Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Chance of Possible Northern Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

slimboyfat wrote: »
    What are the chances?? :)

Active sunspot 1401 erupted today, Jan. 19th, between 15:15 and 16:30 UT. The long-duration blast produced an M3-class solar flare and a CME that appears to be heading toward Earth

Analysts at the Goddard Space Weather Lab confirm that the CME is heading for Earth, and they say strong geomagnetic storms are possible when the cloud arrives during the late hours of Jan. 21st.

http://www.spaceweather.com/

There's a good chance if the weather is clear. The "storm" is predicted to reach mid latitudes so should at least reach a KP5 value. Keep an eye on the various websites such as spaceweather.com etc. Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭teddansonswig

hey Donegalers
    think a gang of us are headed up to see the northern lights this weekend!
    any suggestions of a good viewing spots?
    never been up that way, cannot wait! and we get to have a look around on sunday in daylight!

ideally a high point with views out to the sea

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

Read this first, take from http://www.nightskyhunter.com/Sky%20Events%20Now.html

It's a little early yet to give a specific forecast for N. Ireland on both Sat and Sun night however what is clear is that it will be an unsettled affair with Atlantic dominated weather action. During the day and evening of both Sat and Sun there will be a mix of Wintry showers of rain, sleet, and hail with blustery winds with the greatest amount of showers in the N and NW of the country, it will be a matter of dodging these showers and taking advantage of the clear gaps between clouds to spot any aurora. To complicate matters further frontal systems will be moving across the country later on both nights bringing significant cloud and rain and just how much cloud will be ahead of these systems is impossible to say yet, however on the whole it will be a battle with narrow windows or broken windows of watching time so it will simply come down to luck. Inland areas may fair a better chance away from coasts during the evening hours where there could be a greater chance of clear sky. The good news is that the sky will be very dark with no serious moonlight to contend with so the only handicap will be the weather and the time of the CME impact. I wish you all the very best of luck and clear skies!

You are not guranteed to see the Northern Lights but if you make the trip get a spot that will be sheltered from the wind and rain and clear from light pollution.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭teddansonswig

thanks very much lads,
    were all irish, and understand the cloudy risk!
    but were all dubs, and dont know the local geography/make out spots!
    was more looking for a good spot to park up for the night
    cheers and wish us luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

The best place to park during the night is the public car park at Banbas Crown, or you could try the Five Fingers strand, turn left at the lagg church drive down the lane to the beach, nice views out to sea, if you want places to stay try Docs pub or the white strand B&B

Enjoy and hope ya get a view of the lights

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I've heard there's quite a few people gathered up at the Pollen Beach in Ballyliffen. I had a look outside there now...very cloudy.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Well according to spaceweather its only a Kp2 at the moment so no chance of seeing them if it doesn't increase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Is there anywhere around
    tranalor to See it? Heading up next week for a few days.

Current short term forecast is extreme+, bloody typical :(

Lets just hope that it stay like that till after dark and we get a break in the clouds.

• Advertisement

check out Alaska at the moment. Beautiful
    20120122030400_PFRR_M.jpg

Apparently the northern lights are out tonight - Ballyliffen and Malin Head are meant to be good spots.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

have they been spotted already tonight? I just checked and there is a kind of a glow towards the northern horizon, Im on height so will get a good view if it stays clear, Twin Towns area. I have seen them twice before, Letterkenny in 1991 and Donegal Town in 96

That glow is it! Take a photo on a long exposure - 15 seconds is all you need. It'll come out. I'm uploading photos now :D

IMG_5098.jpg

IMG_5101.jpg

IMG_5105.jpg

IMG_5108.jpg

IMG_5112.jpg

IMG_5115.jpg

The first four are from the Pollen Beach, Ballyliffen and the last two are from just outside Buncrana :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Fear_an_tarbh

Awesome pics Penfailed, saw a green hue coming from behind cloud cover at Mountain Top in Letterkenny 15 minutes ago, not spectacular but cool to see

Awesome pics Penfailed

Could've done with a steadier hand! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Daniel O Donnel

Saw some colours high up in the sky earlier on around half eight.
    After that there was only a nice glow on the horizon which is now gone as well. Was nice to see anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Daniel O Donnel

great display on now !!!!!

Just back from viewing at Horn Head.
    6745934931_2b9cd08ac7_z.jpg

6745940257_581f295867_z.jpg

6745945767_77e30c72a4_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Just in the door myself, went to Grianan but the light of Burnfoot / Buncranna effected getting a proper view, so went to Ballyliffin. Seems I'd missed the best of it and it was really cloudy then but heres a few of my photos anyway :) .....

6746576529_ec7651f699_b.jpg

6746575485_4bb3bc7462_b.jpg

6746574131_488333eac2_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

oh son of a ......

anyone know if this is gonna be as good tonight?

danniemcq wrote: »
    oh son of a ......

anyone know if this is gonna be as good tonight?

Kp index is back down to 2 http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast, so not looking good but there may be another chance to see them later this week as there was 'ALMOST-X FLARE AND CME' from here http://www.spaceweather.com/ , not sure what that means as yet but I'm sure muckisk will come along soon and tell us. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

There is a place up above 5 finger strand, not so easy to get to but you can pm me an i'll try a description.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭CiaranMcDCFC

Did anyone see the lights over the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,081 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Did anyone see the lights over the weekend?
    Yup! - See here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

Homer, must have been you I met at Pollen beach last night taking pics. Pity that the cloud cover spoiled it a bit. Great photos.

James

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭nikinova

muckish wrote: »
    Just back from viewing at Horn Head.
    6745934931_2b9cd08ac7_z.jpg

6745940257_581f295867_z.jpg

6745945767_77e30c72a4_z.jpg

they are amazing pics:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭DMG_49

Anyone know if this will be on tomorrow night at malin head?

Or anywhere else?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

DMG_49 wrote: »
    Anyone know if this will be on tomorrow night at malin head?

Or anywhere else?

How far is this from ballybofey

Advertisement