's a new Redundant Apprentice Placement Scheme for 2011 which is meant to make sure you finish your next phase (they pay the employer to take you on). I suggest you ring FAS up and inquire about this.

The TEEU are also trying to place apprentices with prospective employers.

When I needed to get through my next phase FAS found me a placement fairly fast, although I may have just gotten lucky.

Also, I feel your pain, it's a struggle to try and complete this apprenticeship when there's no stability and some apprentices have to constantly jump from one employer to the next..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Wonderwall

Also, if you haven't completed your four years but only have Phase 7 left then FAS can put you into a course (for a few weeks or so, but I am not sure of the exact length) where they test your competency level and then they hand you your cert if you meet the requirements...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭desoc32

I'm having the same problems myself as was let go for 8 months during apprenticship. You have to serve 208 weeks time! I thought it was a standards based apprenticship?! Although i have met the standard set in all 7 phases i must do the 8 months i owe them (now only 14 weeks) and its way over 4.5 years since first registered. Very annoyed at Fas they should be trying to get people off their systems and out looking for work not holding them back in limbo land.
    Problems can be new employer not arsed making the phonecall to register you but doesn't realise (or care) the consequence for you as your apprenticship still on hold.
    I was told by Fas head office to provide wage slips to be considered for time to be given to me.
    Their is a phase 7 course run by Fas for unemployed apprentices but this took over 9 months for mates of mine to even start since end of p6!
    Why can't the brains of the country put all the unemployed apprentices to work rebuilding and upgrading schools,hospitals etc which could also get everyone through their time!!!!

Advertisement