Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New business: clearout.ie

• 14-02-2011 1:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭

This new business opened up this weekend on the Tulla Road, Ennis, beside Four Seasons Fruit & Veg, and I've had a look at their website www.clearout.ie

It doesn't really say much but gives me the impression that the are a version of "cash for gold" but it could also be the crowd who puts stickers through your letterbox looking for used clothing for the fake "charities".

Does anyone know their story?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nick087holly

graflynn wrote: »
    This new business opened up this weekend on the Tulla Road, Ennis, beside Four Seasons Fruit & Veg, and I've had a look at their website www.clearout.ie

It doesn't really say much but gives me the impression that the are a version of "cash for gold" but it could also be the crowd who puts stickers through your letterbox looking for used clothing for the fake "charities".

Does anyone know their story?
    its a company based in tipperary called eco environmental its a recycling company, fully registered,not the sticker people who are going round the estates early in the mornig collecting every bag which is put out and take it 2 one of the shops and gets your money which you would have got if you had taken it in,try and ring one of the numbers on the stickers,clearout has a freephone landline number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

From website:
    We’re happy to accept and pay for:
    Clothing:
    re-usable worn or new clothing, shoes (in pairs), belts, handbags, accessories
    Books, CD’s, DVD’s:
    re-usable condition, in covers, no CD singles please
    Small household items:
    bric-a-brac, small electrical and ornamental items

I wonder is the last poster affiliated to the company???

Im not affiliated with the company,i noticed that when a sticker came thru my door it always had a mobile number which either was cut off or no one answered and no vat number,so when clearout opened a shop local to me i rang the free phone number on the shop window and spoke to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

My oh and myself popped in today... not impressed at all.. Alot of crap for sale. And while we were there, two guys were squaring up to and shouting at each other. we hi-tailed it fairly quick when another guy started getting involved.

you must have been in the wrong shop because clearout dont sell anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

oh sorry,i was in the indoor market near tesco roundabout.

If it doesnt sell anything, how does it make money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 prettygirl

so wats the story u bring ib stuff n they give ya cash? where does it go n more importantly do they give good money??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

We did a big clearout at home in the last few weeks and i had wondered about bringing stuff to this place as we live nearby
    but it all seems kinda dodgy :(

SO I filled my boot and dropped off everything to the Cancer Society shop in Parnell Street where they were more than happy to accept it all

I'd like to think our few bits might help a worthy charity rather than lining an individual's pockets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 breeann

angelfire9 wrote: »
    We did a big clearout at home in the last few weeks and i had wondered about bringing stuff to this place as we live nearby
    but it all seems kinda dodgy :(

SO I filled my boot and dropped off everything to the Cancer Society shop in Parnell Street where they were more than happy to accept it all

I'd like to think our few bits might help a worthy charity rather than lining an individual's pockets!

Angelfire, thank you for that, I was going to bring some stuff to the Tulla road,but I'm going to bring my stuff to the St.V.D.P in Parnell Street a very worthy cause.

its a company based in tipperary called eco environmental its a recycling company, fully registered,not the sticker people who are going round the estates early in the mornig collecting every bag which is put out and take it 2 one of the shops and gets your money which you would have got if you had taken it in,try and ring one of the numbers on the stickers,clearout has a freephone landline number

and is the money good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 dannysgirl

hi, im not affiliated with the business either, but had to check them out for letting purposes and thought myself that it seemed kind of dodgy but they are registered and seem to be totally legit. they recycle all the goods and pay by the weight seemingly. something like €5 for a standard black bag or something like that. The girl said that they will eventually hope to do away with scammers putting bags around let people get some cash for their stuff. i know the charities are a good cause for clothes but damn if id of known about them at my last wardrobe clearing i would have got a few quid for my stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gravityisalie

dannysgirl wrote: »
    hi, im not affiliated with the business either, but had to check them out for letting purposes and thought myself that it seemed kind of dodgy but they are registered and seem to be totally legit. they recycle all the goods and pay by the weight seemingly. something like €5 for a standard black bag or something like that. The girl said that they will eventually hope to do away with scammers putting bags around let people get some cash for their stuff. i know the charities are a good cause for clothes but damn if id of known about them at my last wardrobe clearing i would have got a few quid for my stuff

surely if they recycle the goods they wouldnt have to be i n a re-usable condition as said in anglefires post ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dannysgirl

there website says it does have to be reuusable, like shoes in pairs and unbroken cd's in original cover etc. havent seen one of their places yet but was told this morning that that are like an agent for a big recycling company, they pay you for your stuff and then they get paid by the recycling company.

dannysgirl wrote: »

ah jaysus 5euro, n i was goin to bring all my old designer stuff from my J1, all perfect but not fitting since i'm preggers.. d'oh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

prettygirl wrote: »
    ah jaysus 5euro, n i was goin to bring all my old designer stuff from my J1, all perfect but not fitting since i'm preggers.. d'oh!
    You might be as well off to hold on to them until after your pregnancy or else give them to some worthy charity. Best of luck with you pregnancy by the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Deise Dolly

You only get 50c per kg of clothes so if you have anything expensive or any designer stuff, you'd prob be better off selling them on ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

I usually leave my clear-out at the Somalia place on the quay. I nearly feel like paying whoever does me the big favour of taking all this unwanted stuff of my hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 hgeogheg

went to the one in Mullingar today, got rid of 7 bags of clothes, shoes, towels etc and got E21 for them. Usually give them away for free so was happy out. Motivated me to do a proper clearout. Really easy place to use, just drop in the bags, they weigh them on the scales in front of you and pay you per kilo :) Definitely use them again.

hgeogheg wrote: »
    went to the one in Mullingar today, got rid of 7 bags of clothes, shoes, towels etc and got E21 for them. Usually give them away for free so was happy out. Motivated me to do a proper clearout. Really easy place to use, just drop in the bags, they weigh them on the scales in front of you and pay you per kilo :) Definitely use them again.
    €21 seems very little for seven bags of clothes but if you're happy that is the main thing. I have lots of children's clothes (from my five year old) that are in great condition but I'd prefer to give them to family members, friends or one of the local charity shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭Mucker2020

Any one else got any feedback on this place??Do the clothes have to be reusable aswell???Just wondering because have some old clothes I want to get rid of but do I have to go and wash them again to freshen them its just they have been stored away for quite awhile...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 VelvetLady

I went in there a couple of times they just weigh the bags and i got cash but last few times the girl said she needs to inspect everything and a lot of the items she could not accept like a bit stained baby stuff or something to worn out and i got like only €3 :( also they no longer take towels and sheets etc. Also i felt weird as she put rubber gloves and was diggin and Looking at everything it took like 10 minutes. Did not like this fact and only proves that they sell the stuff afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

Is there a place in ennis that buys cds and dvds. Will a charity shop take thme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

note to mods. does leaving posts like this open for 2 years not lead to problems and is it any benefit to lock them?just curious

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Please use the report post or PM functions if you have a question for the mods, we can't read all the posts that we moderate so can easily miss stuff, for example there has been over 200 posts in the forums I moderate in the past 24 hours, I haven't read all of those.

Bit off topic, but Zombie threads are usually closed cause they may contain information that is now in-correct. There was an issue before with the archive database not liking stuff being taken out of it, but I think that has now been fixed so it's not an issue.

Mods have different ways of dealing with zombie threads, and it'll also depend on the thread, if it's a shill type post, we'll normally delete the post so the thread drops down again, we may also lock the thread to stop spammers re-bouncing it, most users won't notice these. Other threads, like this, which doesn't seem to contain anything untoward or incorrect will be left alone, threads that are bounced by someone asking a question will generally be locked so the poster can see it was locked and might want to start a new thread.

Hope this makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Afollower

VelvetLady wrote: »
    I went in there a couple of times they just weigh the bags and i got cash but last few times the girl said she needs to inspect everything and a lot of the items she could not accept like a bit stained baby stuff or something to worn out and i got like only €3 :( also they no longer take towels and sheets etc. Also i felt weird as she put rubber gloves and was diggin and Looking at everything it took like 10 minutes. Did not like this fact and only proves that they sell the stuff afterwards.

I went to this place once a couple of months ago and was offered €7 for four bags of nearly new clothing which my children had grown out of....I said "thanks but no thanks" and took it to a charity shop instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭snypers12

Anyone no if they still take DVDs an how much they pay for them?

I've never used Clearout.ie myself, I've always preferred to donate children's clothes to charity or give them to family or friends.

Off topic

Last Thursday evening, Primetime broadcast a special report into door to door 'charity' clothing collections (some collections are genuine and others are just scams). They showed footage of gangs robbing clothes from the clothing recycling bins located in shopping centres, near garages/schools. The gangs then ship the stolen clothes to Eastern Europe where they sell them. It's well worth a watch!

The changing face of the country's charity industry, focusing on the clothes recycling business to reveal how criminal gangs are preying on the public's generosity.

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10140851/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Theyve redesigned a lot of clothing bins, I saw a group put a child into the bin, who was passing out all the clothes bags from inside

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Theyve redesigned a lot of clothing bins, I saw a group put a child into the bin, who was passing out all the clothes bags from inside
    Some of the charities made the chutes smaller, reinforced the bins and tried to make them as tamper proof as possible but judging by last Thursday's programme, gangs are still managing to get the clothes, even if it means cutting the bins open or sending children inside them.

I never realised that secondhand clothing could be so valuable, apparently our clothes fetch big money in Eastern Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

<Mod snip> Basically some of these take your clothes that are worth nothing here and send them to Eastern Europe where there worth alot and keep the profit.

Basically they scam off legitimate charities who would be doing the same and send the profits to there own ceo's. Charities like enable ireland actually help people. So when you give outfits like this your clothes, no one gains from this but the shops owners.

Every month a massive lorry comes around and takes the clothes and heads off to the port. Its all legit and its a pity really.

The only way to guarantee that your clothes go to someone actually in need and develop charities in some way is to hand your clothes into a proper enable ireland or SVP shop near you.

Advertisement