Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Chance of Possible Northern Lights

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

Yeah the KP level is plummeting :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Was out myself and seen sweet FA :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Went out again between 9.00 and 11.00 pm last night and also seen sweet f all!
    Also clouds cleared away for a short while.

but looking at a kp index chart of yesterday which shows activity levels it plumeted at that exact time i went out :mad:

Kp.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

What are the chances this evening to see the northern lights from either the west or north of Dublin ?

I think the amount of artificial light around Dublin means you are unlikely to see anything even if they were visible so far south.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

N.lights were back last night according to rte news.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Northern Lights seen from Kerry two nights ago according to this

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Went out again between 9.00 and 11.00 pm last night and also seen sweet f all!
    Also clouds cleared away for a short while.

but looking at a kp index chart of yesterday which shows activity levels it plumeted at that exact time i went out :mad:

It's not all about the KP index. Don't get hung up on the value of the KP. If it's high then there's a good possibility of an aurora yes, but the recent aurorae have been visible at KP3-4. The key is the IMF value. If it's negative then it allows the solar wind to stream innto the atmosphere and energise the electrons etc. So if there's a strongly negative IMF and a high solar wind speed then the chance are quite high for an aurora visible over Donegal. The indicators that say "% chance of aurora at mid latitudes" or flash amber/red etc don't take account of these variables.

Timelapse from 23rd @ Horn Head

Timelapse from 24th @ Fanad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

muckish wrote: »
    It's not all about the KP index. Don't get hung up on the value of the KP. If it's high then there's a good possibility of an aurora yes, but the recent aurorae have been visible at KP3-4. The key is the IMF value. If it's negative then it allows the solar wind to stream innto the atmosphere and energise the electrons etc. So if there's a strongly negative IMF and a high solar wind speed then the chance are quite high for an aurora visible over Donegal. The indicators that say "% chance of aurora at mid latitudes" or flash amber/red etc don't take account of these variables.

Is there a good site that can predict what these IMF values are going to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

can anyone link a distant donegalman to some high-res photos from the past few nights?

Need a new background to make me homesick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,081 ✭✭✭✭muffler

retalivity wrote: »
    Need a new background to make me homesick
    This should do the trick so

1198853_d29aa2b5.jpg

Is there a good site that can predict what these IMF values are going to be?
    They don't predict the IMF but give the current value. You can see the trend on graphs. spaceweatherlive.com is particularily good.

Should be another chance to see them over the next few night's, weather permitting ;)
    NORTHERN LIGHTS UPDATE INCOMING CME 8/5/12

Sunspot AR1471 erupted on May 7th, producing an M1-class solar flare and an Earth-directed coronal mass ejection (CME). According to a forecast track prepared by analysts at the Goddard Space Weather lab, the cloud will reach Earth on May 9th at 13:40 UT (+/- 7 hours)

UT is universal time, the same is GMT isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭allquestions

UT = GMT but don't forget we're in summer time now, so we're GMT+1

Chances are very good of catching a glimpse tonight it seem's.

Ovation_Europe.png

Praying for some cloud to cover the moon side of the sky later on, looking brilliant for viewing otherwise....

Ovation_Europe.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Moon isn't very big tonight anyway is it? Heading north once it gets dark, see what can be seen from Malin or so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

That map/chart is the same as the one above it, is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭teddansonswig

me thinks the web page is updated and they are using the same link :)

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

Did i hear the lights are active again?

• Advertisement
Advertisement