Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is my house haunted?

Options
  • 14-02-2011 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

My fiance and i just moved into a 100 year old cottage and last night my oh was in already asleep in bed, all the doors, windows were closed no tv was on. I turned off the lights in the sitting room and i swear it sounded like somebody was breathing beside my ear it really freaked me out also tv stations keep changing by themselfs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

I'd say maybe, maybe not. There are rational explanations, but they aren't so obvious as to shoot down the idea of a haunting either. Radio or magnetic interference can do that to a TV (it's a rather cool experiment to run on the unawares actually :)) but the breathing I'm not 100% of. I think there are times when you hear your own breathing and for some reason it sounds out of body; similar to the out-of-body experience phenomenon perhaps? I wouldn't rule out the haunting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Personally, I wouldnt jump to conclusions. If hauntings are real, they are therefore pretty rare so the chances are quite slim that your house is haunted. Still, keep your eyes and ears open and if you do think you may have an issue, theres plenty of groups around Ireland to call upon who could at least help define things that little bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Lizard Queen

Its kinada weird because i love all paranormal stuff and often thought how cool it would be if your house was haunted but it totally scared the piss out of me

maccored wrote: »
    Personally, I wouldnt jump to conclusions. If hauntings are real, they are therefore pretty rare so the chances are quite slim that your house is haunted. Still, keep your eyes and ears open and if you do think you may have an issue, theres plenty of groups around Ireland to call upon who could at least help define things that little bit more.

How exactly do you jump from real to rare in your hypothesis there?

By using the word 'if'? Care to explain your question a bit better?

• Advertisement

Plus, I was making an observation moreso than a hypothesis.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

another row dissagreement already, usual we make it to page 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

you could always get the local parish priest in to bless the house, no need to tell him about your experiences, just tell him you want the house blessed.

By using the word 'if'? Care to explain your question a bit better?

Ok. If ghosts exist, how does that make them rare as you have stated?

johndoe99 wrote: »
    you could always get the local parish priest in to bless the house, no need to tell him about your experiences, just tell him you want the house blessed.

sounds like a good idea, might even work on a psychological level.

• Advertisement

GodlessM wrote: »
    Ok. If ghosts exist, how does that make them rare as you have stated?

mainly because they arent very common otherwise we'd have ****loads of video and audio? Isnt that a tad bit fecken obvious? Plus, thats a pretty big 'if' as well.

Riamfada wrote: »
    sounds like a good idea, might even work on a psychological level.

its a bit of a thing to do though is it not, what with just the one incident? Rather than take a bit of time to suss it out, run straight for a priest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 frandman

Is it one of the corduff cottages? lived in one of those before,, lasted 2 days and got the fcuk outa there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Lizard Queen

Nope a cottage in leixlip

Nope a cottage in leixlip

I like Leixlip, want some Paranormal Investigators to come and check it out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 clare1

Hi,

I had some odd things happen to me. You might be a bit psychic yourself so you would be sensitive to things around you. I remember being in bed and I could feel a static electicity hovering just over my head i could hear it slightly. Other things have happened to me in different houses etc.

Ye your house could be haunted alright. Go to the library and see what or if there are any books on the paranormal. A Priest may be able to help you.

Good luck

or an imaam

mainly because they arent very common otherwise we'd have ****loads of video and audio? Isnt that a tad bit fecken obvious? Plus, thats a pretty big 'if' as well.

Not necessarily. True it's a big if, but if ghosts are real, who's to say they'd make themselves known so often? They could exist but not manifest often. But I'll give it to you, your original post did in fact say hauntings would be rare and not ghosts.
    or an imaam

Glad to see somebody finally points out that there isn't only one religion in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

or an imaam

Exactly. Not only do people believe that ghosts exist, and that they're present in the house, but then they assume that a Catholic priest has the power to cast the ghost out :confused: Why a Catholic one rather than an imaam or a rabbi? Do they all have the power? Do the claims of the religion not have to be true for the blessing to work? Or do ghosts just sh*t a break and run away if they see some bloke walking around the house throwing water everywhere?

I swear, 'the Exorcist' has alot to answer for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I don't get the discrepancy with religion. It's Ireland, it's a pretty safe bet that most of the religious in the country are Catholic, therefore they'd only believe that a Catholic priest could bless the house/exorcise ghosts or whatever. Thus, it's fair enough to suggest a priest without having everyone coming out of the woodwork saying "but that's not the only religion!"

What's the imaam/rabbi stuff got to do with anything? How many imaams and rabbis are in Ireland compared to priests? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If you want to argue about religion do it in the religious forums.

The religious aspect is only relevant if the op says they themselves are relgious. So far, they havent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

liah wrote: »
    I don't get the discrepancy with religion. It's Ireland, it's a pretty safe bet that most of the religious in the country are Catholic, therefore they'd only believe that a Catholic priest could bless the house/exorcise ghosts or whatever. Thus, it's fair enough to suggest a priest without having everyone coming out of the woodwork saying "but that's not the only religion!"

What's the imaam/rabbi stuff got to do with anything? How many imaams and rabbis are in Ireland compared to priests? :confused:
    The number of rabbis/imaams in the country has no bearing on the truth of whether they have the power to exorcise spirits or not. The reason it's relevant is because you don't have to belong to any particular denomination in order to believe in ghosts, you can just believe in a 'spirit'/soul of sorts. So casually assuming that invoking Jesus is the only way to get rid of the ghosts is a whole new layer of assumption on top of the ghost stuff.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Dave! wrote: »
    The number of rabbis/imaams in the country has no bearing on the truth of whether they have the power to exorcise spirits or not. The reason it's relevant is because you don't have to belong to any particular denomination in order to believe in ghosts, you can just believe in a 'spirit'/soul of sorts. So casually assuming that invoking Jesus is the only way to get rid of the ghosts is a whole new layer of assumption on top of the ghost stuff.
    Which is very interesting and the subject of another thread. Which I can split it to if you guys want, but otherwise, please dont derail this one with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭paranormal

johndoe99 wrote: »

i think getting your local parish priest in to bless the house is your best bet at this time.if there is something going on in your house a blessing might sort it out for you.and if there is nothing going on it will do no harm .i advised people to do this in the past and they have had no trouble since.

Advertisement