Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aran Islands

Options
  • 14-02-2011 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

I know it might be more suitable to post this on the Galway county forum but there is very little traffic on that forum so thought I'd post here instead (mods, please move if you deem it necessary).

I was thinking of moving out to the islands for the summer, the intention being to improve my irish and have some craic. I've been to Inis Mor and Inis Oirr but never to Inis Meain. Which of the islands would people recommend for the purpose of improving Irish and meeting people?

I would guess that Inis Mor gets the most traffic of tourists so socially would be the best, inis oirr would probably be the best for irish? Anyway, suggestions welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

I think you would be able to learn/improve your Irish on either of the islands if you put your mind to it. But in terms of immersing yourself in the culture of the language and the Aran Islands (if there is such a thing), I would say Inis Meain would be the best. It still retains a lot of what the other islands may have lost due to tourism. It would be a lot quieter there in terms of social life though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Agree with previous poster, I'd say live with a family though as it can be hard to immerse onself there. Any more info get onto me, we spend most of our free time out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Another + 1 for Inis Meain for the reasons mentioned. They all have their pluses and minuses. Inis Mór has a lot going on as it's the biggest. Inis Oirr has a great Arts Centre though, and lots of social events there as Gaeilge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Irishmarinelife

Maith thú!

Check out 'Bliain in Inis Oirr' ar TG4 be player, cool programme giving a flavour of life there and some people who've moved there. I wanted to up and go live there after watching.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

dafunk wrote: »
    I know it might be more suitable to post this on the Galway county forum but there is very little traffic on that forum so thought I'd post here instead (mods, please move if you deem it necessary).

I was thinking of moving out to the islands for the summer, the intention being to improve my irish and have some craic. I've been to Inis Mor and Inis Oirr but never to Inis Meain. Which of the islands would people recommend for the purpose of improving Irish and meeting people?

I would guess that Inis Mor gets the most traffic of tourists so socially would be the best, inis oirr would probably be the best for irish? Anyway, suggestions welcomed.

Inis Meain would probably be the best for learning Irish in that you would have the least amount of tourists and distractions there. Both Inis Mor and Inis Oirr get loads of tourists during the Summer and can be quite busy. Be aware though that Inis Meain can be very quiet even during Summers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lezza

i'd actually advise lettermore only a hour from galway city, major irish social life, in the heart of the gaeltacht, and its where des bishop chose

Advertisement