Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

682 vs 686

Options
  • 14-02-2011 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

just wondering whats the difference between a beretta 682 sporter and a 686 sporter, a guy that was out hunting with us yesterday is selling his beretta 682, its a few years old but he assured me its spotless and that it has been barely used in the last few years as he prefers his ultralight(which i must say is amazing, it was my 1st time handling one but out of my price range) and he gave up shooting clays for which he bought the gun, my father has a 686 sporter and i love it and shoot better with it than my own gun so with the exception of cosmetic differences would they handle much the same or whats the difference,
    the reason i ask is he's selling it with a hard case and chokes for 1000, even though i would be using it as a game gun, the extra weight of a sporter doesnt put me off as i never found my fathers 686 too heavy

all help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

I can't help with the comparison, but I use me 682 sporter for game first and clays second. The extra weight doesn't put me off either.

That's an excellent price- I would snap it up! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

ya i'm pushing hard to get one of my friends to buy my BSA of me so i can offer to buy the beretta before someone else gets it, i have to sell my gun 1st as we'd have to put an alarm in the house if we get another gun:(

ormondprop wrote: »
    ya i'm pushing hard to get one of my friends to buy my BSA of me so i can offer to buy the beretta before someone else gets it, i have to sell my gun 1st as we'd have to put an alarm in the house if we get another gun:(

I'm delighted we dont have that alarm rule in the 6 counties!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hrcbob

If its just the security thing you could always drop your own gun into the local dealers while you wait to sell it and it will get a better chance of being snapped up there too..

hrcbob wrote: »
    If its just the security thing you could always drop your own gun into the local dealers while you wait to sell it and it will get a better chance of being snapped up there too..
    i could do with the money aswell to go towards it so want to sell it

but back to my main reason for this thread, can anybody tell me what the differences are between the 686 and 682

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

4 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Ormond

The 682 is a clays gun. Beefier action,adjustable trigger for LOP and it weighs about 8 lbs depending on barrel length. There are some cosmetic diff. as well.
    The 686 is primarily a field gun.
    The action of the 682 is mechanically identical to that of the 686.

Ormond

The 682 is a clays gun. Beefier action,adjustable trigger for LOP and it weighs about 8 lbs depending on barrel length. There are some cosmetic diff. as well.
    The 686 is primarily a field gun.
    The action of the 682 is mechanically identical to that of the 686.

thanks double barrel, thats the sort of info i wanted, as i havent handles the gun yet, i knew it would be heavier and swing a bit more alright as it has 30" barrels and my fathers has 28"
    i didnt know the action was bigger aswell
    i never used a 30" gun, how are they suited for game

thanks double barrel, thats the sort of info i wanted, as i havent handles the gun yet, i knew it would be heavier and swing a bit more alright as it has 30" barrels and my fathers has 28"
    i didnt know the action was bigger aswell
    i never used a 30" gun, how are they suited for game

Mine has 30" barrels. They aren't as fast handling but they are steadier on crossing or far birds. Take the gun out a couple of times before you buy and see how it fits you, you'll know yourself whether it's the gun for you.
    I must have mounted mine 100 times in the shop before I bought it!

OP
    + One on GM's post.

Let me answer with a question, what are your stats?
    Unless you are shooting very heavy cover, it should not be a hindrance. You will adjust quickly.

I am 6'-2", 37" sleeve & 16.5 stone. I shoot 25, 28 & 30" game guns and like long barrels, 30 - 34" for wildfowl and targets, the short barrels feel whippy on long shots.

• Advertisement

i'm 6ft and 16.5 stone prop forward, dont know how long my arms are, i was meant to be goin out after foxes this sunday so i was going to get him to bring it so i could try it out for the day but i have a rugby match now so cant go, i should know straight away from handling it whether it feels anything like my fathers, i can look at an object in the distance close my eyes, mount his beretta 686 and it'll be pointed straight at the target when i open them again, never happens with my own gun, i did a fair bit of googling one of the nights trying to find info on my fathers and his, its a 686 gold e sporter and from what i found there is only a few ounces in the differance weight wise but i presume his will be a little more top heavy due to longer barrel

Ormond,

I do not think the gun's weight makes much difference to either of us. :D:D
    It is much more about gun fit for us. Long stocks, drop (LOP DAC & DAH) and cast are what I look at.

BTW They were always trying to get me to play at forward but I would not have any of it, @ 14+ stone & 200 meter speed well it was the wing for me. ;)

the only reason i was worrying about weight is that i'm not built for soft ground as it is and i dont want to be weighed down by a heavy gun aswell, sure i'd destroy every field i step foot in:D

i'm 6ft and 16.5 stone prop forward, dont know how long my arms are, i was meant to be goin out after foxes this sunday so i was going to get him to bring it so i could try it out for the day but i have a rugby match now so cant go, i should know straight away from handling it whether it feels anything like my fathers, i can look at an object in the distance close my eyes, mount his beretta 686 and it'll be pointed straight at the target when i open them again, never happens with my own gun, i did a fair bit of googling one of the nights trying to find info on my fathers and his, its a 686 gold e sporter and from what i found there is only a few ounces in the differance weight wise but i presume his will be a little more top heavy due to longer barrel

Weight makes no difference if you're that size. I'm 6'3' and 16st so we aren't far off each other. Mine is also a Gold e Sporter. With the extended chokes, ventilated barrels and laser chequering these are making about €1800 second hand!

ya to be honest i'm not worried about weight as long as it fits me, his one is the older model, so has normal chequering and i think it might just be the normal chokes aswell, but still at a grand its a bargain, with full set of chokes and hard case

Advertisement