Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fake Tan- What's The Deal?

• 14-02-2011 3:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I know this has been going on for quite some time now, but I'm noticing more and more girls who's skin colour is horribly orangey due to fake tan. Walking through town on a weekend night looks like walking through the set for a sci fi movie, there's that many unnatuarlly coloured chicks.

So the question to the girls is simply- Why?
    And to the guys- Do you find this attractive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Now many women are already reading this and thinking "yeah but it looks good on me tho."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Well it's like having a real tan, but it's fake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

bonerm wrote: »
    Now many women are already reading this and thinking "yeah but it looks good on me tho."

I'd say they think "it looks better on me than the rest of them".

i dont get it either, wouldnt catch that stuff near me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's a combination of peer pressure and fashion. If a woman is going to a gig like a disco or an adult event where people will be dressed up like a dinner dance or corporate event, she knows that nowadays pretty much every woman aged 14-39 and beyond will have a fake tan so the pressure is enormous, otherwise relative to the other women she will look she's back from six months living in a cave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i think its funny lookin.
    especially when they do it so that their hands look like they have been covered in shit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I hate the stuff! ick!

I like being pale :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

FatherLen wrote: »
    especially when they do it so that their hands look like they have been covered in shit.

It certainly does give a whole new meaning to the phrase getting sh1tfaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Fake tan can be good, healthy looking if applied properly.

Just saying girls.

Guys fake tan is a big No No. I prefer my men pasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

coylemj wrote: »
    It's a combination of peer pressure and fashion. If a woman is going to a gig like a disco or an adult event where people will be dressed up like a dinner dance or corporate event, she knows that nowadays pretty much every woman aged 14-39 and beyond will have a fake tan so the pressure is enormous, otherwise relative to the other women she will look she's back from six months living in a cave.

... But they do realise they look like aliens, right?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

Hate the stuff, hate the stuff, hate the stuff!!!

I have seen manys the pretty Irish girl completely wreck herself with fake tan.

But then again, I'm an olive-skinned Irish woman so maybe I just don't get it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I think I've worn fake tan about twice in my life, once when I got it done professionally which was nice and the second time I only put it on my legs! (Sally Hansen :D)

I'm not a big fan of it, I'm very self conscience when I have it on because I'm fairly pale naturally. I always feel orange :rolleyes:

I have seen manys the pretty Irish girl completely wreck herself with fake tan.

Have to agree with that. Can't count the amount of girls I seen and thought to myself "Wow, she'd be so hot if she wasn't a complete orange."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭billlumbergh

Man each to their own ya know, i personally don't dig the ronsealed look myself, i hate tan! i love being pale!

I am constantly being advised on the magic and joy that is fake tan; it makes you look slimmer.... apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

i hate the stuff, i have a naturally pale complexion and im proud of it, i don't need fake tan to look good, i just wear clothes/make up that suits my colouring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

I'm really not a fan of it, not my scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I had a housemate who put so much of the stuff on she could nearly pass as being black, it was unreal. Still though she looked ill without any. It doesn't make girls any better looking but if it gives them confidence then sure leave them at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

FatherLen wrote: »

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Of course all the orange dolly birds knocking around town give women who actually know how to apply and use fake tan properly a bad name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Of course all the orange dolly birds knocking around town give women who actually know how to apply and use fake tan properly a bad name.

Done proper you'd never notice a girl was wearing it

Unlike the orange ming mongs trooping about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Fake tan looks....fake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

First thing that comes to mind when I see a Tango'd lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

nice fake tan pic....

beatin to it by chin grin

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

OP are you from 2006 by any chance?

I hate fake tan too, but this topic has been done to death and its popularity has already peaked years ago.
    Pale is the way to be be these days:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

bonerm wrote: »
    Agree 100%. I know so many girls who consider themselves "posh" who wear fake tan and honestly afterwards just look like knackers.

It doesnt work for "celebs", and it doesn´t work for you. Why wont people understand this! Pale Irish skin is not unattractive (unless its been painted orange of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Amazonian tribes smear shit on themselves to mask their scent.
    This is just a natural evolution of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Fake tan looks....fake.

It doesn't if it's done right.My missus gets it put on properly the night before we go out.It's a bit weird because she turns a metallic green colour and looks like something out of V for a few hours ,but then she gets up in the morning and washes it off and it looks like a proper tan:pac:

I hate fake tan too, but this topic has been done to death and its popularity has already peaked years ago.
    Pale is the way to be be these days:cool:

Tell that to all the fake tanned girlies I still see strolling around these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It looks better than skin cancer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

yeah - so many in town, you couldnt throw a (fake tanned) elephants without hitting an orange woman in town. when its done right you dont notice it cos it looks NATURAL.
    i tried it a couple of times to see what the big dealio is - made the mistake of doing that at for a wedding. i looked orange and had streaky ankles. i've legs that look better without that sh*t!

its healthier than a sunbed at least. they might look stupid but at least they're being sun concious i supose

Lumen wrote: »
    It looks better than skin cancer.

Some of us don't care about being tanned, real or fake.

Sun-cream FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Scarydoll

I used to work with a girl that was tan obsessed. She would go on sun beds during her lunch break and get a spray tan done at least once a week.

The lads used to call her pocahontas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The majority of Irish girls i do not go for, and fake tan is probably the biggest reason, or at least their total inability to apply it properly. That and the trashy dress sense. There are some Irish girls that do dress well, but unfortunately, they are very much in the minority.

I was... once.

• Advertisement

grenache wrote: »
    There are some Irish girls that do dress well, but unfortunately, they are very much in the minority.

That's such a crock of shít.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yeah, looks awful. Very very rarely looks good.

I know loads of girls that won't go outside the door without fake-tan and orange make up. I guess it's just because so many Irish girls wear fake tan others follow suit and think that's how you're supposed to look. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

What's even worse is the fact a good amount of them can't even apply it properly. There'll be a strongly defined line around their neck and jawline with orange above and normal beneath like someone wearing a power ranger mask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

It's purely down to media and tv programs. Unfortunately if you don't look the 'norm' you don't get noticed. the norm being tanned, full face of make up, fashionably messy hair (bleached most likely), and dressed in whatever the current fashion permits. Stupid. I'm very very pale and I'm ok with it. but it's just about impossible to get good make up - everything's so bloody orange, it's fairly hard to get clothes in colours that suit pale skin too. grrrr and such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Back when I was in UCD there was a girl who used to come into college every day a lovely bright shade of orange. Not just "oops a little too much tan", but proper oopma-loompa orange (and that was kind of her nickname).
    The fact that she always looked like this meant that it was intentional. She was a very good looking girl without it too, you could tell.

Bizarre. Don't get it myself. A natural snow white girl looks far better than a patchy, funky-smelling orangey mess any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's purely down to media and tv programs. Unfortunately if you don't look the 'norm' you don't get noticed. the norm being tanned, full face of make up, fashionably messy hair (bleached most likely), and dressed in whatever the current fashion permits. Stupid. I'm very very pale and I'm ok with it. but it's just about impossible to get good make up - everything's so bloody orange, it's fairly hard to get clothes in colours that suit pale skin too. grrrr and such.

Have you tried this? :confused:

That's such a crock of shít.
    A venture out on a Saturday night would seem to suggest otherwise :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

The good fake tan is good. Makes them look like a hot piece of toast. MMMM. The patchy orange stuff that the spilled vodka has stripped in patches is not good.

I agree there. Women walking around town looking like the walls of a train station toilet without paper isn't very appealing!

seamus wrote: »
    Bizarre. Don't get it myself. A natural snow white girl looks far better than a patchy, funky-smelling orangey mess any day.

Exactly!
    seamus wrote: »
    She was a very good looking girl without it too, you could tell.

Shame. Why do some girls do that to themselves?

A venture out on a Saturday night would seem to suggest otherwise :)

Must be the places you're frequenting. ;)

Must be the places you're frequenting. ;)
    Cork and Limerick mostly. The odd night in Galway and Dublin. The oompa lumpas in 'belts for skirts' are nationwide. And its been a prevailing trend for some time now. Give me a leather jacket with leggings 'rock chic' look anytime though. Its just a pity we dont see enough of it.

Cork and Limerick mostly. The odd night in Galway and Dublin. The oompa lumpas in 'belts for skirts' are nationwide. And its been a prevailing trend for some time now. Give me a leather jacket with leggings 'rock chic' look anytime though. Its just a pity we dont see enough of it.

Yes, but within each of those urban areas you WILL find women dressed to your liking. ;) Dublin - Camden Street area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

Pale dark haired girls ftw!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

hmm seems like the perfect ploy to get all the pale girls to put up pics. (or GTFO)

hmm seems like the perfect ploy to get all the pale girls to put up pics. (or GTFO)
    Lirange wrote: »
    Pale dark haired girls ftw!!

I'm dark-haired - but not pale. Dammit! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement