Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sirens on Dublin Road

Options
  • 14-02-2011 1:23pm

Does anyone know what is going on out on the Dublin Road? There have been sirens passing by for the past few minutes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

was wondering meself, seemed to be a lot of them, can't be great news I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Heard them as well no idea whats going on though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

i think a train hit a car - nobody hurt i think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

sgthighway wrote: »
    i think a train hit a car - nobody hurt i think

Did you just make that up?

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Did you just make that up?

No. There was an incident at the crossing in Murrough involving a car and train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Thankfully no one hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

sgthighway wrote: »
    No. There was an incident at the crossing in Murrough involving a car and train.

Murrough? There's no road/rail intersection in Murrough.

Are you talking about out by Gleann na Ri?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

There's a level crossing on the road past Bodkins Bar; it only goes to 1 house AFAIK, and the beach.

kraggy wrote: »

AFAIK its known as Murrough - Gleann na Ri is in what I would class as Murrough

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

kraggy wrote: »

Oh I have to ask, were you in GMIT?

• Advertisement

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/travel_alerts.asp?action=view&news_id=1007
    Bus Transfers operating between Galway and Athenry until further notice. by Corporate Communications

12.50hrs Monday 14th February.

Bus Transfers are in operation between Galway and Athenry until further notice due to an incident on the line at Mourough Level Crossing.

Emergency services are currently at the scene.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

That can't be right. kraggy said there was no level crossing in Murrough ....

Most people would not know its there but it is.

Put this into Google Maps
    53.2715000,-9.00145

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anyone think this will be sorted by Wednesday morning? I need to get the train on Wednesday...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

snubbleste wrote: »
    That can't be right. kraggy said there was no level crossing in Murrough ....

There's a crossing there alright. Two people in their early twenties, walked from the crash, car written off. Very lucky. They were out of towners and didnt know the area. They were down for Valentines weekend. Could have been a lot, lot worse.

Very, very lucky.

Thargor wrote: »
    Anyone think this will be sorted by Wednesday morning? I need to get the train on Wednesday...

Line is clear now.

Good stuff thanks Captain, and nobody getting killed is the icing on the cake I suppose!

Good stuff thanks Captain, and nobody getting killed is the icing on the cake I suppose!

A matter of inches literally. Very lucky to be walking away from it. That usually doesnt happen in these type of incidents.

Isnt it law that there be flashing lights at a crossing? I feel sorry their Valentines was ruined but to be honest you can hardly blame the train in these situations, anyone got a Streetview link of the exact location?

Isnt it law that there be flashing lights at a crossing? I feel sorry their Valentines was ruined but to be honest you can hardly blame the train in these situations, anyone got a Streetview link of the exact location?

No, the use of this type of crossing by road users is in the rules of the road. There are different rules for different types of level crossing afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

This is as close as streetview gets link, the crossing is just around the bend.

The Galway Advertiser has posted pictures on their Facebook page of the accident. Warning, large image

171825_10150103430896941_323864916940_6103182_3374374_o.jpg

175341_10150103429991941_323864916940_6103175_5982641_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Wow!!
    If that couple dont have a story to tell the Grandkids then romance is long dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

http://insideireland.ie/2011/02/15/train-hits-car-at-galway-crossing-8451/

"Thre was only a stop sign" LOL, he didn't even pay attention to that it seems

Advertisement