Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed to put music on a laptop-Cork

Options
  • 14-02-2011 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi all, i'm a dinosaur living in Cork city with music withdrawal!

Can anybody put a list of songs on my laptop?

There are hundreds of tunes and artists I would like to have again, but i'm not good with computers when it comes to doing that kinda stuff...so if you are, and have time, i'd like to hear from you.

In exchange I will create a painting for you to hang in your place, just tell me your favourite colours.

Kathryn

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Katsong wrote: »
    Hi all, i'm a dinosaur living in Cork city with music withdrawal!

Can anybody put a list of songs on my laptop?

There are hundreds of tunes and artists I would like to have again, but i'm not good with computers when it comes to doing that kinda stuff...so if you are, and have time, i'd like to hear from you.

In exchange I will create a painting for you to hang in your place, just tell me your favourite colours.

Kathryn

Have you ever used youtube? Set up an account, search for your favourite songs and add them to your favourites. You then go into your favourites and select play all. This will play one after the other.

As far as I know this is a legal alternative to copying someones music library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Katsong

Thanks for your reply. Yes I have used Youtube.
    But I want to put music permanently onto my laptop to access anywhere, anytime, without internet.
    K

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Clanket wrote: »
    As far as I know this is a legal alternative to copying someones music library.
    There's nothing illegal about copying someone's music library. It's the contents of that music library that may have copyright issues.

Katsong you could take a look at Jamendo. You don't say what kind of music you're in to but check their tags section, I'm sure you'll find something interesting. Most importantly, all the music featured on the site is free and legal for personal use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Malice wrote: »
    There's nothing illegal about copying someone's music library. It's the contents of that music library that may have copyright issues.

Yep I was unsure of it. So who do you think would have the copyright issues? The person copying the files or the person providing the copies?

Seems logical to me that it would be the person providing the copies.

I'm not going to get into a debate over copyright, I'm just pointing out that if someone's music collection consists of music licensed like the music available on Jamendo then there is no copyright issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Go to a record store....

They'll help you find music based on what you like, they've listening posts too, so you can "try before you buy" and a lot of the stock in indie stores is second hand (i.e discount)

You can copy the CD's to your laptop and - space permitting - rip them at a high bit-rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

This is very easy Katsong

How much music are we talking about? how much room is on your computer?

Anyway,google Itunes,download it......after that,slip a cd into your computer,it will put it on for you(after you follow a few simple instructions)and there you go....repeat

If you have loads of music you might need an external hard drive

Edit:i see you listed "hundreds of artists",hmmm......could mean an external hard drive(if you mean it literally at least)what kind of music do you want on it anyway? Cork City Library has a great selection of older stuff,quite a bit of new too

Thanks Joe.
    The library is a great place, never event thought of that and I go regulary! There's no cd drive on the laptop but i'll try using a pen drive, and yes an external hard drive would be good to get sometime too.
    Ben Harper, Bjork, djeme drumming rhythmns, reggae, soul, meditation tracks, there's loads of music I like.
    Thanks again for the advice,
    Kathryn.

Great, thanks Malice.
    Kathryn.

Thanks for your reply.
    Kathryn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

If you don't have a cd drive in your laptop, you'll need a second computer. Could be painstakingly time consuming to burn cds onto a computer and transfer them by pen drive on to your laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

If you have good reliable internet access, go to www.grooveshark.com (internet radio) it's almost as good as having the music stored on your PC.

JustinOval wrote: »
    If you have good reliable internet access, go to www.grooveshark.com (internet radio) it's almost as good as having the music stored on your PC.
    Except for the fact that the music isn't stored on the PC and therefore can't be copied, moved, re-labelled, played with in any way (e.g. to sample part of it) and can't be listened to without Internet access. Don't get me wrong, Grooveshark is handy but I don't think it's quite what the OP is looking for in this case.

Malice wrote: »
    Except for the fact that the music isn't stored on the PC and therefore can't be copied, moved, re-labelled, played with in any way (e.g. to sample part of it) and can't be listened to without Internet access. Don't get me wrong, Grooveshark is handy but I don't think it's quite what the OP is looking for in this case.

Granted, but free music is what the OP wants, there has to be some compromise.

JustinOval wrote: »
    Granted, but free music is what the OP wants, there has to be some compromise.
    Compromise in what way?

Advertisement