Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Micheal Martin Chinese Gaffe

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Einhard wrote: »
    It's not even inappropriate. If I were imitating an American, I'd probably put on an American accent. Same with a Cork person, or a French person. Would that be inappropriate too?
    So if Inda Kinny was quoting something that Barack Obama said, it wouldn't be inappopriate to say it in a cartoon American accident? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Listen if he done a English accent or American or god forbid a Australian one when talking about any of the above country's it would be totally out of place and unacceptable from a WANNA be states man ,

in fairness WHO THE F**K does chinese accents in public anymore let alone when being recorded for national media in the middle of a election campaign is a plank and needs to be restrained in a dark basement and not let out

just goes to show FF aint changed one bit :D and this gimp was trying to drum up business abroad ???? no wonder we are f*****D

and once again the irish peoples name gets dragged into the mud once again by FF

i would say meehall is so so srry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

It's not even inappropriate. If I were imitating an American, I'd probably put on an American accent. Same with a Cork person, or a French person. Would that be inappropriate too?

Inappropriate/silly/etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

It's a non event. /thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

stimpson wrote: »
    The Chinese - a great bunch of lads.

Did he mention Ming the Merciless at all?

Sure hes not in Fianna Fail...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭stuckin

Michael Martin: Welcome to the China club! A ching-a chang chang! A chang-a chong chong chang!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

People are forgetting that this is all berties fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Why dis Bertwies faa?

Wa di Bertwie du?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

I agree. Going forward we need to look at this from the grassroots level on the ground in the current economic climate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Why dis Bertwies faa?

Wa di Bertwie du?

The money was only resting in his account.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Debthree

panda.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

If a british politician mimiced the Irish accent we'd be ragin.

Where as I don't think the Chinese give a fryin f*ck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

What a bunch of drama queens.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭stuckin

If you really want your children to learn from an early age, you need to read to them and supply the buggers with as much human-on-human interaction as possible, not park their adorable little butts in front of the ****ing television. TV programs and Infant Education videos use a series of rapidly changing scenes and constantly bombard your kids with new words. With time, their itsy bitsy minds start to filter out most of the information just to help manage the constant barrage, and voila! The kids develop shorter attention spans, and eventually the food service industry claims another life.

Insightful, but how does that fit in with the Michael Martin bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

He's got a gaff in China now?!....bloody fianna fail....developers...houses....chicken balls...rabble rabble...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

If you really want your children to learn from an early age, you need to read to them and supply the buggers with as much human-on-human interaction as possible, not park their adorable little butts in front of the ****ing television. TV programs and Infant Education videos use a series of rapidly changing scenes and constantly bombard your kids with new words. With time, their itsy bitsy minds start to filter out most of the information just to help manage the constant barrage, and voila! The kids develop shorter attention spans, and eventually the food service industry claims another life.

Hmm...are you gonna just post this in eeeevery thread?

Mod to aisle 2, mod to aisle 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

Its not great behaviour or an example being set by someone vying for the leadership of this country.

If Ireland is to be helped we are certainly making it hard for ourselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Really disappointed by this, after all the attention I was expecting something substantial

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Racist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gif, let run for a few seconds

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

its not the chinese, its the greeks he's after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Load of fuss over nothing. If he had put on an american or english accent, no one would have said anything. Can't believe people are getting worked up over this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

TheZohan wrote: »
    Non-story really, and I've no time for Enda Kenny.

Agreed, can someone please tell me what the issue is here? I've no time for Fianna Fail, but for fcuks sake this is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Anyone else think that this thread was about him buying property in Shanghai?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 clare1

How embarassing was that today!! Fianna Fail are un-real, what must we look like to the rest of the world when our previous Minister for Foreign Affairs insults China :eek:

Well Micheal, your slideshow was a big pile of crap! But the free drink. much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Debthree

Unless you think there's something horrendously inappropriate about the Chinese accent itself, I fail to see what the fuss is about.

Are you serious? So from your comment I take it you feel Micheal Martin did a perfect Chinese accent then yeah? Jesus. The point is it was immature and downright inappropriate for him to do the accent *at all* and to use bad grammar whilst depicting a Chinese person ("you Irish very good at software"). He could have just told his damn story instead of doing an appalling imitation of a Chinese person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

He should try putting on a cork accent he might get a few votes

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

What are people thinking, of course it's a gaffe. Not exactly the most racist thing I've ever heard, but certainly stupid and insensitive.
    Imagine if during the peace process Tony Blair said

"I think we've made great progress in Northern Ireland, I was talking to Mr Ahern this morning and he said
    'Aye Soir, top o the moirnin to ya, sure its a ghreat daiy to be makin peas n Northern Oirlind'"
    :D

Imagine the uproar in the UK and in Ireland.
    How could this not be a gaffe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Thousands struggling with mortgages here and Martin's got a gaff in China?
    Sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

Even though I can't stand the mong or his party, it's an non issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

Debthree wrote: »
    The point is it was immature and downright inappropriate for him to do the accent *at all* and to use bad grammar whilst depicting a Chinese person ("you Irish very good at software"). He could have just told his damn story instead of doing an appalling imitation of a Chinese person.

Nail and head have firmly been hit here. It shows his lack of maturity and judgement, regardless of whether it actually offended anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

i don't understand why this sort of racism is being allowed ???

for anyone else this would stir up a hell of a lot more trouble...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

So here we go,another having to apologise over an extremely harmless comment which has now been twisted into being a racist comment!

What is wrong with Irish Society?,have our people,and our media lost all remaining sense of humour they may have once had?.

If this is what modern Ireland is going to be like I am not sure to many will want to be part of it,why must our people have to answer for having a sense of humour?,it is a good job some people don't go to comedy gigs/stand ups,half of our best comedians would be done for racism.

I agree that Yes we should respect every race of people,I absolutely agree with that,however us Irish have been joked about in all 4 corners of the globe & yet we are used to it and most of the time we don't blink an eye to it!,however if we hear an Irish person make a tiny,harmless remark it is then twisted into to been a racist comment!?

I believe that if you go to a country to work that you should not only know how to speak their language,but also know what to expect culture wise & learn how to have a laugh,the same goes for us Irish!;):p

Michael Martin has done nothing wrong and need not apologise,I am however sorry for the people complaining.

What do you guy's think,should he have to apologise?

Another thing is Chinese should be a Leaving cert subject,China has one of the worlds fastest growing economies and having their language could be of benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Should have said "Aaah, me so solly" ^_^

Should have said "Aaah, me so solly" ^_^

careful now :p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I don't think he should but an election is looming and he needs votes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I shared a house with an asian couple once (Chinese guy / Japanese girl). The Chinese guy was an utter dickhead while the Japanese girl was extremely polite.............and hot!

Chinese guy's name was Thomas until when he moved out and he told me his Chinese name................Ping Pong............probably not how you spell it but I laughed when he told me, he even told me to think of "Ping Pong game" to remember his name :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just as well he did, is anyone watching The Chinese Are Coming on BBC2? They are the future and we don't want to get on their bad side.

Minstrel27 wrote: »

Yeah that's true,although some years ago he wouldn't have needed an apology to win over some votes,& that his effort in trying out a new language would have been very much appreciated..:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

If it was an American accent would there have been such a big deal?

There's a million and one reasons to criticise FF, this is the least of them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Minstrel27 wrote: »

Them Chinese birds give me an election too.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I shared a house with an asian couple once (Chinese guy / Japanese girl). The Chinese guy was an utter dickhead while the Japanese girl was extremely polite.............and hot!

Chinese guy's name was Thomas until when he moved out and he told me his Chinese name................Ping Pong............probably not how you spell it but I laughed when he told me, he even told me to think of "Ping Pong game" to remember his name :pac:

haha that's brilliant,good man Ping-pong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

BaZmO* wrote: »
    If it was an American accent would there have been such a big deal?

There's a million and one reasons to criticise FF, this is the least of them.

One of the girls who asked a question during the debate last night was putting on an American accent. We should complain about her as well.

One of the girls who asked a question during the debate last night was putting on an American accent. We should complain about her as well.

I suspect one of her parents was American.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

One more small victory for the massed forces of idiocy.

/even if he is an ah-so.

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    One more small victory for the massed forces of idiocy.

/even if he is an ah-so.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I suspect one of her parents was American.

Or she was from D4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

A$$hole.

I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

That's me told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

She was reasonably attractive

• Advertisement
Advertisement